Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Here's an idea  (Read 912 times)

Captain Gimpy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Here's an idea
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:45:00 pm »

Add a property to items that is [] which signifies ownership. Transfer the $$ properties to it that means when you pick it up the owner will attack you. Because the coins a bunch of shop owners have aren't marked $$ because they're not selling them, but I can just get the coins and walk out with them and nobody says a word. It's just a way to give things ownership values without making shop owners try to sell you coins.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Here's an idea
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:47:00 pm »

Did you sell anything?  The chest coins should be marked $$ (which just means "associated to shop").  If you sell things, the nice shopkeeper puts some coins on the table for you.  These are yours.

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Captain Gimpy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:47:00 pm »

Looks like it might have been only that one shop that the owner didn't have $$ on his coins. Which means that things losing their $$ property transfers between characters. So when I sold the shopkeeper some stuff on my last character and didn't pick up the coins, my new character was able to walk in and get them.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:49:00 pm »

Ah, this would be true.  You can also scrounge any old crap you drop in previous games.  Dwarves own items and that system has not been moved to adventure mode.  Improving adventure mode towns in many ways is up on the menu sometime after this stabilization procedure we are going through.  But this will take a while...

Captain Gimpy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 08:53:00 pm »

Will the nice shopkeeper ever give me my items instead of just dropping their $$ properties?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 08:57:00 pm »

You can pick them up before you buy them, as long as you don't walk out the door.  Treat it like a regular shopping experience.  Browse around with [k], pick up what you want, bring it to the guy, buy it, then pick up your change.  The teleporting money is the weird part now.  The shopkeeper should have to walk over and do that while you walk to the table as well, but that's not a big deal.

Captain Gimpy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 09:02:00 pm »

While you're here. Will you ever be implementing dwarf unit actions to adventurer mode? Like cutting down trees and building your own little cottage in the wood?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 09:08:00 pm »

Yeah, it's part of the Adventurer Skills Arc from the Version 1 Goals.  Now, what I get to is of course all up in the air.  Progress is of course slow right now because of the recent release.  The Log has more of an image of how things grow, but that run from 4/17 to the release was a bit exhausting.  And it hasn't stopped yet.  In any case, I want to get to some basic survivalist stuff using the butchery and so on, so you can hunt, and then move on to less crucial skills later.