Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40

Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: The dubiousness of expandalone patches. Also Titans.  (Read 72761 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Title is now full again, if apt. I'll update the stretchgoals picture later when they do.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

Now the real question is: What's the last stretch goal?

More game? Or "Now we all buy a Porsche?" The game is funded, imagine the sales
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Its a much better solution then a scripted single player campaign"

No you stupid idiots... a lot of RTS games were very fun because of their "Scripted single player campaign" because you can do things in a scripted single player campaign you could never do in a skirmish game.

Now normally I wouldn't call someone an idiot... but I wanted to say that at least once because I am getting tired of this "Sandbox is the ultimate expression of gameplay" myth more and more and I want to call attention to the fact that focused gameplay can easily trump randomised open ended gameplay.

Ok fine they are not idiots... but seriously I am the ONLY one who isn't suckered in by "Sandbox" and "Randomised" and I cannot blame them for salespitching to death. It is a great feature but NO it doesn't replace a "Scripted single player campaign" because they do not have the technology, ability, or imaginations to actually replace that level of focus with randomisation SO STOP PRETENDING YOU CAN!

RAGE!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've never really liked RTS campaigns. The only one I didn't find dreadful was the Red Alert series (and I haven't really played 3, but that's because EA).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've never really liked RTS campaigns. The only one I didn't find dreadful was the Red Alert series (and I haven't really played 3, but that's because EA).

I've liked some, disliked others.

But I definately played RTS stages that couldn't be done in "Galaxy Mode"

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I don't think they're "replacing" a campaign, Neo. At least they didn't sound like they were. In any case, while a scripted campaign may offer a better experience on one playthrough, only a dynamic campaign can offer a good experience on several.

Besides, nobody said that a "dynamic campaign" can't include scripted elements. As long as they are rare, well-done, and sufficiently numerous so as not to repeat too often, a few scripted-ish encounters in a dynamic campaign can do wonders to spice the game up.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you ever played either of the Supreme Commander you'd know why they won't do a campaign.
Those campaigns was a turd on top of a pretty bad main-game.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile

From what I understand, if PA reaches 1.8million and gets the Galaxy mode, the dev's are going to turn the singleplayer campiagn into a toturial system with a storyline, basically.  To build up to going full scale in the Galaxy mode, which will be awesome.  8)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:30:30 am by Viken »
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

Hopefully the real end goal is "Very user modifiable Galaxy creation engine, with a moderately simple construction kit for user created levels, plus some light scripting elements for both." Or better than that.

Because, you know, that could be done. This isn't quite at a AAA funded level, but it's not too far off. But if it's as good as TA, just better in every way, how can we not be happy with funding it?

Roll on Friday (payday). I've got three kickstarters to pledge to, two indie RLs to donate to and a mobile game I want to support. This is one of them.
It's a game. Have fun.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Am I the only one hoping it won't get to the next stretch goal?

Not that I wouldn't love to have a co-op mode of some kind in a huge galaxy, but it sounds like a pretty massive feature and for very little more money and, much more importantly, no more time. I'd rather they spending the months polishing out the skirmish style system game than on a galaxy mode. Sure they could hire some more people but that only goes so far, and if your looking for people with the fire you want to get involved as well as the talent required to do the task then you may just end up wasting more time again.

I'd be more comfortable if that was offered as an expansion that would be worked on after the game was released to be honest.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile

I don't think you get it, Shades.  The developement of PA wasn't even STARTED until they received the go for the minimum funding through Kickstarter.   But really, if its already a planned feature (even as a stretch goal), its alot easier to design and impliment it into a new engine than to tack it on later as an expansion or some such.

Personally I'd enjoy the Galaxy mode for long-term replayability that combines both tactical and strategic levels of immersion.  Why go after a few star systems when you could potentionally dominate an entire galaxy?  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Planning for and building a working, polished and bug free version are very different.

No reason they can't plan for something they know they have desire and funding for and then leave it at that. Much better than them realising they have bitten off far more than they can chew and we end up with a game that not as good in both the galaxy and the skirmish mode as it would have been.

I as said it's not that I wouldn't love the galaxy mode it's just I'd rather have a good game than a half game with galaxy mode tacked on.
Either way the delivery date they are aiming for is the same, and it's not like you can just throw more devs at a problem and solve it faster. Time is the critical resource at this point, not money.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think Galaxy mode would be that much more work.
A lot of the recourses needed for it to work will already be in the game, such as:
Moving units from one planet to another.
Planetary orbits(maybe)
All the sun and planetary objects are already done.

so, the todo list actually becomes a lot smaller for this mode. I consider the actual generation of the Galaxy as trivial, automatically creating galaxies has been done hundreds of times before.

So, they just need to make the actual gameplay parts, how the hell will it work? nobody knows!

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile

I think shades is just overestimating how hard it is to create a metagame like this. REALLY overestimating. Because, in the end it's just a bunch of interconnected maps with some extra base building features. However, it could provide a lot of fun for a lot of people. I am in full support of "Galaxy mode".
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think shades is just overestimating how hard it is to create a metagame like this. REALLY overestimating. Because, in the end it's just a bunch of interconnected maps with some extra base building features. However, it could provide a lot of fun for a lot of people. I am in full support of "Galaxy mode".

If you'd had worked with me you'd know I have the bad habit of underestimating how long a task will take to code, not overestimate. But if all it is is an essentially large solar map, and corrispoding GUI elements then fine. But it sounded like it much more than that.

At the very least it has an more advanced generator to be able to dynamically generate galaxy maps rather than just system ones. A story/timeline builder based on what you do which is a wildly variant target depends how complex that is, anything from essentially a system log to a battle analyser so it can show where major conflicts are. Some kind of clan system, which don't forget includes a whole load of clan organisation and communication options, and you know these guys will do a good job so this would also be integrated into the forums. And this doesn't even touch on whatever megabattles covers, probably 'just' lots more players but even than will be a big change.

But yes I could easily be overestimating this goal.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 40