Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72926 times)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It already looks a lot better than Supreme commander, if they add bullets it will already be a success.

I'm really happy that they seem to be capable of delivering the promised product.

Also: what the hell is going on with his face!!!!?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:19:53 pm by ank »

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

Apparently it was very hot in the room, from what I understood from the chat. He's fine.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile

So this exists now. Should be interesting. I haven't watched it myself, though.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

just basic, basic, barebones, basic, very crashy alpha, but it is there. Joy!
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Full Sig

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile

I have access to the alpha and I'm up for some games if someone want to try out multiplayer.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

You are so going to post your impressions in that thread...
Full Sig

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, its out in Early Access at steam. for a price of 90$.

I mean, Come on, Kickstarter shouldn't be treated the same as Early Access. Kickstarter is not a risk free pre-order scheme. its a platform for people who believe in your idea to semi donate you so you could bring this project up. it is understandable if they pay more. i mean, they have every right to charge that sum, but it still makes me feel slightly uncomfortable.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Well, its out in Early Access at steam. for a price of 90$.

I mean, Come on, Kickstarter shouldn't be treated the same as Early Access. Kickstarter is not a risk free pre-order scheme. its a platform for people who believe in your idea to semi donate you so you could bring this project up. it is understandable if they pay more. i mean, they have every right to charge that sum, but it still makes me feel slightly uncomfortable.
So don't pay it, and wait.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

They just want to make sure that only the dedicated fans who missed the kickstarter buy it, I suppose.

Otherwise you get the people complaining that the Alpha game doesn't work. (Sūprise)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Also I'm sure it helps further fund development. Still, if you disagree with it just don't pay it. I know I'm not.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Duh, of course i am not going to pay for it.

But by comparing the Early Access to the Kickstarter tier, they are just making kickstarter a risk free pre-order scheme rather than a donation that is based on good faith. kickstart is already being derailed as a pre-order scheme.

Also, i am an alpha backer, willing to spend money on an unfinished game should i pay more, or less? logic says less.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:06:29 pm by burningpet »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Also, i am an alpha backer, willing to spend money on an unfinished game should i pay more, or less? logic says less.
Depends on what they want to indicate they're selling.

1. An unfinished game
or
2. Exclusive early acces and change to influence game development.

Simple question of economics. They want a limited amount of alpha testers, so hence they rise the price to get less customers.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They just didn't want to upset their kickstarter backers, because they treated kickstarter as a pre-order platform.

1 and 2 are exactly the same thing, unless the listener is a drone that function on a limited pre scripted language, ie, every marketer wet dream.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:30:37 pm by burningpet »

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They just didn't want to upset their kickstarter backers, because they treated kickstarter as a pre-order platform.

I am trying to wrap my head around what you are saying here, to come up with some sort of retort, but every time I run into "surely he can't mean that", and I don't want to make a strawman argument.

Are you arguing that the game would have been made, exactly the same without the +1 mill. donations?

Pre-ordering have never included waiting several years for something, this is why crowdfunding is a distinct concept apart from pre-ordering(The only major difference being the time-frame for delivering the product)

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What? how is that question in any way related to what i said?

I am saying that the only reason the early access is priced like that, is because of the Kickstarter alpha tier. they didn't want to upset those who believed in them and supported them early on. but, my argument is that there is a vast difference between kickstarter and an early access or alpha funding. the first being a risk free donation based crowd sourcing platform, the second being a transaction for a game in progress, hence why pricing between the platforms should be totally different.

and also, are you saying that time is the only difference between a pre-order and Kickstarter? how much time?

lets play this little intellectual exercise: if EA had offered to sell an alpha version of battlefield 4 for about x5 more of their estimated released price, what would have been the reaction?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:37:59 pm by burningpet »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40