Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Armored and armed trolls  (Read 1388 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Armored and armed trolls
« on: August 14, 2012, 09:51:51 am »

I'm hoping to make trolls wear armor and wield weapons, to make them more Fun. A troop of LOTR style war trolls arriving with goblin sieges would be really nice. I've tried tinkering with the raws, but had no success. Any help/ready modifications?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Armored and armed trolls
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:28:00 am »

I think there might be hardcoded issues, but you could create a type of troll called a "War Troll" or something, which has armor as a body part and/or tissue, and weapons as body parts. Downside: Without butchering sentients and fiddling around with the butchery item tag thingy, you won't get any use from the troll weapons or armor.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 11:44:58 am »

You can give trolls their own entity and have them wear whatever you like, but they'll be separate from the goblin civilization.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:28:14 pm »

Even if you can make them equip things, a problem lies with the fact that goblins produce different-sized armor than trolls can wear.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 12:29:11 pm »

Actually, that won't be an issue. Armor made by an entity is sized for the wearer, as evidenced by troll clothes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 12:32:11 pm »

Using the castes, would it be possible to include the War Trolls in goblin civilizations?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 12:34:25 pm »

Yes. However, if they were a goblin caste, they would mate and have kids with goblins, but not trolls. Plus side: You wouldn't need to use body parts to arm and armor the trolls, and their gear would be useable.
Sig

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 12:45:02 pm »

They'd interbreed? I didn't know that. So, would the offspring be goblins or trolls, or a hybrid? (I find the latter quite unlikely.) Are the regular trolls essentially riderless "mounts" then? Or what exactly allows them to not be a part of the civ and yet aid them in sieges?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 12:52:53 pm »

Alright...

All castes in the GOBLIN creature can breed with each other, if they're of opposite genders. Goblins can tame pretty much all creatures they run into in non-good biomes, as well as (almost?) all creatures in the caverns. Trolls are cavern creatures and have the tags needed to show up in their own squads--I think it's [SLOW_LEARNER], but I'm probably wrong. If you made war trolls into a goblin caste, they would be part of the GOBLIN creature, not cavern creatures with SLOW_LEARNER. Any questions?
Sig

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 12:57:07 pm »

No, I think that answered the question pretty much. Thanks for the information.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 02:23:34 pm »

Castes was discussed and I have to say, Do you play as Goblins? No? Then why does it matter if they inter-breed or not. Just my two cents :P

EDIT:
sorry i'm late to the game, tl;dr and lazy. lol

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 03:28:43 pm »

The game keeps track of a list of available "siege minions" for each civilization, and that's what trolls are - their [EQUIPS] tag causes them to be spawned with clothing (and [CAN_LEARN] gives them civilian professions), but the game simply doesn't have logic to give them weapons or armor (and experience in the corresponding skills). War animals are stored in that same list, and the presence of [TRAINABLE_WAR] is what makes them show up with said training.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 03:44:15 pm »

Hmm...
With the [TRAINABLE_WAR] tag in the troll raws, will they bring weapons?
If not, we may just have to make a suggestion...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 08:25:32 pm »

I doubt it.

Quietust, do you know what makes trolls come in their own squads?
Sig

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 09:12:45 pm »

Quietust, do you know what makes trolls come in their own squads?

I've discovered the answer to that just 5 minutes ago: creatures come in their own squads if they have [TRAINABLE_WAR] (which is implied by [TRAINABLE]) or [CAN_LEARN] and the enemy civilization has access to them.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:50:15 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2