Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Controlling mounts in Adventure mode: would it be like minecarts?  (Read 1493 times)

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey there, Bay12ites.

So, I was playing around in arena mode earlier today when I saw that minecarts were spawnable. I spawned one and whaddaya know, you can push them--and ride them. I decided to have some fun with this, and it was pretty fun. It was basically like being a bowling ball.

And then I had another idea.

I spawned another unit with a bow and arrows and made that unit ride the minecart. While I was riding, I started firing at enemy units. And it worked. That's right, folks, mounted archery is now possible. If mounts were included in a later update, I think it would be perfectly feasible to control them like minecarts. Granted, archery while moving should receive accuracy penalties until the rider's riding and archery skills are much higher, but I think, as of right now, most of the building blocks for mounted combat--riding something, having that something plow into enemies, and attacking from atop that something--have been finished.

And this is completely possible in adventure mode with a minecart-spawning reaction.

So, what do you guys think about this? Could this work? Are you interested in riding down your enemies like the Mongols of old?
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Controlling mounts in Adventure mode: would it be like minecarts?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 01:14:39 am »

Toady talk about this in his older Dev casts though mountable units don't give control over the rider. so while we can hack that in you end up mercy to the creature under you. good news is that dragging is totally acceptable.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 07:14:07 pm »

Not being a programmer myself, I don't know how hard it would be to do this: but what if the game treated the situation as though the mount were riding the rider? By which I mean, the sentient character would be in charge of pathing; but add a consideration that increases the speed of the rider to the natural speed of the mount. And especially with the coming split between movement speed and action speed, one could realistically fire a shot while traveling across several tiles rather than "fire this turn, move next turn" type calculations.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:18:27 am »

Not being a programmer myself, I don't know how hard it would be to do this: but what if the game treated the situation as though the mount were riding the rider? By which I mean, the sentient character would be in charge of pathing; but add a consideration that increases the speed of the rider to the natural speed of the mount. And especially with the coming split between movement speed and action speed, one could realistically fire a shot while traveling across several tiles rather than "fire this turn, move next turn" type calculations.
well one all that bit about riding is already done due to minecarts it's just the semantics of getting to ride a unit. I could just body swap into the horse while I'm riding or set up a "if riding then switch 0 slot with mount." and have a switch back incase I want to get off. I got a rough draft on how to make anyone pull a wagon in adventure mode. Though I haven't found out how to store items on to the 3x3 beast.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes