Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need Help with Water...  (Read 970 times)

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
Need Help with Water...
« on: August 13, 2012, 11:27:39 pm »

I've been looking at tutorials and watching LPs for about... 1-2 weeks, and playing off and on. I haven't really gotten anywhere, because I get bored or I just don't really like the fortress. Never because I can't actually MANAGE it. Anyway, enough of my rambling.... I have started another Fortress and It's going quite well. I just cleared out space for a Large Farm, except for in the middle, because there was a little pool of water. I dug out all the walls, and the water spread out a bit. Some of the water evaporated, but a bunch of level 1/7 water tiles are still there. I think it is because it is underground and isn't "Outside." I was thinking about channeling through the layer above it, (the surface) but then I'd need to cover it up so there isn't a hole where I would build my Outside Fortress. But then I thought "Well... I don't want a random wooden floor in my courtyard..." I don't know if there is a way to get rid of the water without channeling, or if you could fill the channel holes back up with dirt? I really want to keep the grassy landscape.

Thanks in Advance--
AlwayzL3git
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help with Water...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 11:56:22 pm »

Channeling won't do anything, it'll evaporate on its own. Also, you should be able to build on 1/7.

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:32:37 am »

Oop. It just evaporated. Took like... 30 minutes. Sorry :\ Well, to make up for it (?_?) I have another question! How can I get rid of water above ground (like a murky pool) Without having to build floors?
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:30:51 am »

Evaporation is random on a per tile basis and so the rate of evaporation is proportional to the number of 1/7 tiles there are.  This means that spilled water will disappear with a half-life, rather than a fixed lifespan. (not totally sure what the half-life is though, but magma has a longer one than water)

Fortunately, as was stated, 1/7 water poses no obstacle to construction or farming.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."