Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Transforming pets into civilians  (Read 4242 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Transforming pets into civilians
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 11:39:13 pm »

So, to summarize facts:

- Only creatures of entity you've embarked with can do jobs and military service.
- Tame creatures transformed into civ creatures don't become civilians (in means of jobs), but their children do.
- Caste of born child is random according to POP_RATIO tags, this can't be changed with interactions/syndromes.

So, the scheme of
Dogs f + m -> DOG caste of entity creature -> birth
will definitely produce elven child, not dog caste pup - I don't want civilian elves spawn dogs, so dog caste pups should be forbidden.

Lets start from the other end.
If we transform civilian member into another creature, will it do jobs and military?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 11:44:38 pm »

To your Question No

To your summary erm, you are close. Too late for me to correct

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 11:57:16 pm »

The [STERILE] tag does nothing as a creature tag, it only works in syndromes.

Which means that a cheap method of temporary/permanent birth control is to make an interaction/syndrome adding only the [STERILE] tag for a specific period of time, or no specified time period, resulting in permanent infertility.

Unless the tag is buggy and creatures don't become fertile again after the syndrome wears off.

Hugo, for your essence creatures: how does it work? Like this?
1) transform dwarves into the breeding castes of the creature.
2) female gives birth.
3) offspring are members of your fortress, but not TAME/STRAY animals.
4) transform the offspring into dwarves, thus becoming a working member of the fortress.
5) get them to become historical figures through some means, like producing a masterwork bag.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 02:15:12 am »

Aha, got it.
So I just have to transform newborn elf into same CASTE:DOG_CASTE of elven race, as it's parents.
What's the best way to make it?

Can I add interaction to babycare? When mother picks up her newborn, she can transform it into ELF:DOG_CASTE. But ho to specialize interaction to babycare only?

Or give them secretions with contact syndrome, and when she picks up her baby, the syndrome is activated. Side effect - may result in transforming wounded fellows while taking them into hospital...
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 12:08:03 pm »

Aha, got it.
So I just have to transform newborn elf into same CASTE:DOG_CASTE of elven race, as it's parents.

Can I add interaction to babycare? When mother picks up her newborn, she can transform it into ELF:DOG_CASTE. But ho to specialize interaction to babycare only?

Or give them secretions with contact syndrome, and when she picks up her baby, the syndrome is activated. Side effect - may result in transforming wounded fellows while taking them into hospital...

Problem with that, is now the ELF:DOG_FEMALE will just give birth to elves, so now your fort has bitches power spawning elven babies (and maybe more bitches, vicous cycle)

The [STERILE] tag does nothing as a creature tag, it only works in syndromes.

Which means that a cheap method of temporary/permanent birth control is to make an interaction/syndrome adding only the [STERILE] tag for a specific period of time, or no specified time period, resulting in permanent infertility.

Unless the tag is buggy and creatures don't become fertile again after the syndrome wears off.

Hugo, for your essence creatures: how does it work? Like this?
1) transform dwarves into the breeding castes of the creature.
2) female gives birth.
3) offspring are members of your fortress, but not TAME/STRAY animals.
4) transform the offspring into dwarves, thus becoming a working member of the fortress.
5) get them to become historical figures through some means, like producing a masterwork bag.

1. Transform anything into a Male + Female versions (never get born natually, very rare castes)
2. Females give birth to "essence" which is a non-Pet caste of the two parents (and very common)
3. Correct, and since the offspring caste lacks PET you don't get the "Slaughter <y/n>" in the labors menu
4. transform offspring/essence into dwarf, thus becoming a working member of the fortress (because of the lacking PET tag)
5. Yes, they still do labors, but to be drafted into a squad they need to be histoical
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:47:24 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 12:26:41 pm »

Aha, got it.

Problem with that, is now the ELF:DOG_FEMALE will just give birth to elves, so now your fort has bitches power spawning elven babies (and maybe more bitches, vicous cycle)

Yes, and just they pick up their ELF:MALE/FEMALE baby, it should be transformed into ELF:DOG_MALE/FEMALE with same characteristics. Or into ELF:DOG_STERILE, to block their further mating.
The question is the way that transformation should be done... I'm stuck with it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 12:28:56 pm »

Wait, if you made the critters into dwarves and then had them breed, wouldn't they have dwarven kids, or do I just have NO idea WTF is going on?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 12:40:18 pm »

Wait, if you made the critters into dwarves and then had them breed, wouldn't they have dwarven kids, or do I just have NO idea WTF is going on?
Yes, the definitelly will.
Actually, I'm getting bored with all this stuff. Maybe I'll just add rare castes of animal-elves, so they will ocassionally migrate and born at elven retreats.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 03:04:17 pm »

Alternatively, just set your new found caste of animal whatever to a historical figure in Runesmith? Idk if that would work.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 10:43:13 pm »

Yes, children from transformed critters would give offical children, altho the female version the that transformed critter would have to be a caste of dwarf with [PET] so the female requires no marriage to breed

Yes, the definitelly will.
Actually, I'm getting bored with all this stuff. Maybe I'll just add rare castes of animal-elves, so they will ocassionally migrate and born at elven retreats.
Would seem odd to me, but meh they are elves. that's probally how animal-men came to be.

Alternatively, just set your new found caste of animal whatever to a historical figure in Runesmith? Idk if that would work.
It could work, but Runesmith is still being updated yes? DFhack probally has a flag editor, maybe the DFusion part?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 01:10:45 am »

Runesmith isn't, but all we have to do is replace the Memory.xml with the DFHack one.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 01:50:20 am »

Runesmith isn't, but all we have to do is replace the Memory.xml with the DFHack one.
Won't work, it has changed a lot. Waiting for Peterix adapting RuneSmith to currect dfhack

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 01:53:03 am »

Damn.
Well, it's off to Dfusion to edit flags then.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 02:18:55 am »

Making a creature hystorical figure is the least problem here, just send them againist naked captured goblins to get title

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 03:16:37 pm »

Impossible.
You're infected by Putnamia!
Do you by any chance mean

?
Feel free to use this picture anyone :)
Also the disease's name is Putnamititus