Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Some tips to success?  (Read 8536 times)

Lazerlatté

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some tips to success?
« on: August 14, 2012, 05:23:40 pm »

I need a little help, can I get some tips to success in adventurer mode please?

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Some tips to success?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 06:09:44 pm »

First off, select a civilization, preferably human, that has most of its towns and the like near the coast.

Then, when you are allocating points, put as many stat points as you can into STRENGTH, TOUGHNESS, and DEXTERITY. Put some skill points into armor, dodging, and blocking/shields. Put two button presses worth of points into swimming, and one into reading. Use the rest at you discretion. When picking your name, type in Urist as your first name. Once you've finished with your name and have gotten your gender worked out, begin!

Also, something very, very important: Hitting people with your shield uses the Misc. Object User Skill. I'm not saying you should just bash people with shields, but it can be useful to know.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 08:19:57 pm »

A little guile goes a long way. If you don't feel confident in your ability to survive a straight fight with something, don't have one. Hide out and attack from afar to soften your foe. Lure individual bandits away from their groups and dispatch them one by one. Maneuver yourself so that your enemy has to come to you, giving you the first chance to attack. Basically just thinking a little before you dive into battle can go a long way.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Lazerlatté

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:49:08 pm »

A little guile goes a long way. If you don't feel confident in your ability to survive a straight fight with something, don't have one. Hide out and attack from afar to soften your foe. Lure individual bandits away from their groups and dispatch them one by one. Maneuver yourself so that your enemy has to come to you, giving you the first chance to attack. Basically just thinking a little before you dive into battle can go a long way.

If only I would have really thought of that before I fought that horse a while back, even though I knew hooves are lethal as heck...

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:28:59 pm »

Aiming in fights is always worth it. Disable Feet, arms, and then delivers the coup de grace. Achers are deadly, sneak to them ducking behind every available tree- you want to line of sight. Then when close standard procedure starting with arm or leg.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 02:34:44 pm »

When fighting lashers, always try to wrestle their whips/scourges out of their hand, or attack their weapon holding hand.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 02:39:13 pm »

-Many enemies are war vetrans, meaning they have survived and lvled up their combat skills.  They will lope off a novice's head no problem.

-Throwing rocks is about the best thing ever, esp. against humanoids.  Cracking a skull or fracturing a leg is a huge help.  Sharpen them by holding one (or many) in each hand, pressing X and selecting the appropriate option.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 03:20:57 pm »

When fighting lashers, always try to wrestle their whips/scourges out of their hand, or attack their weapon holding hand.

This is pretty effective for any humanoid really. I like to grab the weapon with my off hand and then see how many stabs I can get in.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 10:36:27 pm »

Shields.  Use shields.  They are the only really effective way to block bolts.  They aren't a sure thing, but nothing in this world is.  Also, when fighting archers, go for the hands first, then the legs.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 10:49:12 pm »

This is a personal style thing, but I like to carry a light weapon in my shield hand
I use it when my primary gets stuck, or lost. You can also diversify your attack types this way. eg battleaxe + dagger

Also, bolts or arrows make better throwing weapons than rocks. You can carry 5 arrows for the weight of one rock, you don't have to knap them, and limb hits almost always chip bones causing most foes to faint.

General advice, this game requires a mindset like playing the old Ghost Recon or Rainbow 6 games. You are not a big damn hero, and even if you are you're still one bullet/stab away from dead. Every action must be thought through, every oppoent aproached cautiously, assuming him to have the advantage.

Never attack a superior force without a plan that chops him into manable bits. Never attack an equal force and fight fair. Never attack an inferior force if they are paying attention.

Take the standard game tropes and chuck them out the window.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 01:09:26 am »

When dealing with long archers go prone, if dealing with multiple people and archers, sneak up on them. There still a 3 tile radius of AI alert when stealth so you can get on the edge of this range and pelt them with rocks.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 08:00:35 pm »

If you want to succeed, you'll have to play another game.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

The_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 10:26:16 am »

Find a quiver and use it instead of a waterskin, it holds 10 water (I have actually had it hold up to 20), or just when you are on your last unit of water in your waterskin, drop it on the ground and then use that water to refill your skin to full. Pick up a second backpack and store everything that is non-essential to a fight inside, like food and trophies, and then drop it right before you get into a fight, thus keeping your speed as high as possible during the actual fight. Use armor and shields, and carry around a skinning knife or some such in one of your hands for a quick head stab if your character doesn't use a bladed weapon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 12:52:57 pm »

If you want to succeed, you'll have to play another game.
Success and failure are not mutually exclusive

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 01:42:25 pm »

Shields.  Use shields.  They are the only really effective way to block bolts.  They aren't a sure thing, but nothing in this world is.  Also, when fighting archers, go for the hands first, then the legs.

^^This. Also, you may want to carry more than one shield. Bonus points if they're all in one hand.

You'll probably want to become a night creature.  I'd suggest a necromancer, since you don't need to eat/drink or worry about bloodthirst, you can still raise attributes, and you can raise meatshields from a wave of your fingers. You can always become a vamp later to not worry about drowning. (Pesky sewers...)

Lastly, there's nothing wrong with making a demigod adventurer. Then there's less worry on grinding, more doing stuff.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: [1] 2 3 4