Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Adding Multiplayer/LAN to Dwarf Fortress  (Read 20174 times)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Adding Multiplayer/LAN to Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 02:53:34 am »

Let's let this thread die, mkay?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 08:47:23 am »

Just because it's never going to happen doesn't mean that it's a bad suggestion.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 09:31:00 am »

I think that's the definition of a bad suggestion. Well, one of them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 09:32:58 am »

Way to take the troll bait guys. He registered and has made ONE post, this one.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 10:04:49 am »

It was probably the opposite. He felt so trolled that he just never came back.

It happens.
"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 10:22:07 am »

Sadly, troll seems more likely. What happened to us? This community used to be so troll-free...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 11:23:56 am »

an Unfortunate Side-effect of Dorf Fort becoming more and more popular.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 11:59:11 am »

Therefore... I demand that the next release of DF should only be fully loaded upon typing in a 128-character time-limited passphrase available only through entering registration details on a secure web-page, receiving and replying to a confirmation email, providing a number obtained from a personalised hashing calculator in the process.

While I can see this thread being a little off-putting to an honest-to-Armok new player, I think they'd have to understand our general frustration.  (I also didn't get the impression that it was a Troll, but then a good Troll wouldn't look like one, and a non-Troll might look obviously like one because they didn't know better in the first place, so I've no idea where that leaves that bit of Game Theory.)  I wandered in here after posting an (I hope) helpful "Yes, this has been suggested before, as you've just edited", with pointer to the Eternal Suggestions thread.  I think I also saw in the most-recent-threads-in-this-subgroup a title asking for restricted posting to here.  Going to check that out as well, see if I agree with it or not.  (First thoughts, no I don't...  But maybe allowing people to do so after having undertaken some sort of automated test on "how to search for regularly suggested things"?  A kind of equivalent to the Altar Of Literacy in KOL prior to using their chat, I suppose...)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 12:22:26 pm »

It was probably the opposite. He felt so trolled that he just never came back.

It happens.
Doubtful but possible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 09:43:57 pm »

Therefore... I demand that the next release of DF should only be fully loaded upon typing in a 128-character time-limited passphrase available only through entering registration details on a secure web-page, receiving and replying to a confirmation email, providing a number obtained from a personalised hashing calculator in the process.
...You're joking, right?

While I can see this thread being a little off-putting to an honest-to-Armok new player, I think they'd have to understand our general frustration.  (I also didn't get the impression that it was a Troll, but then a good Troll wouldn't look like one, and a non-Troll might look obviously like one because they didn't know better in the first place, so I've no idea where that leaves that bit of Game Theory.)  I wandered in here after posting an (I hope) helpful "Yes, this has been suggested before, as you've just edited", with pointer to the Eternal Suggestions thread.  I think I also saw in the most-recent-threads-in-this-subgroup a title asking for restricted posting to here.  Going to check that out as well, see if I agree with it or not.  (First thoughts, no I don't...  But maybe allowing people to do so after having undertaken some sort of automated test on "how to search for regularly suggested things"?  A kind of equivalent to the Altar Of Literacy in KOL prior to using their chat, I suppose...)
Makes sense.
Sig

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 11:33:20 pm »

We can have an anti-troll captcha that asks questions like, "When was the last time you mentioned Hitler online?".  That'll keep 'em out.

I think maybe there should be a sticky post with guidelines on how to approach frequently suggested topics.  I think a good guideline would be to link to the major past threads on the topic and provide a brief summary of each, along with how your suggestion is different or how it addresses the issues with the past suggestions.

If your suggestion is highly similar to a past suggestion, it would probably be better to post in the old thread.  If the past thread isn't recent, you could put a note that you're necro-ing, so people who read the thread don't get confused if they don't notice the jump in the dates.

slathazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 12:39:47 am »

Multiplayer will be implemented in DF shortly after the First Person Shooter arc is completed.
Is that before or after the third DLC release?
Before, but it's after Today plans to add colonization of other planets, somewhere between those two.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 08:34:43 am »

...You're joking, right?
What makes you think that?

Naw, you got me.  I was joking.

In actuality, I demand that there also be three separate biometric references needed[1], to be continuously, or at least periodically, assessed even whilst playing.

[1] I suggest finger-prints[2] , iris scan[3], and genetic profiling of the entire Y-chromosome[4].

[2] From either hand.  I'm not wanting to be unreasonable or prescriptive, although I appreciate the security implications that arise from this particular laxness.

[3] Allowing us to simultaneously identify those with bloodshot eyes or drink problems and prevent them from playing for significant period.

[4] Because it allows us to ensure that everyone who plays DF has one of those.  Although I'm not too keen on XYYY-owners joining in without a notarised doctor's note.

Joking!  Yes, I am joking!  About it all.  And my sincere apologies if I broke your Sarcasimeters.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 09:22:29 am »

Well, sometimes it's hard to tell...
Sig

SchwartzFace

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 12:15:35 pm »

I've had a somewhat skirting history with dwarf fortress, mainly reading up on how to play as much as I can.  Normally this habit goes on longer the more complicated the subject.  So only really had much exposure to the wikis for the game.  I do intend to slot away time when I can and do some cool shit with DF because it seems neat.

Anyway that's the background a bit to show that I'm not trying to troll.  In retrospect the thread was a silly idea, it was something I casually came up with while discussing the game with a friend.  I don't think it's all that flawed of a plan, as multiplayer with like-minded friends would be brilliant.  It's not like there's no thinking going behind the suggestion, I just wanted to throw the topic up to get a feel about how people think concerning it.

A little painful that people treat something like this as trolling now, times have changed.  I posted the thread and left it for awhile because I thought the boards here moved slowly.  This was also probably a poor judgement lol.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7