Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Hydroxylic acid: the unknown threat?  (Read 13299 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Hydroxylic acid: the unknown threat?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 09:17:03 pm »

Yeah, it ionizes into (equal concentrations in ideal conditions) H3O (Hydronium) and OH- (Hydroxide) ions.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 09:17:27 pm »

I got halfway through before I realized it was water. Good job on finding a name for it I haven't heard of.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 09:43:32 am »

Doesn't it usually auto-ionize and form a mixture of both?
it only auto-ionizes in the presence of an acid or base, if I rememeber correctly, forming an alkali if it's with a base, and an acid if it's with an acid.
The loss of the H/gain of the H comes from the acid/alkali, it reacts with them, which is the reason when mixing an acid or base with water, you do it small amounts at a time, else it will boil (as one of my mum's colleagues found out when my mum was working as a school technician, the colleague put all the acid in the water, it boiled, and splashed everywhere. she avoided serious harm)

It autoionises regardless. If it didn't, pure water would have a pH of infinity.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 09:50:48 am »

Aye, in any given sample of water, you are likely to find at least some hydroxide and some hydronium.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 10:36:32 am »

I believe the appropriate response is "Fucking water, how does it work?"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 10:43:10 am »

i just drank a bottle of hydroxcilic acid !
I AM MELTING!
HEEeeelp......
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 11:03:43 am »

I believe the appropriate response is "Fucking water, how does it work?"

I suddenly felt a deep spark of manlove for you.  Should pass soon, with any luck.

i just drank a bottle of hydroxcilic acid !
I AM MELTING!
HEEeeelp......

You're a SPONGE, recruit!  Suck it up!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 01:10:27 pm »

While there has been ample warning of the dangers of hydroxylic acid, we cannot forget another substance that is a grave thread to us: TDO or triplet dioxygen. It's a paramagnetic, odorless, colorless gas that is found in high concentrations near parks, farmland and gardens.
Research has found that it has drug-like properties and more than 75% of the world population may be addicted to it. Withdrawal symptoms include shortness of breath, hyperventilation, loss of concentration, loss of vision, a decrease in body temperature, loss of conscious, necrosis and eventually death. In extreme cases, death may set in after less than 10 minutes of withdrawal.

In addition to these symptoms, TDO is a strong oxidizing agent and is often the principle oxidant used in arsony attempts and forest fires. It is used in bulk quantities by both the chemical and agricultural industry, but there is absolutely no regulation against emission of TDO, nor are there any guidelines for the concentration of TDO acceptable in foodstufs, drugs, paints or coatings, although some food products are packaged under a TDO-free atmosphere, officially to retard spoiling.

In humans, excess consumption of TDO has been connected to a variety of illnesses, among which, obesity, DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), exercise-induced heart attacks and cancer. Additionally, high concentrations of TDO have been connected with degradation of among others rubber fittings, steel plating, the spoiling of a wide range of foods and an increase of fire hazards for most combustible materials.

Yeah, it ionizes into (equal concentrations in ideal conditions) H3O (Hydronium) and OH- (Hydroxide) ions.

Ka = [H3O+][OH-] = 10-7. Assuming we're dealing with pure water, that means  [H3O+] = [OH-] = 10-14, which is approximately 2*1015 lower than [H2O]. It does ionize, but you can hardly measure it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:15:11 pm by Virex »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 01:14:33 pm »

Wups, I made a bubble boat

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 01:16:52 pm »

Yeah, I know about the tiny amounts that it happens to ionize into, I just forgot to mention it :P

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 01:49:23 pm »

Ka = [H3O+][OH-] = 10-7. Assuming we're dealing with pure water, that means  [H3O+] = [OH-] = 10-14
Wasn't it the other way 'round? Because 10-14 squared isn't 10-7, whereas 10-7 squared is 10-14.

Damn, I should know that I mean it's been only a year since my last chemistry lesson.

E: Yeah, pH = -1.74*log([H3O]) ergo [H3O] is somewhere just below 7

E2: ABOVE 7. Bluh, I'm getting everything wrong.

You know what screw this.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:55:42 pm by Darvi »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 06:15:15 pm »

Huh you're right, let's do that again.

Ka = 10-14 = [H3O+][OH-] (I had things mixed up here last time)
 [H3O+] = [OH-]
 [H3O+] = 10-7
pH = -log [H3O+] = 7
[H2O] ~= 50 mol/l (it was 54 mol/l or something, but my memory is hazy on this)

So in pure water under standard conditions, roughly 1 in 500 million water molecules will be ionized.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 06:24:34 pm »

This is the kind of semi-derail I'd really only expect coming from the Bay12 community.

We really are an odd bunch, aren't we?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2012, 06:28:28 pm »

It's not a derail, it's exactly what the topic's about!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2012, 06:29:12 pm »

So...anyone feel threatened by lactic acid? :3

Most modern people have some of it in their bodies; high concentrations cause conditions such as stiff or weak muscles. It is found in blood samples from tumors, and it is corrosive both to skin and metal, ie you don't want this in your eyes. Which many people do have, in tiny amounts, sadly. The Globally Harmonized System etc has classified it as an H315 and H318 hazard, and issued precautionary statements P280, P305+351+338 pertaining to it. If certain bacteria grow in the mouth, they produce lactic acid and can cause teeth decay, and ... Gah, can't keep this up :< I don't know enough about it to make it sound scaaaary.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5