Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: A Family Affair - Rogue Trader PbP Campaign IC [Chapter I: the Inheritance]  (Read 7071 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wulfric smiled at the man and replied, "It's perfectly fine to give a fellow crewmen his final rites when there are no priests present to do so, this problem is mostly my mistake I should've had a priest at every chapel at all times for matters like this. Now calm yourselves and let us give this young man his final rites and say our farewells before he goes to be by the God-Emperor's side." With that he walked up to the side of the man, and sat down upon his knees to lead the men in the final rites, and prayers for the deceased.

Take a Common Lore: Imperial Creed test to do the final rites, and lead the crewmen in prayer for the deceased Jain.

Pandemix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Void-Master looks up to the commanding chair of his captain as he listens to the small speech of the Governor, he notices that the Missionary is leaving right after that ended, curious about why he would do such a thing now that they will probably have to discuss about their next steps.

I'm not really sure if he just wants to keep his position longer or if he isn't all so sure that the threat will be dealt with rather quickly...I mean, in one sentence he tells us that basically the threat isn't that big and still in the next one he offers you to turn away...that's a clear indicator to me that the situation is far worse than he wants us to think, however, if he really wanted to stay in place then he would have probably just said that they were about to be totally eradicated..in my opinion it is indeed far worse than he wants to admit.

As he finishes speaking he takes a quick look over the consoles, making sure nothing unusual is actually approaching them.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ferran sat up and listened as the voice came over the comms.
She assumed what she hoped was an intellectual pose, with one arm propped on the throne's armrest to support her chin.

+This is Acting Governor Demin Harmann, serving as regent due to the passing of Governor Gestus Toskhain. You have permission to dock, Aether Hound,+ the voice says stiffly. There's a slight pause and it returns much more relaxed. +Ah... excuse the formalities. They are a necessity to a man of my position. Miss Toskhain - welcome home. We have been expecting you.+

+Oh no, sir, I completely understand. And thank you.+ She waved away the Acting Governor's apology, then let him continue. She frowned lightly as he described the situation, sparing a glance for her various advisors before looking back to the transmitter. She wasn't really certain what the man was getting at, but she certainly wasn't turning around now. That would be embarassing.
'Still... An invasion? Yikes. I guess this is something a Rogue Trader has to deal with, though. Especially if it's my planet, now, for better or worse.'

+Um, thankyou for your concern, but as we've come this far I think we'll come in for landing. I have no doubt that these, erm, traitors will be dealt with soon enough. I'll be fine.+ She hoped. She thought for a moment, then added, +Well... I suppose we can talk more once we've landed, then.+

Unable to think of anything more to say, she shrugged and clicked off the transmitter, settling back in her seat with a small frown.
'I don't think I worded that very well,' She pondered, 'But then again. Hearing about an incoming invasion has to be enough reason to hesitate a little!'

She listened as Elyrion spoke, considering that for a moment before giving a small nod to Jericho, masking her own nervousness with a wry smile.
"Well, I suppose that 'security plan' of yours will be doubly important now, hey?" She picked up a goblet from a small table beside her throne- sadly only filled with juice- and sipped at it, more to occupy herself than anything.
"Er, more seriously," She looked around at the various Officers positioned nearby, giving a small, almost apologetic shake of her head in response to Alexavius, "Does anyone have any thoughts on just what we should do, here? I guess you're probably right, Void-Master, although I don't really know enough about him, or Gehenne, or... my uncle, to say for sure."
She took another drink from her goblet, feeling a tad overwhelmed with all these decisions. 'Just pick an option and stick with it, Ferran. Right now it's a choice of either pressing on or going home, simple.'

She gestured to Elyrion and the many mysterious control panels. "Well, bring us in to dock, then. We can work out a plan on the way. I guess."
Hmm, telling someone else what to do certainly cheered her up a little. That was certainly a good thing about the job, she decided.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Seneschal disappeared after receiving Ferran's answer in the form of a shaking of her head. After a few moments, he was back with the crewmember who had been assigned to bring her both weapons and parrot, imposing figure looking down over the man, who had apparently been slacking off. From the looks of the crewmember, he had also had been subject to quite a talk about his duty - he seemed slightly embarassed instead of angry - the words of a man used to convincing and persuading biting deep.

"Your weapons may be even more important now, although it will certainly be more pleasant if the time to use them does not come so soon." Alexavius said with a somewhat sour smile while the man handed the Rogue Trader both her equipment and parrot.

"And for the matter of your safety, I believe you can trust your assigned officers and your own skill to take care of most problems. Moderate self-confidence never did any human harm as far as I know." he said, nodding towards Elyrion and Jericho.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:13:37 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Bridge

There is simply a curt acknowledgement from the other end at Ferran's choice, and the transmission cuts off. Silence falls upon the bridge for a moment before conversation begins again.

Elyrion, the Void-master, heads down underneath the bridge and walks along the rows of cogitators, peering over his underlings' shoulders to make sure nothing looks out of order. They seem to know what they're doing.

The ship begins to pick up speed, setting a course for the Governor's Station. The distances of space travel make sure they will have time to prepare and decide on a course of action.

+++

Wulfric

Calmed by the Missionary's reassuring words, the gathered crewmen stop fidgeting and bow down their heads and wait for Wulfric to begin. Samon steps aside with a grateful nod.

Since leaving Gareth's flagship, Wulfric has not had much of a chance to perform the final rites. Even before that, there were others who could do it in his place. Old memories from the schola flow back into her mind, of long days spent memorizing chants of penitence, prayers and incantations and litanies of the faithful.

He kneels down at the body, facing the statue, and lets the words come to him, slowly and gradually, reasoning it will sound more formal in any case. The crewmen repeat after him as he begins, calling out to the Emperor to hear their plea, preparing the poor boy's soul for the journey – he makes a few minor mistakes, but nothing damning, and the uneducated crewmen don't seem to notice.

The remainder of the rites go more smoothly, and a few minutes later Wulfric stands up.

'The Emperor protects,' he says, making the sign of the aquila. The others repeat it in a mumble.

Samon approaches after the Missionary is done, offering a solemn nod towards Jain, now sprinkled with blessed water and properly covered with a white cloth.

'Thank you, Missionary,' he says, the relief clear in his voice. 'If I may ask, what was it that brought you here? Do you need us to leave?'

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wulfric gave a glance back at Jain before replying, "I came simply to pray before beginning preparations for our arrival at the station, there is no need for any of you to leave, but I think I should go elsewhere to pray as there are surely others who would like to say there goodbyes to Jain, now I'll be taking my leave I'll have priest come by here soon to attend to anything else that must be done, if any of you have need of me for something send me message through the other priests, you can tell them I said you could." With that Wulfric gave a nod to the crewmen and made his way out of the Chapel, he found people trusted and liked him more when he was kind and he much preferred that way to the way most other priests act. "Now to begin preparations. If the forces of Chaos are really attacking then certain precautions must be taken, and corruption on the worlds of this sub-sector needs to be reassured."

> Send a vox message to another priest and have them go to that chapel to oversee the rest of the funeral.
> Go to the barracks for the ship's marines and talk some of them into acting as my guards when we go off ship.

Pandemix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Elyrion starts to give out orders to the crew to prepare for docking, even if it is still some time till they will arrive.

"Extract our docking struts and check the dock information beforehand so they are already extended and aligned when we hit the docks, prepare the brake thrusters and precision control Thrusters in order to bring us in safely, finally, cut the front weapon energy when we reach the dock so there is no unwanted reaction following should they hit the dock because somoene makes a wrong move again. Continue the scans of the warp surrounding the planet and contact the boarding crew for standard procedure to stand at ready, I do not believe we will face an ambush but preparation is preparation. Also announce the current ETA to the target to the crew and enter Phase yellow of docking procedure, noone should be out in the corridors when we connect to the docks. Close all exterior intakes directly prior to docking and be gentle on the damn control thrusters so we do not crash into the sides of the dock. "

After he is finished issuing orders he calls for one of the crew members to get his guard flak armor, after that he just stands at the front of the controls staring forward, observing the controls of the crew.

>Instruct correct docking procedure, make sure noone fucks up.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wulfric

'Of course, Missionary. Thank you for your help,' Samon says and bows respectfully.

Wulfric heads out of the chapel and uses his microbead to transmit messages through the on-ship vox system. He tries to get other Ministorum priests on the line, but it takes him surprisingly long to reach any. By the time he's answered, he's at the barracks. Wulfric tells the young father on the other end to see to the needs of the chapel-goers. He doesn't say much, but Wulfric gets the feeling he's somewhat overworked. It seems the ship is severely lacking in actual learned men of the cloth.

The barracks are only a small portion of the ship, split into the armsmen armoury and quarters and the small marine compartment. There's only a hundred or so marines on the ship, most of them Navy-trained toughs fighting for the Thrones more than anything.

Entering the marine compartment, Wulfric sees half a dozen of them lounging in the corridor, smoking lho. Their weapons hang carelessly at their side or are missing entirely, but then, the ship isn't exactly in combat, even though the tension of the ship officers from the bridge could've put some wariness into them.

Elyrion

Elyrion's stream of orders carries throughout the bridge, startling unsuspecting crewmen into action and prompting many confused glances. While the overall gist of his orders is understood, it seems many of the crewmen have problems with the specific lingo and level of manual control. A techpriest present casts suspicious glances at the Void-master for his knowledge.

A runner sets out to get Elyrion's armor prepared while he focuses on the minutiae detail of starship navigation. With the clear route to the only habitable planet in the system, most of it is mind-numbing tedium.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Excuse me for the moment, I believe it is time for checking how the crew is doing at the moment." Alexavius said to Ferran, making a short bow and moving away from the bridge and into the halls that led further into the ship. The small amount of time spent inside the vessel had been enough for him to get acquainted with some of the spots the crew used to relax and make idle chat.

Even if he had somewhat of a fame across the sector, he hoped to find something interesting floating amidst the vulgar chatter.

Get to the places where the crew makes idle chat and try to find out rumours and feel the mood of the ship. 42 FEL, Inquiry. Basic Trained.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:07:03 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile

"Ma'am, I'll have to make my leave now. I m-may as well make sure the marines are prepared for when we land, just in case anything goes a-awry." With that Jericho turned and began traveling through the ships somewhat confusing hallways, making his way to the barracks.

Head to the barracks.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wulfric looked around the room and cleared his throat before placing his hand on the hilt of his chainsword, giving one last look around the room he spoke, "Any of you here happen to have a few minutes to spare to listen to a Missionary's request, or are you all to busy guarding the ship from probable dangers?" With that he smiled and looked around the room waiting for a reply.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ferran dipped her head in acknowledgement to Alexavius and Jericho as they went about their business.
'Everyone else seems to have something important to do,' She reflected after twisting in her seat for a quick glance around the room. 'I'm sure there's something I should be doing. I am the Captain, after all... Maybe I should just start getting ready for our arrival.'

With a faint sigh, she got to her feet. She walked over to the Astropath, Ramirez Yorke, giving a small wave to get his attention.

"Um... Astropath?" She wasn't quite sure if that was the correct form of address, she hoped she didn't get it wrong, sh-- Wait no, she was the Captain. She should call him what she wanted, right? Still, she didn't see any need to offend her officers. She was sure 'Astropath' was close enough.

"I'm heading back to my quarters for now. If anyone's looking for me, they can reach me over the comms." She tapped the microbead affixed to her collar for emphasis. Searching for something to say, Ferran realized she really didn't know much about an Astropath's function, save that they were important to any Rogue Trader.

She simply waited for a moment, giving a respectful nod before heading off.

>Speak to Yorke briefly, then head to my quarters.

>Then bring up a summary of our finances, resources etc on a pict-screen and paint my nails in a classy, understated blue whilst reading.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yorke stands up, saluting Captain Toshkain.
"As you command, captain. I will keep an ear open in your absence."
>Test Psyniscience (Per:40) because the captain is obviously worried about something. Better safe than sorry. Inform her of anything unusual.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Bridge

After saying what needs to be said, the officers of the ship begin to leave, one by one, doing whatever they need to to prepare.

Alexavius

The Seneschal leaves the bridge with a respectful bow. The crew is new to him, made up of both House Toskhain retainers and what remains of the old owner's men. The latter's loyalties and thoughts are especially in doubt, but the former can't be safely left unconsidered either, especially with the relations between the head of the House and Miss Ferran being what they are.

Alexavius gets to work almost immediately. He's used to working alone, but with only two days before the Hound reaches the station and the sheer size of any Imperial vessel, he decides to use some help. Choosing men he knows to be perceptive, but more importantly, already loyal and dependable, the Seneschal spreads his tendrils throughout the frigate, his operatives, efficiently directed and tasked, bringing him the chant from the deepest, forgotten holds to the prestigious bridge crew quarters.

Through the day and late into the night, Alexavius is busy processing the stream of information and visiting the crew in various parts of the ship. He notices with some amount of pride his reputation has preceeded him, and hears tales of his exploits spreading as he makes his way around.

Most of the news are nothing special. Actual information about anything trickles down to the crew in small bits and pieces, and it's no surprise they've given birth to a thousand rumours each teller swears he heard up from the bridge room, or from the mouth of the Captain herself. The Toskhain and old owner's crews have mixed fairly well, to Alexavius' slight surprise. Many of the former have brought their families and assorted rabble with them from Olandis, though, who've clashed with the scum who already were present. Still, he doesn't think they'll be much problem to the crew's working efficiency.

The Olandian crew seems in fairly good spirits, though being mostly made up of ex-SDF men their first taste of Warp travel has rattled this somewhat. They are excited to get out of their home system and see the edges of the Imperium, full of danger and fortunes just waiting to be taken. Alexavius gets less from the old crew, but they seem content for now, too.

+++

Jericho and Wulfric

New to the ship, Jericho takes his time before reaching the ship barracks. When he gets there, he spots the Missionary presumably preaching to some of his men.

Wulfric's question is greeted with, for the most part, indifference. The men turn from their conversation, tensing slightly, but they don't seem too threatened by the priest. Perhaps they're not quite aware of his undefined but relatively high rank aboard the ship - subject to the Captain's whims, of course.

'Yeah? What do you want, preacher-man?' one of them asks after a long silence. He's a tanned man with a muscled, compact body and a bulky naval shotgun hanging from around his neck. He drums his fingers on it as he speaks.

+++

Yorke

Once his Captain has left, the Astropath reaches out with his mind and touches the Warp, reading its tides and currents, seeking for beacons in the void around them that could mark warp-trickery or darker foes.

Beyond the background glow of human life, sparks flickering with petty ambitions and emotion, Yorke feels something more. It's faint, too faint, but it's something unholy, tasting of darkest sorcery. He can't shake the feeling it's somewhere ahead of them in the distance.

+++

Captain Ferran

Finding her way to her luxurious if alcohol-free quarters, Ferran Toskhain settles down to study her overall resources, prepared beforehand by the Seneschal.

House Toskhain is one of the most influential noble lineages in the neighbouring sector. On Olandis, their word is practically law, and in much of the surrounding region few are those who openly speak against them. Though they possess considerable material wealth and resources, allowing even wayward scions of the family to match bets like a starship, but their real power lies in the influence they exert over many Imperial institutions while still remaining on friendly terms with them.

Personally, Ferran's wealth is limited to the walls of her ship - but that might change soon if the inheritance proceeds as planned. In any case, she has access to a limited part of the family's wealth for now.

Resource-wise, the ship is full enough with ammo and spare weapons, as well as supplies, and has several components and technology to allow longer periods in the void.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile

Xanatov reclined in his navigator's seat, pale form juddering with each breath he took. Translation from the warp was always taxing, but for some reason it had been worse than usual this time around. After much longer than he expected the navigator felt recovered enough to begin his post-jump routine. Standing up he stretched his lanky form, mutated joints bending at unnatural looking angles. A brief peek at the surface of the warp ocean showed him they had surfaced from the warp at an acceptable point based on his projections. The navigator nodded to himself, before tying his silk scarf across his third eye. Keying the comm his soft voice rasped, "Captain, I have recovered and am ready for another translation upon your command. If there is nothing else you need from me I will retire to my quarters to meditate.

Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7