Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Some tips to success?  (Read 8534 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Some tips to success?
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 11:43:31 am »

Does increase weight increased STR?  just by walking?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 03:18:28 pm »

i call bs on that, only skill increases increase attributes, train ambushing and swimming and crutchwalking (possibly all at once) and knapping and throwing, the rest can't really be done without an enemy so find a weak ond and change your combat preferences to close combat and go crazy (by the way i noticed that while you don't get experience foe beating on an uncouncious enemy, you do get wrestling exp so theres that, too)
RARRR... I'm a big bad Falcon Demon named Murray who doesn't know what a Legendary Miner is. I'm a MONSTAAA! RARRRR! Oh, oh, pick in my brain. Down I go.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 03:03:49 am »

Can you still get legendary wrestling +10000 by just strangling a zombie, jamming the move key down and afk?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 06:28:14 am »

Well unless your classified as undead you got to keep selecting the part to strangle

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 07:44:36 am »

Gay.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 07:52:07 am »

Easy way is fight necromancers or crappy dungeon goblins just make sure your fast when auto strangling they can get a lucky hit if you continue to use up arrow

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 09:18:18 am »

were creatures are just naked peasants -- often with crummy fighting skills, lob a couple of rocks at them and then strangle, wait to wake up repeat.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 09:21:34 am »

were creatures are just naked peasants -- often with crummy fighting skills, lob a couple of rocks at them and then strangle, wait to wake up repeat.
Well, as long as it's not full moon or it's a special peasant...

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 02:18:55 pm »

Does increase weight increased STR?  just by walking?
yes it does but it is slow.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 09:34:15 pm »

Peasants holding knives or spoons are as tough as any dragon you'll ever meet.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 10:12:48 pm »

The safest thing to do before you start fights is to get some armor and a shield, and then grind a lot, until you are a legendary dodger, shield user, and armor user.

I don't know if this is really obvious or not so I will post how I grind. I usually do this with competent reader human peasant outsiders so it should work for dwarven demigods or whatever you want.

Find a crab, turkey, groundhog, or similar weak creature that you can catch up to. Crabs are slow so you may be able to walk up to them, but it usually involves some sneaking at first. Turkeys are good because as far as I know they don't get exerted. If you can't catch up to anything, throw rocks until you're a legendary thrower / archer (your agility will get higher and make your speed higher), or grind ambusher for a while. Let's say you were able to get yourself adjacent to a crab.

Part one of grinding: set combat preferences to dodge away from enemies, let your dummy hit at you until you are a competent dodger (just push '.', check your skills with 'z'). You will lose a few turns from having to walk back to the crab after you jump away, but that is okay at first.

Part two: grab the crab. Don't do any wrestling moves on it or throw it as far as you can (unless that will be fun, but you will need to get a new crab if you do that). Dodge for a while until you get to be an adequate or competent shield user, or a proficient fighter.

Part three: lie down while you have the crab in your grasp. Somehow this makes shield blocks proportionally more frequent. Night usually falls before you get to legendary dodger, so go sleep somewhere and kill / butcher the crab if you need the food.

Part four: grab a crab, lie down, let the crab hit at you until you're a legendary dodger. Switch combat preferences to block / stand ground. Lie down with a grabbed crab attacking you until you are a legendary shield and armor user. Ta daa. This will stop you from getting hit so much and should also put your speed above 1000 even when fully armored.

Even if you have legendary defense skills, don't charge into a group. You can get a good hit on the person you're charging, but the people next to him can get hits on you "from the side" which is like a backstab you don't get normal dodges against.

If only I would have really thought of that before I fought that horse a while back, even though I knew hooves are lethal as heck...
If you want to kill a horse (or a rhino, or a giraffe...), throw something sharp at it and wait for it to go unconscious from pain, then cut its throat.
I once tried chasing a horse over an icy pond that I knew would thaw out in the morning, hoping to drown it and butcher it. It fell in, but then swam out unscathed.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2012, 07:03:58 am »

Grinding works, but I perfer torture on live victims.  At least until I get bored, which is about 1000 exp points or so.

1}  Disable weapon hand.
2}  Cripple leg(s).
3}  Chokehold.
4}  Knock unconcious.
5}  Torture while holding throat.
6}  Train desired weapon.
7}  Or let then saty awake and strike at you.

Grinding is kinda cheap, and I avoid it when I can.  I go through adventurers too fast anywho.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2012, 10:30:43 pm »

Grinding works, but I perfer torture on live victims.  At least until I get bored, which is about 1000 exp points or so.

1}  Disable weapon hand.
2}  Cripple leg(s).
3}  Chokehold.
4}  Knock unconcious.
5}  Torture while holding throat.
6}  Train desired weapon.
7}  Or let then saty awake and strike at you.

Grinding is kinda cheap, and I avoid it when I can.  I go through adventurers too fast anywho.
after unconcious, do you actually get xp for attacking -- my limited !!science!! says no -- I was collecting teeth (or beaks) from the unconcious victims and I began to realize that he wasn't grinding with the unconcious.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2012, 07:33:33 am »

I feel the whole point of adventure mode is grinding.. Last time i legitly got my skills up took about an hour just to get swords armor and shield up
and i died ten times.. well i was bad then .. still am

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2012, 08:53:21 am »

I feel the whole point of adventure mode is grinding.. Last time i legitly got my skills up took about an hour just to get swords armor and shield up
and i died ten times.. well i was bad then .. still am
And I'd have to disagree... Grinding is a waste of time, with the only point to get skills up on ONE character... but even when you do that, you can still get killed to a lucky cheap shot... completely wasting your character, and therefore your time.

If you go out and do stuff and have fun, at least when you meet an untimely demise you have stories to tell and had fun with the character while he lasted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4