Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Update on issue #5516, A fix for overpowered ammunition.  (Read 3479 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: Update on issue #5516, A fix for overpowered ammunition.
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 11:06:45 pm »

Flaming arrows are not accomplished by setting arrows on fire. That only leads to setting yourself on fire. Rather, a greasy rag was wrapped around the tip before shooting, for the express purpose of burning things. Syndrome projectiles are simply not very useful, for the player anyway, since most syndrome casualties are post battle.  I Should also point out that chainmail is terrible at stopping arrows, althought the layering effect of leather+Chain+ Plate could stop frontal penetrations. Typically, an arrow volley fell from above, which is the weakest point in any armor. The issue is, no one will reassemble a set of medieval plate mail, chain, leather and all and shoot arrows at it. A replica made to par would work just fine.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 05:28:30 am »

I guess this argument has moved past me. I wasn't referring to some videos.

I was referring to Agincourthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agincourt

Arrows, like bullets, easily penetrate any armor. You need to only look at the historical record.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:31:00 am by thobal »
Signature goes here.

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 07:11:55 am »

Hmmm...
Different amunition types anyone?
Arrows plus cloth and magma bucket = flameing arrows.
Arrows plus venom barrel equels = poisin  arrows, or even a tranqiliser, for that elusive cave dragon.
Make hunting arrows?
Make flat arrows?
Exploding arrows!?
Make kitten tiped arrows?
The posibilitys are endless!
that almost sounds like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Or were you being sarcastic? srry I didn't want a bunch of people jumping in to say that i insulted the M-word

you bring an interesting point, though in a roundabout way, has anyone actually seen a dart pierce anything?

I Should also point out that chainmail is terrible at stopping arrows, althought the layering effect of leather+Chain+ Plate could stop frontal penetrations. Typically, an arrow volley fell from above, which is the weakest point in any armor. 

the only type of arrow attacks in dwarf fortress are frontal. Yes you are correct, historically a volley normally came from the sky, which is why the arrows came slower, less accurate, and bounced off the armor due to the strange angle.

[edit]
just some spelling and grammer (can you tell?)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:14:08 am by Phlum »
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 10:01:17 am »

Hmmm...
Different amunition types anyone?
Arrows plus cloth and magma bucket = flameing arrows.
Arrows plus venom barrel equels = poisin  arrows, or even a tranqiliser, for that elusive cave dragon.
Make hunting arrows?
Make flat arrows?
Exploding arrows!?
Make kitten tiped arrows?
The posibilitys are endless!
that almost sounds like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Or were you being sarcastic? srry I didn't want a bunch of people jumping in to say that i insulted the M-word

you bring an interesting point, though in a roundabout way, has anyone actually seen a dart pierce anything?

I Should also point out that chainmail is terrible at stopping arrows, althought the layering effect of leather+Chain+ Plate could stop frontal penetrations. Typically, an arrow volley fell from above, which is the weakest point in any armor. 

the only type of arrow attacks in dwarf fortress are frontal. Yes you are correct, historically a volley normally came from the sky, which is why the arrows came slower, less accurate, and bounced off the armor due to the strange angle.

[edit]
just some spelling and grammer (can you tell?)
Doesn't change the fact that a peasant with a longbow will murder a highly trained knight with a crossbow and wearing iron plate. That is a fact the history of Europe will agree with.
Signature goes here.

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 12:14:58 pm »

Just so we know how long it took and the number of arrows that the peasants used.
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 12:34:38 pm »

Yes yes, they bogged down in the mud, what of it?
Signature goes here.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 06:42:21 pm »

Being bogged down in the mud wouldn't mean carp if the arrows weren't good at their job of piercing armor.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 07:49:16 pm »

The Battle of Agincourt was more a case of how not to lunch an attack, than the rise of a new wonder weapon.
The history of Europe shows that shows that armor gets more widespread as time go by, some it must do its job.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 08:28:03 pm »

I like it, one could also give arrows and bolts an even larger range of fire and make archer skills less accurate. One may also ask how a larger range of fire is a nerf, hopefully the less accurate archers would waste more arrows and therefore nerf arrows. Less accurate archers would hopefully mean that throwing is also nerfed.

In all reality we will probably never get archery right without anyone who has first hand experience in combat by archery (rare as hell nowdays) to tell us how penetrating arrows of different matirials are.  The best way I can see to improve archery is ask a sport archer how far they can shoot and how often they can hit. The entire problem that I'm trying to bring to your attention is that we have no idea how accurate the archers of old were and how deadly the projectiles.
Well, we could fire a period bow into a period suit of armor (or a reasonable recreation thereof) that had some sort of realistic fake flesh underneath.  Depends on how much we money/time we think accurate arrow penetration in DF is worth.

I wonder if the Mythbusters have any actual published data beyond the show itself; because I'm sure that I've seen them do this several times.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 08:32:57 pm »

The Battle of Agincourt was more a case of how not to lunch an attack, than the rise of a new wonder weapon.
The history of Europe shows that shows that armor gets more widespread as time go by, some it must do its job.
True enough, but you need pretty heavy or specially-designed armor to deflect a good arrow. again, if this wasn't the case, the English would have had slightly more chance of defeating the French at Agincourt than you would of defeating a brick wall by throwing pebbles at it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 08:27:27 am »

all metal armor is designed to deflect/stop arrows.
but some is soon designed to over come that armor.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 09:35:58 am »

Really? ALL metal armor? Even armor invented before arrows became widespread and swords or lances were mode of an issue? Even armor meant for tournaments or ceremony?
Sig

Bertinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 03:50:04 pm »

The biggest issue is that arrows and bolts are treated like massive hunks of metal instead of wood with a metal tip. The second biggest issue is their tips are 1/10 the size of a spear's tip, because their contact area is absurdly small. A copper arrow is treated as an arrow-sized piece of copper with a tip the size of a needle, moving at the speed of mostly-wood, reasonably-tipped arrow. It's no surprise that they fuck shit up. They don't need to penetrate armor because they'll broke bones through it. Increasing the contact area to something more reasonable (20 is a spear's) will help, but it will continue to be an issue until arrows are treated like they're mostly made of wood. Once that's done, arrows will be underpowered until they can't be dodged and parried like they're being shot from a nerf gun. There's a lot of balancing that needs to be done.

Arrows, like bullets, easily penetrate any armor. You need to only look at the historical record.

So, tell me. If arrows could penetrate armor so easily, why didn't they become ubiquitous like guns? They could, after all, fire significantly faster than early guns, and even have the advantage that they can fire in an arc, allowing them to shoot over defenses and bombard enemy positions. A skilled archer would also have more accuracy and greater range than someone using an early gun. If they could also consistently penetrate armor, why did armor not only persist, but become even more prevalent, more evolved, and more expensive? Why didn't armies simply equip every soldier with a bow with a melee weapons as a sidearm? Why would they ever decide to use guns in the first place? After all, even early guns could not penetrate all armor, and armor was pretty commonplace on the battlefield up until the late 1600s, despite its expense. The "London lobsters", a famous group of Parliamentarian cuirassiers in the English Civil War were known for their heavy, expensive armor, which was known to deflect swords and bullets. Mind you, this was in the 1640s, hundreds of years after guns first arrived in Europe, and after they had already become commonplace in armies.

Despite common myths, no, arrows could not easily penetrate armor. Or at least not in the way you're thinking of. Penetrating metal armor does not mean an arrow is harmful. The reason why is that arrows only have the energy you initially put into them. In contrast, if you're holding a sword and pushing forward with it, you are constantly applying force. If you get through armor with a sword, you can keep applying force and pushing through. If an arrow gets through metal armor, it has to expend a lot of its limited energy to do so. Consequently, when arrows penetrated plate or mail armor, they would often be stopped by the underlying cloth or leather armor, since most of their energy was already lost. Even if they did cause wounds, they did not penetrate as deeply and were much less likely to be serious.

That's, of course, assuming a direct hit from close range. Armor was specifically designed to not allow direct hits. It was curved so arrows would very often hit at an angle, causing them to deflect off the armor.

1.) Chainmail, while not as effective as plate, was not 'terrible' at stopping arrows. It certainly did the job for knights in the Crusades, who were known to have dozens of arrows sticking in them after a battle but still be standing. It also did the job for thousands of years when it was used all across the world by countless civilizations, seeing use by the ancient Celts, Rome, India, and Japan, among others. It was pretty far-reaching for a pretty significant period of time.

2.) By the time plate armor became the norm, leather+chain+plate was not layered. That only happened early in its history when plate armor was limited in where it protected. That would have been extraordinarily hot, heavy, and impractical. Chain was mainly just used in joints like the armpits, back of the knees, etc, where plate armor could not effectively protect, where it would be riveted on the plate armor, or sewn onto the underlying cloth/leather armor.

3.) Do you have any actual sources for the top being the weakest point of any armor? At all? Firing in a volley from a high angle would mean the arrows would hit the armor at an angle, making them much more likely to deflect off it. If anything, it would make arrows less effective, especially since the head and chest were the most protected parts of the armor for obvious reasons.

True enough, but you need pretty heavy or specially-designed armor to deflect a good arrow. again, if this wasn't the case, the English would have had slightly more chance of defeating the French at Agincourt than you would of defeating a brick wall by throwing pebbles at it.
Being bogged down in the mud wouldn't mean carp if the arrows weren't good at their job of piercing armor.

I don't want to get into a thorough analysis, but I'll just leave it at "it's a bit more complicated than that".
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:49:54 pm by Bertinator »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 06:20:10 pm »

...Bows were ubiquitous, at least until guns became not-sucky.
Sig

Bertinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 07:53:15 pm »

...Bows were ubiquitous, at least until guns became not-sucky.

You did not have armies of people with nothing but bows, which you would expect if they could easily penetrate any armor of the day, especially given how quickly you can fire one. You would expect a bow that can fire up to 10 times a minute that can very easily penetrate armor would eliminate armor use on the battlefield before a musket that fires 3-4 times a minute that can maybe penetrate armor, especially if that bow is also more accurate, longer-ranged, and can be used to bombard enemies behind walls or other fortifications.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:01:27 pm by Bertinator »
Pages: 1 [2] 3