Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: replacing tattered clothing  (Read 1631 times)

pabrams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
replacing tattered clothing
« on: August 12, 2012, 08:35:14 am »

I tried searching the forums for this, but got way too many hits.

How do I get my dorfs to replace their tattered clothing?  I tried dumping it all, but they don't seem to want to take the clothes off to dump them. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:20:13 am by pabrams »

pabrams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: replacing tattered clothing
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 08:50:54 am »

bump (ahead of the questions that are already answered)

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:21:30 am »

Make new clothes (mainly shirts, trousers, dresses and shoes). They will take them from the stockpiles and drop their old clothes on the ground or stuff them in cabinets they own.

Make extra stockpiles for clothes and sell the worn out stuff to the caravans.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:21:39 am by Laurin »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 11:12:18 pm »

If they get a bad thought from it, and you have alternatives accesible to them, they will soon replace it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:49:29 am »

Bumping your own thread after 15 minutes is bad form, I'd say.  Give people some time.

You don't say which version you are using.  In 0.34.11 civilian dwarves will replace their own clothing given the availability of spares.  In fact, with a sufficiently populated fort you will have a hard time keeping up with the demand for new clothing after a couple years.  In 0.31.x and earlier, dwarves never replaced clothing.

So, assuming 0.34.11... dwarves get bad thoughts from bare torso, bare crotch, or bare feet.  Therefore you need to make upper-body, lower-body and foot clothing.  Most of the upper-body choices are civilization-optional, so you may not be able to make dresses, or togas, or shirts, or tunics... but you should be able to make cloaks no matter what.  For lower-body, you're pretty much stuck with trousers.  For feet, civilians can wear socks and shoes, but not boots.  Boots are considered armor.

Upper-body clothing that drapes down over the crotch (cloak, dress, toga, etc.) does not count as lower-body covering for bad-thought purposes.  They will still need trousers.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 11:20:57 am »

In 0.31.x and earlier, dwarves never replaced clothing.
Strictly speaking, dwarves did replace clothing in 40d and earlier - in versions 0.31.01 thru 0.34.05, dwarves would claim new clothes but never put them on.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 01:04:23 pm »

Claimed but unworn clothing doesn't count. ;-P
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 01:31:46 pm »

Easy way to automate things is to build a large pig tail farm, stockpile that stores only pig tail plants, 1 farmer workshop on repeat process plants, 2 looms, and 1 clothier workshop. Have the clothier workshop produce shirts, trousers, and shoes on a continual basis. It will keep recycling through and producing an infinite number of shirts, trousers, and shoes.

Then have the only clothing stockpile in your fortress also be a refuse stockpile, but accept no kinds of refuse.

What will happen is that all clothing in the clothing stockpile will slowly rot away in its bins. Dwarves who need new clothes will pick it up before it rots away. Claiming clothes appears to be instant, so usually clothes are claimed the instant they're produced in the clothing workshop, and they will pick them up when they get a chance.

Clothes that rots away in a clothing stockpile doesn't generate miasma or unhappy thoughts if its a masterwork.