Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72760 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think they're "replacing" a campaign, Neo.

Never said they were. Heck it was very VERY possible that without Galactic war there is no campaign (which seeing Galaxy mode makes me start to think that they in fact planned no campaign.)

I was just raging against their ONE comment in their video that a "Dynamic Campaign" is a replacement for a "Focused Campaign". Which I then went "No, no it isn't you idiots" and then I went "fine your not idiots but still, not a replacement".

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile

Depends on the game, Neonivek.  RTS' have progressed to the point where its actually hard to tell a story in a scripted way that makes sense without video cutscenes, dodgy actors (animated or otherwise), and hundreds if not thousands of line of dialogue. 

Back when TA was released, they had one guy reading a script in an audio file run during the mission progression to give you updates on objectives and to progress the 'story', and that was just fine. But today, people require more immersion when it comes to the story telling.  Its part of why Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 failed so badly in my opinion.  They just couldn't deliver.

But the Galaxy mode for PA does away with part of that, by allowing proceedurely generated content and the ability for people to basically make up their own stories as they play the game, jumping from point to point in a similiar fashion to most turn-based strategy games or Sins of a Solar Empire.   That's how I see it, and I think it could be cool.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile

I don't think they're "replacing" a campaign, Neo.

Never said they were. Heck it was very VERY possible that without Galactic war there is no campaign (which seeing Galaxy mode makes me start to think that they in fact planned no campaign.)

I was just raging against their ONE comment in their video that a "Dynamic Campaign" is a replacement for a "Focused Campaign". Which I then went "No, no it isn't you idiots" and then I went "fine your not idiots but still, not a replacement".
The only thing bad about a focused campaign is there not to much replay value. I like both but I don't think that kind of campaign would work to well with the game not like in Warcraft or C&C the scale of the game a little to big.

Edit:damn ninja
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:48:58 am by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile

Looks like they've released info on teh final stretch goals.  At 2 million, the devs will create a full orchestra score from the same group that did the music for TA and many other games and Hollywood movies since.

At 2.1 million, the team will do a complete start-to-end documentary on the game developement, publiciation, and inner workings of the studio.

Lookin' good, in any case. I'd be happy with just the Galaxy mode.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

The last 2 stretch goals are meh for me really. Nice music is nice but I can just play my own music.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile

Why did they replace the Meteor with a Giant head?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why did they replace the Meteor with a Giant head?

For the lulz, presumably.  And I think it's Scathis, one of the members of the SupCom team and namesake of that rapid fire Cybran experimental artillery...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the scale of the game a little to big

I don't know the way it is set up it seems almost perfect for a focused campaign.

Start off with battles on a single planet... all of a sudden you are in planet to planet.

Which is another thing focused games do well. They help you learn the game quite well by giving every things strengths and weaknesses. Often... even better then multiplayer

"ugh that guy is useless"... "You should see him in the campaign where he is a god send"... "Why is he so useless here then?"... "Because he is so good"... "That makes no sense"... "It makes perfect sense"... "How is the fact that this unit is so good mean he is bad?"... "Because no one uses what that unit is good against because that unit is too good"... "Like infantry in CnC 2?"... "Yeah exactly"

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Well the best part about supcom campaign was that you had the impression of progress as the battlefield gradually increased

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well the best part about supcom campaign was that you had the impression of progress as the battlefield gradually increased

The worst is you often could just lose from "How was I supposed to know there were enemies there? The map wasn't even there!

MIND YOU I am being overly harsh... I actually thought that was an amazing gimic that makes it different then every other strategy game pretty much ever made.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

It sorta teaches you to not metagame as much. As in, "I know enemies won't come from there, so I won't build defenses there" stops being a viable strategy, at least the first time through the mission.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf

This looks like a game I would like to make. And then play the heck out of it. By the looks of kickstarter page, lots of other people too.

I was just a little bit put off from the art at first, but I agree with what was said in the linked interview - too detailed units would definitely loose if put against less detailed but more defined units in a game of this scale. I'd still like the game just a little bit less cartoony looking (kinda reminds me of Spore) but I already like it more than the first time I've seen it so...planet-destroying RTS that is not all grimm&dark? Well, why not?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, almost at $1,700,000 with 55 hours left - it looks like we may be reaching Galactic War!

I'd like to see the orchestral score be reached, but that will probably only be possible if there is about $200,000 in paypal donations - which now that I think about it, isn't too unlikely.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sweet...  saw this when it first appeared on kickstarter, but held off because of no linux release.  Now there is linux and the galactic war better get in!
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I hope we get the music too. TA music was awesome!!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 40