Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: artifact steel leggins  (Read 4396 times)

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
artifact steel leggins
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:23:20 pm »

I'm wondering whether i should equip them on someone or should i stick to masterwork greaves? What's better?

Also, does artifact steel shield offer any benefits? Yes, i have been religiously training all my peasants in armorsmith an forbidding all bars but steel the moment i got mood notification. The results are good.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: artifact steel leggins
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:25:41 pm »

An artifact anything shield is excellent for defense, and a steel one should be heavy enough to make shield bash attacks count, too.

Leggings give you better coverage than greaves, AFAIK.  It might be possible to equip both at the same time but if so, I don't know how.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 09:28:41 pm »

agreed, anything artifact has such a high quality it's great! to use.
quality always calculates into efficiency of the object

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:29:46 pm »

But wiki says that greaves are better! Or something to that effect. I'm torn...

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:36:24 pm »

Really depends on your most common type of enemy. Leggings are chain mail. If you're getting tons of slashing attacks, the chainmail will probably be fine. But if you're getting lots of blunt damage from whatever enemies you face, then I think greaves are better.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 09:41:55 pm »

Artifact steel anything is always worth it, gratz man.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:46:19 pm »

An artifact anything shield is excellent for defense, and a steel one should be heavy enough to make shield bash attacks count, too.

Leggings give you better coverage than greaves, AFAIK.  It might be possible to equip both at the same time but if so, I don't know how.
Both are [SHAPED], so you can't wear both at the same time.
Both have [COVERAGE:100] and [LBSTEP:MAX], so the protection areas are equal.
However legging has [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_CHAIN_METAL], which means it's not as hard as plain metal.
So greaves are better.

For shield, ANY shield is excellent for defense, as long as you have high shield user skill, no matter material or quality.

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 09:53:41 pm »

So, does shield quality matter at all? Because i also have tiger bone buckler...

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:04:10 pm »

Bucklers are half as good as shields IIRC.

The material of the shield does not matter at all for defense.
The weight of the shield matters when clobbering goblins with it.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 10:08:09 pm »

Artifact steel anything is always worth it, gratz man.

I don't know, I'd cuss pretty loudly if I got an artifact steel figurine of dwarves.  The dwarves are traveling.  This figurine relates to the founding of Fuckwitopolis in the year crappy strange moods.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 10:21:19 pm »

Bucklers are half as good as shields IIRC.

The material of the shield does not matter at all for defense.
The weight of the shield matters when clobbering goblins with it.
Indeed.

Also, Shields = 20% chance of total deflection.
Bucklers = 10% chance of deflection.

That's why a dwarf with a real shield can block dragonfire without injury. can't remember exactly how much the quality affects shields/bucklers though.

However, bucklers still allow that hand to carry something else, so they're a good option for marskdwarves-- they can hold a stack of arrows in the same hand as the buckler.

Also yeah weenog I guess you have a point there lol. Still, you could use it as bait.
Or the one that made it. ::)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 11:25:46 pm »

However, bucklers still allow that hand to carry something else, so they're a good option for marskdwarves-- they can hold a stack of arrows in the same hand as the buckler.
Marskdwarves can shoot while wearing shields.
I don't know why there are so many misleading points in this thread.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 11:56:07 pm »

it totally is. You should always have leggins and greaves equipped. Chain under plate, so to speak.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 12:54:02 am »

it totally is. You should always have leggins and greaves equipped. Chain under plate, so to speak.
Chain leggings are [SHAPED], you cannot wear two shaped equipments on the same part of body.
So are caps.
But chain mail shirts are not shaped, so you can wear a mail shirt with a breastplate.
But mail shirt must be OVER breastplate, because mail shirt has [LAYER:OVER] and breastplate has [LAYER:ARMOR].

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 01:19:01 am »

But mail shirt must be OVER breastplate, because mail shirt has [LAYER:OVER] and breastplate has [LAYER:ARMOR].

The layering goes 'under -> over -> armor -> cover', so the mail shirt is actually worn underneath the breastplate. Under is for things like thongs and socks, over is for most clothing and cloth-like armors, armor is for plate armor (greaves, breastplates, gauntlets, high boots, etc.) and cover is for things like cloaks and mittens.
Pages: [1] 2 3