Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: artifact steel leggins  (Read 4394 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: artifact steel leggins
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 02:06:56 am »

Also, keep in mind that if you don't have masterwork greaves, the leggings probably ARE better individually. Of course, as long as that mood wasn't a possession, you now have a legendary armorer who can make lots of masterwork greaves anyway. Just remember to reclaim them if the owner dies, because Fun will happen if a kobold steals them.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 05:11:24 am »

However, bucklers still allow that hand to carry something else, so they're a good option for marskdwarves-- they can hold a stack of arrows in the same hand as the buckler.

1. There is no limit to how much a Dwarf can carry in one hand. You could equip 300 shields on one Dwarf, and it'd do just that. Slowly.
2. Shields are better. Block more.
3a. Bolts, not arrows!
3b. Bolts go in quivers, they are not carried by hand.
3c. See 1.

One of my elite marksdwarves once carried two spears, one axe, one crossbow and one shield all at the same time. Shot and killed everything she saw, true and true.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 07:32:11 am »

Yeah, I've noticed them carrying two or more things in one hand-- but someone seriously needs to update the wiki.
I was under the impression a dwarf could carry a quiver full of bolts and a stack of bolts in the off-hand.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 07:41:44 am »

So with all this "what can be equipped where" business, what is the most items I can equip on a dwarf for maximum protection... Going full juggernaut, slow as hell, but impenetrable
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 08:17:39 am »

I think Loud whispers posted it in another thread. It's in the wiki armour page, just scroll down a bit.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 08:53:25 am »

Just remember to reclaim them if the owner dies, because Fun will happen if a kobold steals them.
Dwarves don't care if their artifact gets stolen. Nothing in the thoughts screen, no catastrophic drop in mood. That category of bad thoughts is only for masterpieces.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 08:55:37 am »

Just remember to reclaim them if the owner dies, because Fun will happen if a kobold steals them.
Dwarves don't care if their artifact gets stolen. Nothing in the thoughts screen, no catastrophic drop in mood. That category of bad thoughts is only for masterpieces.
Though it will show up as (Lost) on your artifacts screen, forever reminding you of your crushing failure...

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 11:12:18 am »

Oh, the horror, Kobolds stole my artifact kapok mug :D

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 11:41:51 am »

They'll also probably start sending ambushes of stealthed kobold spearmen and what not... which is kind of annoying, I guess, if you're not into koboldite.

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 03:07:56 am »

Ohforfucksake! Few years later and i have 3 artifact steel shields more! Couldn't they make a artifact helm or mail shirt? Grrr...

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 04:20:36 am »

Perhaps: A) They know something you don't.

B) They really like shields?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 07:33:09 am »

Ohforfucksake! Few years later and i have 3 artifact steel shields more! Couldn't they make a artifact helm or mail shirt? Grrr...
I'd say shields are the most important piece of armour :P
Then it's helms/breastplates/mail shirts

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 01:46:09 pm »

I'd say shields are the most important piece of armour :P
Then it's helms/breastplates/mail shirts
yeah, early game, all i use is shield, weapon, helmet. Sometimes, ill do gauntlets too, just cause i HATE it when dwarves get hand injuries. the cancelled job spam is maddening.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 04:00:00 pm »

agreed, anything artifact has such a high quality it's great! to use.
quality always calculates into efficiency of the object

That hasn't really been true since... April 1, 2010.

Material is far more important for both melee weapons and non-shield armor.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 09:45:38 am »

I would argue that boots are more important than everything except helms and shields. A body wound is bad, but can be survived usually, and a hand wound rarely stops a dwarf from doing anything. but a foot wound puts a dwarf on the ground -- making him half as efficient in a fight, and then he needs a crutch to be useful again which will slow him down tremendously until he gets high crutch walking.

I almost always make leggings instead of greaves.
I also, usually, give soldiers mail shirts and plate if I have the supplies.

If you have a legendary fighter (legendary weapon skill, fighter, shield, dodge, etc.) then you could just as well send him into battle nekkid. He'll block everything and move super fast -- what good is armor if you never use it and it just slows you down. Ofc, there is still risk of a stray scourge in the back or a bolt in the head...
Pages: 1 [2] 3