Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't seem to figure out how to link levers to floodgates/bridges.  (Read 9138 times)

FlootsyGaz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hey guys. Been playing Dwarf Fortress on and off, but never seriously. But in the last week or so I've been pretty much all the time, consulting the wiki, and tutorials. The only thing I can't seem to figure out is how to connect levers to things. I've built the mechanisms and levers, but every time I do try to link I run into a stone wall.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Can't seem to figure out how to link levers to floodgates/bridges.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 10:02:34 pm »

Build a lever, and then open up the activities screen from the lever by (q)uerying the lever. You should get an option to link the lever to stuff.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

FlootsyGaz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 10:06:46 pm »

When I do try to do that it states I don't "have enough mechanisms." Do I just have to create a lot more?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 10:20:58 pm »

You need at least 2 mechanisms - 1 for linking to the lever, and 1 for linking to the building.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 10:21:27 pm »

You need one mechanism to make a lever or pressure plate.
Then you need one mechanism to put in the lever, and another to put in the thing you're linking.

So a basic drawbridge would take three mechanisms. If at some point you wanted to run another drawbridge off the same lever you'd need two more mechanisms, because you already have the mechanism for the lever in place.

You probably don't need a lot more at the moment, but anything beyond manually-controlled drawbridges tends to eat mechanisms at an alarming rate. Plus, higher-quality mechanisms are probably better for traps.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

FlootsyGaz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 10:51:33 pm »

Alright. I've figured it out. Thank you all!

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 03:09:22 pm »

Plus, higher-quality mechanisms are probably better for traps.

Anecdotally, I definitely find this to be the case.  I'm not sure what would be considered formal and proper !!SCIENCE!! on the issue.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 03:16:46 pm »

Plus, higher-quality mechanisms are probably better for traps.
I can personally confirm that they are better for traps - not only weapon traps, but even stone-fall traps too!
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 03:55:33 pm »

Anecdotally, I definitely find this to be the case.  I'm not sure what would be considered formal and proper !!SCIENCE!! on the issue.
Testing in 40d (I think that's the last time it was done) was done by putting things on drawbridges and seeing how far they flew when flipped. I've assumed that it hadn't changed since then, but I wasn't 100% sure. I don't use weapon traps very much.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.