Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: starting build for savage desert  (Read 1028 times)

nopeasants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
starting build for savage desert
« on: August 11, 2012, 05:42:16 am »

hi everyone.
i am giong to embark on a desert with a brook, no aquifer, enough savagery to get some of the nastier creatures, no evil, a volcano, no trees, deep and shallow metals, clay and soil.
i need a little bit of a hand with choosing my embark stuff.
just tell me what you'd use for this biome.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: starting build for savage desert
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 06:46:46 am »

The very first thing I would do is check among my original seven and see if any of them has green glass among their preferences.  If one turns up, that dwarf gets no skills: they will be learning on the job and they will be doing a lot of work.  The glass industry can replace a lot of other stuff, and if you're heating it with magma and using green glass only, it's completely free.

Whether or not I had a dwarf with an affinity for green glass, I'd take either a lot of bags, or the materials and skills to make a lot of them, quickly.  I've seen a hard working glassmaker get so fast at their job, that out of five magma glass furnaces, four were gathering sand continually and one was making products, and the four still couldn't keep up.  Obviously you won't start off with a rate like this, but you will want a lot of bags for sand.

I would definitely take along several magma-safe stones that I could use for building mechanisms, floodgates and anything else that needs to be around the hot stuff, just in case the map itself doesn't provide any.  You don't need enough to set up your entire magma based industrial sector, but you do need at least enough to get control of the magma and cast some obsidian, just in case it's your only local magma-safe option.

This has nothing to do with what you bring, but I would avoid building or storing anything in the soil layers, or at least not with any plans to leave it there long-term.  Farming for crops is an exception but those only take up a tiny amount of space.  If you're in a desert, you'll probably want to make a tree farm and grazing area eventually, and it's easier to make a really big one (or a small one that can be expanded quickly and simply as needed) if you do it in the soil layers instead of depending on mining and irrigating rock layers. 
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 07:29:10 am »

My general build is often the same with the last two dwarfs changeable.
1. Herbalist/Grower/Brewer - food/booze
2. BuildDesign/Mason/Mechanic - furniture/traps
3. Carpenter/Stonecrafter/Woodcutting - furniture/pots
4. Miner/GemCutting
5. Miner/Weaponsmith
6. ???
7. ???

EQ: anvil, 2 picks, axe,
seeds, booze, food,
dogs, kittens,
geese - eggs,meat,bones,leather

For yours you can take out Herbalist, won't be any plants.
For yours you will want to add wood to EQ, won't be any trees.
For yours you can take out Woodcutter, won't be any trees. (Add it after embark for the caverns.)
If you have the patients you can take out #5, and work with just one miner.
If you need them; #6 or #7 can be militia if it will be a hostile area, and update the EQ accordingly.
From there it just depends what you want to do, glass industry? metal industry? lots of options...

Edit: the last skill brewer, mech, woodcutter only get 1 point each.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 07:30:45 am by Brewster »

nopeasants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 09:07:59 am »

what level roundabout does magma occur on?
and cheers for the replies guys, keep 'em coming

nopeasants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 09:41:05 am »

haha sorry, i copied and pasted the features from another thread, the desert has no volcano.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:34:35 am »

Magma, DEEP! Last layers. Unless you get lucky & get a magma pipe to up to the caverns.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 02:04:44 pm »

Magma is always near the bottom of the map. How far it is from the surface varies, with maps generated as regions tending towards shallower sites than maps generated as an island / island group.

You'll have some logistical problems to solve if the magma is a hundred levels or more from the surface.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 02:09:32 pm »

A tip for bringing along bags: bring sand on embark instead. Each unit of sand costs only 1 Urist, but it will come in its own bag. You can get 24 bags for the price of one that way (bags cost 24 Urists), plus they're already loaded with sand.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 02:11:58 pm »

DFHack will show you where it's at.

For any desert, I bring extra alcohol, since I'm limited to farming in soil layers. One axe is more than enough, until I get to the caverns. 3 picks instead of two, or the materials to make them.

Bring at least 4 wood, so the starting 7 at least can have beds.

For a savage, depending on precise location I'll probably bring some military equipment for the pair who are going to sit up top and keep the critters away. Usually one sword and one crossbow. A minimum of dismemberments is a good idea, particularly if you anticipate necros.

Oh, and Magma tends to be higher in areas with mountains for obvious reasons. I find deserts run a gambit between shallow and deep.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 06:03:18 pm »

i am giong to embark on a desert with a brook, no aquifer, enough savagery to get some of the nastier creatures, no evil, a volcano, [...]

That might have some effect on how deep his magma is, yes?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 09:25:14 pm »

i am giong to embark on a desert with a brook, no aquifer, enough savagery to get some of the nastier creatures, no evil, a volcano, [...]

That might have some effect on how deep his magma is, yes?
haha sorry, i copied and pasted the features from another thread, the desert has no volcano.

definately
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.