Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 134

Author Topic: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: Lincoln is no match for Acererak!  (Read 371451 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: Trap Freebie
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2012, 10:59:20 pm »

Aww man, I was hoping to get the treasure as a reward for not dying in the pit... wouldn't goggles be worn like armor instead of carried? Alternatively, Lich, could I interest you in a rope and grapple, or some highly incendiary brandy?

Either way, I'll dust the rubble and gore off (again), and approach the swirling misty arch. I'll check the mists for signs of soup mix. After that, I want to check out the gate itself, see if the colorful stones are loose, etc.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Delving the Tomb of Horrors: OH SHI-
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2012, 08:29:28 am »

I agree with the majority of adventures. Cast detect magic on the mouth then go back past the fork and wait for screams of agony Kadzar throwing the soup

[19] The devil mouth seems to give off massive amounts of necromancy magic. If it was any more powerful, your head would probably explode. The rest of the devil's face seems perfectly fine and not magical though.

While Kadzar dies horribly throws soup. I go and cast detect magic on the portal.

[18] The entire portal is just as massively magical as the devil's mouth, but the magic seems to be from the school of conjuration instead of necromancy. If you haven't brushed up on your schools of magic, conjuration is the school of summoning things, healing, creating stuff out of thin air and moving objects around (like teleportation).

I'm pretty sure I saw something about swapping spells for another if we need it, and if I'm right I'll switch Ethereal Walk for Detect Magic, and cast it, examining the archway and demon-face relief

Seeing as you can only swap spells with other Mages and Urist is currently using the only Detect Magic spell, you twiddle your thumbs for a bit. Ho hum.

Either way, I'll dust the rubble and gore off (again), and approach the swirling misty arch. I'll check the mists for signs of soup mix. After that, I want to check out the gate itself, see if the colorful stones are loose, etc.

I carefully examine the archway, while avoiding Kadzar like the plague as he does his soup mix thing. I attempt to deduce if there are any traps, and ask for a mage to use his detect magic sight to check out the archway for magical traps/stuff that could be helpful.

Kazard will also stay away from Kadzar while he does the soup toss thing, and examines the archway as well as the outside of the relief for traps.

As everyone steps towards the archway in a massive huddle, the gems begin to glow with a magically bright light! I... I probably should have shown the graphic now. Oh well. Anyways are you guys sure that you want to search it for traps and things? Just double-checking here.

I'm going to chuck a bit of soup mix into the devil face and see what happens.

As everybody starts cringing/running for their lives, you pull out your soup mix and chuck it into the devil's face. Oh shi-

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Brave Adventurers (click to show/hide)

Okay, map is updated to what I think is about right.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Excellent. I'll put the traps on it when I have time.

((What sort of night vision are we talking here, the "make everything glow bluish-black" like Nightvision in Skyrim, the "amplify ambient light" like real NVG's, or magic "make everything appear as it does in the day" goggles?))

Do you know how Dark-vision works in D&D? It basically grants you dark-vision as long as you wear it.

Posting to watch. Hmm this might be off topic and distracting but I might try to make this as a mega project.

Good luck. I doubt that even half of the things in this dungeon are possible to recreate in Dwarf Fortress (or Minecraft or whatever you were going to make the mega project in).

Aww man, I was hoping to get the treasure as a reward for not dying in the pit... wouldn't goggles be worn like armor instead of carried?

That's... a good idea. I'm sure that Lich180 will gladly hand the goggles back, right?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Delving the Tomb of Horrors: OH SHI-
« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2012, 08:57:26 am »

"Right. I think it's a good idea that noone goes into that mouth. Just saying."

Step away from the portal and let the others investigate it. Search the walls and the devil face for interesting stuff or treasure, but don't go near the mouth or portal if possible.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2012, 10:48:59 am »

Name: Nambul the Mad
Class: mage

Weapons: Punching Dagger/Wand of Lightning Bolt (15 charges)
Armour: Robe and One of those crazy striped felt top hat things

Spells: Wild magic (Roll on this table and accept the results no matter what.), Detect Magic, Blink, Mage Hand, Irresistible Dance

Items: spellbook of CHAOS, 1 week of food and bedroll

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2012, 11:10:48 am »

I'll wait at a distance for any folks to investigate the misty arch for traps and such, and after they're done, I'll throw the grapple end of my rope into the archway, feel for any resistance or pull on the other end, and get ready to tug it back out.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2012, 01:43:00 pm »

Hmmm. Gently and very carefully push a portion of one of my rations into the demon's mouth, making sure not to push it all the way in or let my hands touch the black. Remove the ration and examine it after placing approximately half of it inside the mouth.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2012, 02:14:45 pm »

Seeing that the situation is handled here, I back out of the north entrance and go to the northeast entrance to ask the double doors which one of them is the liar and which one of them always tells the truth.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:16:59 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2012, 06:04:33 pm »

Step away from the portal and let the others investigate it. Search the walls and the devil face for interesting stuff or treasure, but don't go near the mouth or portal if possible.

[13 + 5] You find absolutely nothing interesting on the devil's face, or around said face, or around the portal either.

I'll wait at a distance for any folks to investigate the misty arch for traps and such, and after they're done, I'll throw the grapple end of my rope into the archway, feel for any resistance or pull on the other end, and get ready to tug it back out.

You chuck the grapple into the archway and... nothing happens. Well, you hear the grapple clank against a wall on the other side of the arch, but that's it.

Hmmm. Gently and very carefully push a portion of one of my rations into the demon's mouth, making sure not to push it all the way in or let my hands touch the black. Remove the ration and examine it after placing approximately half of it inside the mouth.

As soon as the rations touch the mouth, they're sucked in with a soft 'pop'. Luckily you had the presence of mind to not hold onto the rations, so your hand doesn't touch the mouth or anything. Still, it's going to be hard to examine the rations now...

Seeing that the situation is handled here, I back out of the north entrance and go to the northeast entrance to ask the double doors which one of them is the liar and which one of them always tells the truth.

[REFLEX: 1] As you approach the doors in the north-east entrance, you suddenly hear a gigantic slam behind you! Turning around, it appears that a massive slab of stone has rolled across the corridor, blocking your escape route.

Your cries for help attract the attention of Nambul the Mad, Mage extraordinaire. Well, not attract per-say. More like he happened to be teleporting onto the hill at the time, and he's the only one who has heard your cries for help. It's the same thing, really.

Spoiler: Brave Adventurers (click to show/hide)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2012, 06:09:47 pm »

I head towards the source of the cries for help, and cast Wild Magic upon the stone slab.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2012, 06:16:42 pm »

I head towards the source of the cries for help, and cast Wild Magic upon the stone slab.

Alrighty, let me just warm this thing up...

[WILD MAGIC: 346] Caster and random ally exchange heads but retain personalities.

With a squelching sound, Kadzar II and Nambul the Mad swap heads. Well, at least now Kadzar II doesn't have to worry about anything happening to his face.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2012, 06:45:29 pm »

I'll put on those goggles we found, look through em, examine the demon-face and portal, then take them off and trade Midna for that brandy... Figure someone on the front line will get better use out of em.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2012, 06:54:00 pm »

Alrighty, let me just warm this thing up...

[WILD MAGIC: 346] Caster and random ally exchange heads but retain personalities.

With a squelching sound, Kadzar II and Nambul the Mad swap heads. Well, at least now Kadzar II doesn't have to worry about anything happening to his face.
AHAHAHAHA! Well done. Well done indeed.

Poke the end of my pole, about half a foot at most, through the portal for about a minute and pull it out again to see what's happened to the end of it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2012, 07:18:08 pm »

GNHS will stay back.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2012, 07:21:07 pm »

I cast Wild Magic on the slab again, this time whilst chanting litanies to some dark god of madness.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2012, 07:28:11 pm »

I tell everyone what I found out from the detect magic spells then cast dispel on the face, getting ready to run behind some meat shields helpful allies as soon as it’s cast.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 134