Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just a hypothetical moat/wall/crevasse question...  (Read 1545 times)

Woodimt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just a hypothetical moat/wall/crevasse question...
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:00:18 pm »

Howdy all!

First off... I love how this community replies so quickly when noobs have issues.  And oh man, do I have issues.

Second... I won't bother you with my issues, just a hypothetical problem.  I embarked on a map with some steep cliffs, and a sort of plateau promontory on which I built the first entrance.  The idea I'm hoping for is that I carve out a trench around my fortress, and as I expand and descend z-levels, the trench simply expands down with me.  I'll have a ramp on the top level leading to the rest of the map, so that caravans can still get to my fortress, and I can still hunt/fish/forage/etc.  My question is this: I know that, if I were to do this on a flat plain, and make a moat, then certain mobs/beasts/goblins can swim, and the moat wouldn't protect against them.  Are there any creatures that can JUMP a crevasse?  If I make this barrier-of-space one tile wide, will it still keep the goblins at bay, or do I need to make it a certain # of tiles wide to keep my city safe?

Third... thanks in advance for any advice you all are willing to impart!

--Wood

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Just a hypothetical moat/wall/crevasse question...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 10:09:18 pm »

*nobody replies*

But seriously, I'm 90% sure that no creatures can jump. You should be fine with a one tile wide crevasse, but your also going to want a wall and roof for fliers.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 10:09:56 pm »

As far as I know, creatures can only jump downward. So only creatures that can fly would be able to get past.
Note that archers and goblins on flying mounts will still be able to attack.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 10:10:29 pm »

Archers are asspains.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 11:16:33 pm »

I wonder if an enemy subject to rapid ranged attacks could be forced to chain dodge across a gap without bothering to fall and land in between.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Woodimt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 11:32:31 pm »

Weenog: You mean, in a Wile E. Coyote sense?  Maybe I should just remind them to look down.

Scelly9: I'm thinking of adding a 2-z-level wall around the top, to prevent archers from firing from the nearby heights.  Would that be enough to keep me safe?  Or can archers fire up into the air and over the wall?

FuzzyZergling: I'm developing a Strategic Defense Initiative using satellite coordination and ground-based surface-to-air missiles.  And just in case that doesn't work, I'm working on an atom-smasher-type door over the top set of stairs.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 11:33:34 pm »

Scelly9: I'm thinking of adding a 2-z-level wall around the top, to prevent archers from firing from the nearby heights.  Would that be enough to keep me safe?  Or can archers fire up into the air and over the wall?
They can only fire on the same Z-level that they are on.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 11:35:03 pm »

They can only fire on the same Z-level that they are on.
Not exactly true; they can fire anywhere they have line-of-sight. A wall should work fine.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 11:37:14 pm »

Weenog: You mean, in a Wile E. Coyote sense?  Maybe I should just remind them to look down.

I was thinking more like, for example, air dodging in a super smash bros game to make the difference between landing safely and falling off the stage.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 07:56:26 am »

I think that sometimes creatures can "jump" over tiles when dodging.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 09:50:35 am »

you need a roof to keep flying archers/dragons from attacking.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 10:03:35 am »

Dragons don't fly, unfortunately.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 06:46:45 pm »

I think that sometimes creatures can "jump" over tiles when dodging.
They can only jump a single tile IE:
they could jump between the two Xs. ........X
                                                   ........X
In the following case: they could not jump between the Xs.
..............X
..............X

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 07:04:02 pm »

I wonder if an enemy subject to rapid ranged attacks could be forced to chain dodge across a gap without bothering to fall and land in between.
I don't think it'd work with multiple attack sources, since dodging into mid-air would probably turn the unit into a projectile (and make it immune to further attacks until it landed).

Multiple attacks from the same source, however, are definitely capable of doing this: I've trained soldiers in a danger room before, and I've seen them jump over 5 tiles at once when struck by 10 training spears, and I suspect that it'd also work with standard weapon traps...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 11:11:43 pm »

That means that, in theory, a trap loaded with 10 of a trap weapon that hits 3 times could send a target dodging across 30 tiles. (In practice, that many dodges is nigh-impossible, and anyways even if all of the dodges involved shifting tiles there's a low chance that they'd all go pretty much the same way.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2