Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Nazca Lines of the Mind: An Early Digital Age Roleplaying Game (1 slot open)  (Read 8492 times)

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile

OK, more turns up sometime today, but before that, just a couple of things:

@10ebbor10: OK, all those actions are fine. I like the fact that, by coincidence, both you and your character are really tired (not fun for IRL your, of course :) ). Just a quick question: What's the conference your are heading towards? I'm guessing General carbon fiber rocket conference? JUst need to know so I can plan things out a little.   

@Zanzetzuken: Once again, all those actions are fine. And as the GM I really shouldn't warn you when you're approaching Fun. However, here are a few facts that your character, as a leader in the field of AI programing, would be all too aware of:

>The Dwarf has just as much potential as any True AI (I see Elrod working on the side project and including any recent AI algorithm breakthroughs from his serious, professional knowledge), its just using it to learn to be a "better" (more realistic) dwarf. In terms of raw, cognitive power it could probably go toe-to-toe with, say a military grade grade Logistics and Analysis AI, if it had access to the proper levels of processing power and extra storage (although the Military AI, would probably have an experience advantage at first, being used to dealing with the "real" world).

>It thinks its a dwarf. It's contact with you is through the ☼Unknown Interdimensional Portal☼, it thinks it lives in the Fortress of Tallowlashed. It has opinions on macaque leather skirts. But its not a dwarf, not really. It's a potentially very powerful AI that thinks its a dwarf. You don't actually know at this point to what extent this Dwarf personality is interwoven through the code. It could just be a sort of simple "mask" it used to interact with you or it could be that everything in the Dwarf's "mind" is tied up in every detail of the fort, the position of the booze barrels, the stack of severed limbs,  the layout of tunnels, everything. And messing with that directly (i.e. just imputing new, hard data like "You now know how to build X") may have...unintended effects.   

>Not really a note, but a question on construction. I imagine (feel free to contradict me) that Elrod made the Dwarf by some variation of the following:

Get latest copy of Dwarf Fortress, generate a nice, big, long history world.
Get additional data on being a dwarf (famous succession fort transcriptions etc)
Expose AI base algorithms to above data
Dwarf AI profit.

With a lot more sleepless nights coding than that little list implies.

>Again, it's a dwarf. And as we all know, the only real problem dwarfs have with killing is ensuring any dwarf corpses/chunks are properly buried afterward.

>If it had been a real world aware AI (like say, something that runs a national power grid) then the equivalent of what it had just done would be something like "give me what I want or I overload all the nuclear power stations".

>No time will pass for the AI if it doesn't have any runtime. Equally, the fact that it presented these demands while only hooked up to your car's computer (relatively low processing power) indicates that this is not a spur of the moment thing. It has been planning this for some time.

>Depending on the undisclosed state of what is really going on in the AI, it could potentially learn to "invade" the really world through the ☼Unknown Interdimensional Portal☼. After all, almost all non-custombuilt systems have internet access these days. Dependent on what's actually going on under the surface.

Feel free to go ahead with those actions though (they could work, dice willing). But ask yourself, how sure are you of what the dwarf really wants and of how its capable of reacting if you get it wrong?   

As a final thing, how's everyone feel about the game so far? Anything you really like? Anything that sucks? Let me know!       
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(This game is really awesume. Both your storytelling and the world alike. I am suprised that no one else join.)

1. Tie your hands to the van. So that you wont accidentely fall down or do something very stupid when the kick starts.
2: Get his notepad and a pen, make sure to write down any thoughts.
3. Lie down, take a deep breathe. And start thinking. (As the drugs slowly starts to affect Lars...)
3a:: Has anything stranger than useuall happend lately? Has he been followed? May his phone be tracked, those kind of thoughts.
3b: Does he have any cool ideas on how to improve his van?
3c: Start to write a novel.
3d: If Lars was a snake, how would he look upon the world?
3e: Wouldn't it be cool if the world was created in a negative colour scheme?
3f: Consider to ditch the van and ride on a unicorndwarf to south of Italy instead. That would show them!
4: Start to act out Shakespeare's famous tragedy Romeo and Juliet, loudly. When you don't remember the lines, fill them out with something appropriate.
5: Repeat above until you pass out/fall asleep.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

1. Yeah, there's nothing special planned for that. Just a generic applicable astronomy/ aeroengineering conference.

Also, the game is fun. As an extra potential for fun, the zepellins were intended to be hydrogen powered/ filled, for a multitude of reasons:
    -Helium is limited, hydrogen can be produced at the base
    -Hydrogen can be stored and handled with ease, as it is the main fuel source for the Aurochs
    - Advanced security protocols make such an explosion unlikely.

However, due to the public being easily scared, this is not publically stated. You'll get the info if you ask it, but there are no signs or anythinf.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Spoiler: 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 2 (click to show/hide)

1) The up-loader is actually quite different than what you are thinking of.  Instead of affecting the code drastically, the up-loader gives information to the AI at a rate that the AI would process and understand it.  No coding changes whatsoever, and the AI learned what you are 'teaching' it.

Due to the amount of hazard to that, the AI devices are blocked from going onto the internet, and must be fed information.  Though limiting, it is far safer than the alternative.  (I would like to note that Elrod has a way around this, but it is not within the coding of the AI, and he has to write it up on the spot, to prevent the AI from utilizing the code.)

2) I consider this interesting, and the hidden rolls give you an idea of what is happening in the world around you.  And as I said earlier, some parts are humorous, but I do think that at one point, things will get darker when the characters learn more about the organizations arrayed against them.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I am not as busy but something else will be coming but it will be considerably less time consuming. I will be updating my character profile back on page 3 in about 2-3 days.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nazca Lines of the Mind: An Early Digital Age Roleplaying Game
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2012, 07:41:50 pm »

1. Meet with the contracter and our chief financial officer, assuming they are still on the island.
2. Arrange transport from towards the conference, which is in Europe. Low cost preferabilly. (though still comfortable)
3. See if the interview can be done by someone else, see if the interview can take place somewhere near said conference.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What do you do now?     

1) Plug laptop into car to be able to send data to Dwarf.
2) Tell dwarf that it would probably take too long to do what he is asking, but you have an idea.
3) Say that since royalty does not like to walk around much of anywhere, you could attract one by creating a way to travel between floors without yourself expending any energy.  (I don't think that lifts would be in by this point.)
4) Bring up blueprints of a elevator and upload them to the Dwarf AI (the device that allows communication with the AI also allows the upload of new data by the 'owner' of the AI.)
5) Tell the Dwarf that he could create this in what others would consider a fey mood, but the Dwarf is just building something based off of blueprints.  Then tell the Dwarf that after that is complete, you can give him more things to attract the civilization's leaders, and they would be able to be reproduced around the fort due to the dwarves knowing how it works, instead of not knowing how a device would work if they got it in a trade.

Dusk is approaching. What do you do now?

1. Tie your hands to the van. So that you wont accidentely fall down or do something very stupid when the kick starts.
2: Get his notepad and a pen, make sure to write down any thoughts.
3. Lie down, take a deep breathe. And start thinking. (As the drugs slowly starts to affect Lars...)
3a:: Has anything stranger than useuall happend lately? Has he been followed? May his phone be tracked, those kind of thoughts.
3b: Does he have any cool ideas on how to improve his van?
3c: Start to write a novel.
3d: If Lars was a snake, how would he look upon the world?
3e: Wouldn't it be cool if the world was created in a negative colour scheme?
3f: Consider to ditch the van and ride on a unicorndwarf to south of Italy instead. That would show them!
4: Start to act out Shakespeare's famous tragedy Romeo and Juliet, loudly. When you don't remember the lines, fill them out with something appropriate.
5: Repeat above until you pass out/fall asleep.

It is early morning somewhere on a sideroad in southern Germany. What do you do now?

(This game is really awesume. Both your storytelling and the world alike. I am suprised that no one else join.)
Also, the game is fun. As an extra potential for fun, the zepellins were intended to be hydrogen powered/ filled, for a multitude of reasons:
    -Helium is limited, hydrogen can be produced at the base
    -Hydrogen can be stored and handled with ease, as it is the main fuel source for the Aurochs
    - Advanced security protocols make such an explosion unlikely.
However, due to the public being easily scared, this is not publically stated. You'll get the info if you ask it, but there are no signs or anythinf.
2) I consider this interesting, and the hidden rolls give you an idea of what is happening in the world around you.  And as I said earlier, some parts are humorous, but I do think that at one point, things will get darker when the characters learn more about the organizations arrayed against them.

((Thanks everyone, glad you're enjoying it.

@Evil: Yeah, its weird that we haven't more apps.

@10ebbor10: Glad you went with that, so much more Fun. And of course there's the dramatically increased lifting potential/cheapness. TBH though, you had me at "Zeppelins". The fact that they can/will/might explode into fiery doom is just icing on the cake. Although quiet a lot of people did actually survive the Hindenburg disaster.   

@Zanzetkuken: Good to hear you like the hidden rolls. And you're absolutely right about whats going to happen when you start to figure out what's going to happen when you figure out what's going on.))
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:48:47 pm by Wayward Device »
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Hmmm...I think Elrod is going to be hearing about a steampunk fortress sometime in the near future!  Dwarven...steampunk...that just sounds awesome.  And a moving throne room is a good idea!

@Zanzetkuken: Good to hear you like the hidden rolls. And you're absolutely right about whats going to happen when you start to figure out what's going to happen when you figure out what's going on.))

I want to ask, what dice are you using to determine this? (10, 20, or something else?  I apologize if that was answered earlier in the thread.)

Also, how are the hidden rolls getting +1, -2, etc.?

Finally, I would like to note that Elrod would not be stupid enough to leave his engine running the whole time, and would've rather turned the key to the point where the engine is off, but the battery is still running.

Actions
1) Check the car for a bomb.  He wasn't paying attention for awhile there.
2) Check the battery level by the meter in the dash.
3) Head to Public Car Garage in a middle-class area.
4) Park in the Garage, and turn off the motor.
5) Eat some of the food that was packed, say goodbye to the AI and shut it off for now.
6) Activate Anti-theft system, windows rolled down 1/2 - 1 inch for air.
7) Go to sleep in the retrofitted to be comfortable backseat, putting the stuff back there beneath the seat.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Nazca Lines of the Mind: An Early Digital Age Roleplaying Game (2 slots open)
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2012, 04:45:45 pm »

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)

1.I'm going to take the plane.
2. No interview then. There are enough conspiracies on the internet already*, one more doesn't matter.
3. See if there's a way to allow the material to stay in place. The pressure and heat must have compressed the steel and carbon in one dense mass. Nothing to fix that. Direct him to our financial support for any such matters.
4. If their paperwork is all right, I think we have no reason to/ can't afford to drop this opportunity.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nazca Lines of the Mind: An Early Digital Age Roleplaying Game (2 slots open)
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2012, 04:15:32 pm »

1) Check the car for a bomb.  He wasn't paying attention for awhile there.
2) Check the battery level by the meter in the dash.
3) Head to Public Car Garage in a middle-class area.
4) Park in the Garage, and turn off the motor.
5) Eat some of the food that was packed, say goodbye to the AI and shut it off for now.
6) Activate Anti-theft system, windows rolled down 1/2 - 1 inch for air.
7) Go to sleep in the retrofitted to be comfortable backseat, putting the stuff back there beneath the seat.

Note: A lot of stuff happened to James G. Elrod this turn. A large portion of it will stay with him forever. 
What do you do now?

1.I'm going to take the plane.
2. No interview then. There are enough conspiracies on the internet already*, one more doesn't matter.
3. See if there's a way to allow the material to stay in place. The pressure and heat must have compressed the steel and carbon in one dense mass. Nothing to fix that. Direct him to our financial support for any such matters.
4. If their paperwork is all right, I think we have no reason to/ can't afford to drop this opportunity.

What do you do now?

I want to ask, what dice are you using to determine this? (10, 20, or something else?  I apologize if that was answered earlier in the thread.)

Also, how are the hidden rolls getting +1, -2, etc.?

I'm using 2d6, cos it gives a nice range. 23456 is the "fail" range, 2 being the worst and 6 being a minor screwup. 7 (which is way more common than any middle number on a single dice) gives us our "meh, neither succeed nor fail" outcome and again we have 5 shades of success, 8,9,10,11,12. Skills can take a roll over 12 or under two, but it's treated as a 12 or 2 for all intents and purposes. The only real exceptions to this are oppositional rolls, of which will mostly occur in combat, of which there hasn't really been any yet. As an example: [10+3=13] vs [12+2=14], then whoever won gets a roll to determine the hit against their opponent. Again, it's highly dependent on the situation but that's basically what's going on with the dice.

So: 2-6, fail, 7, neither succeed nor fail, 8-12, succeed.

The hidden rolls got/get + or - depending on initial things you chose about your character and to some extent because of past successes or failures. As a related thing, the hidden rolls are setting up the positions of the currently unknown shadowy forces. Without giving anything away, one of the things about your last turn was that neither the shoe-banging girl or the big guy got to oppose the actions that were taken against them. The reason that happened was the way the hidden rolls fell with regard to this... particular situation. There, I've (hopefully) shed a little light on what going on without giving anything away. Once things have moved to the point where you actually have some idea of what's happening, I can offer a more comprehensive explanation. If your character lives that long and manages to remain a functioning human being :).         

Okay, I am not as busy but something else will be coming but it will be considerably less time consuming. I will be updating my character profile back on page 3 in about 2-3 days.

K, post again to let me know when you've done it so I don't miss it, or PM me.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2012, 03:24:10 am »

1: Search the area for anything else that is strange. Was someone else here?
2: Get into your van, drive for a hour or so.
3: Find a new small sideroad where you can hide for the day.
4. Sleep until nightfall. 

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2012, 04:17:47 am »

Can I grab a spot here before I go to bed?
I'm literally hallucinating ants crawling across the wall as I type this (BIG ASS MOTHER****ING ANTS) so I'd like to grab some bug spray and sleep this off. Is that fine? At least one person PM me so I get the email in the morning and I don't think I dreamed this.
Thank you.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2012, 11:44:44 am »

Wow.  Just wow.  Amazing writing, Wayward Device!

Actions
1) Ask 'Gus' questions about who those people were, why they are after 'me', and where is the last person.
2) When he leaves, start up the Dwarf AI (The device contains a battery that will last 14 hours and runs the device at 1.4 ghtz.) after seeing if you can speak to the girl (if she is not already dead/cannot speak), and Call emergency services for her and her partner (again, if not already dead/Gus's response wasn't that good/to prevent from being blamed for their deaths.)

3) Tell the Dwarf what has happened, including the dream, to get a "in the earth" opinion about what happened.
4) Drive away while listening to the dwarf's response.
5) Get to the other side of town and get something to eat.  (checking for contaminants like before)

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2012, 12:22:53 pm »

1) Ask 'Gus' questions about who those people were, why they are after 'me', and where is the last person.

Just as a note, the little girl is still alive on the floor, just most of her bones are broken. And as far as you know, there's only people in the car park apart form Gus: the (presumably) dead land pirate, the little girl and you.   

There [11] is nothing like humanity in his expression, nothing of the dedicated, caring man you have known for the past two years. As his eyes bore into yours, calmly regarding you as you might a particularly interesting insect, the little rational voice once again chimes in that two people could not be considered a flock. But three might.

Also, that 11 is specifically for you observing Gus.

More turns up later. 

EDIT:

Wow.  Just wow.  Amazing writing, Wayward Device!

Thanks!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2012, 02:50:40 pm »

((The Aurochs had a projected cost of 500 million. While this is a lot in comparison to the Javelins 12 million, it carries more than 10 times as much and can deliver that cargo to much higher orbits. Also, most of the parts are reuseable(provided they don't explode) reducing running costs to 100 million/ launch. ))

Actions probably tomorrow.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2012, 11:50:35 am »

1: Search the area for anything else that is strange. Was someone else here?
2: Get into your van, drive for a hour or so.
3: Find a new small sideroad where you can hide for the day.
4. Sleep until nightfall. 

What do you do now?

2) When he leaves, start up the Dwarf AI (The device contains a battery that will last 14 hours and runs the device at 1.4 ghtz.) after seeing if you can speak to the girl (if she is not already dead/cannot speak), and Call emergency services for her and her partner (again, if not already dead/Gus's response wasn't that good/to prevent from being blamed for their deaths.)

3) Tell the Dwarf what has happened, including the dream, to get a "in the earth" opinion about what happened.
4) Drive away while listening to the dwarf's response.
5) Get to the other side of town and get something to eat.  (checking for contaminants like before)

What do you do now?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7