Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Nazca Lines of the Mind: An Early Digital Age Roleplaying Game (1 slot open)  (Read 8500 times)

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
Re: Nazca Lines of the Mind: An Early Digital Age Roleplaying Game
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 01:00:05 pm »

Yeah, basically.

1.Will. How well you can set your mind to something, resist your pressures brought to bear against you. Simply, its how determined you are in any given situation. A high Will will (lol) let you carry on despite being in severe pain or when all seems helpless. Also helps with situations where you might be to scared to act etc. Basically, its your mental constitution, how tough your mind is. Similarly, a characters with a low Will may become afraid more easily, be more easily influenced by others etc.

2.Play by post, nice and simple.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:01:53 pm by Wayward Device »
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 01:19:34 pm »

Interested, but not sure if I'll be available, depending on how active this will be. I'll go ahead and draw up a char when I have the time and inspiration, though. Will edit this post.
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 01:26:55 pm »

Spoiler: Lars Olofsson (click to show/hide)

I will improve the biography if the concept of the character works. It's a very weird one, but since you said that there was something wrong/weird in this world. Maybe he will fit. And will be fun to play.   
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:19:13 am by Evil Marahadja »

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 02:07:45 pm »

@ Evil: Hmm, I like it, it'll definitely work with what I've got planned.

"Luck":

So, this is going to be ok, but there's going to have to be some changes. What I propose is it in fact be +3 to Minor Uncontrolled E.S.P. (Extra Sensory Perception). How it'll work is that Lars' luck isn't him somehow shaping the universe, but rather that he has subconscious knowledge of future events that may harm or benefit him. In the case of the car accident, it wasn't that he "luckily" survived, but that he instinctively sat in the one seat in the car that wouldn't result in horrible death that trip. Same with gambling, he instinctively bets heavily when he will win, or jobs, where he has a feeling for cash-in-hand work that won't lead to a raid by local immigration authorities and the like.     

This doesn't imply a fixed determinist future, he's just sensing the most likely events and it will only work with things directly related to Lars' interests. It'll be a passive skill, so you can't actively use it (yet), it'll just happen in appropriate situations. 

Now, this is pretty damn powerful, especially for a starting skill, even when reduced to a +3. However, it does work with what I've had planed. One thing I will say is that if you go with this character (and you totally should) you might draw more... attention than the other characters early in the game. Which may be extremely dangerous, depending on how it turns out.

As a meta note, its pretty obvious form this post that some form of psychic powers are going to be available. I had planned to have keep this under my hat until we got going, but since it's not really fair at this point for me to deny others:

If you want a minor psychic power (E.S.P, minor telekinesis, minor empathy etc.) then feel free. Be warned though, those of you who start out with such talents will be under much closer... scrutiny by unseen forces. I'm drawing the line at any power that you can actively control for character creation, unless you want to start in an extremely dangerous situation.   

@Zanzetkuken: You can add a minor power if you want, but your character is totally fine as things stand (and things will be a bit less dangerous for you at the beginning).

EDIT:

@ Deep Waters: Activeness will vary, really depends on how much people post. It won't be a big problem if people post at different rates, most people will be starting off in different places, so it only becomes an issue if you sink up with someone. So, feel free to post a character. Just as long as I get actions from you every now and then, things should be fine.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:15:32 pm by Wayward Device »
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 02:15:02 pm »

Sounds cool. I am changing then. But my character will still assume it is pure luck. I will probably rely a lot on that power, since the rest of my character is quite horrible compared to James G. Elrod.  :P

Btw, how battlefocused is this game going to be? Since my character is very limited on that field. (Which is very logical, most people are´t action heroes.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:22:13 pm by Evil Marahadja »

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 02:20:22 pm »

Sounds cool. I am changing then. But my character will still assume it is pure luck. I will probably rely a lot on that power, since the rest of my character is quite horrible compared to James G. Elrod.  :P

That's basically what I meant about the whole subconscious thing, he doesn't know whats going on, just that he's lucky. And yeah, even though your going to be relying on it, its still going to be really,really useful.

EDIT:

There will be combat, but it won't be a crawl by any means. And you will always have plenty of other options than "beat goonx3 to death" (although you can try that too). It will be pretty dangerous though. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:24:27 pm by Wayward Device »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 02:28:46 pm »

@ Evil: Hmm, I like it, it'll definitely work with what I've got planned.

"Luck":

So, this is going to be ok, but there's going to have to be some changes. What I propose is it in fact be +3 to Minor Uncontrolled E.S.P. (Extra Sensory Perception). How it'll work is that Lars' luck isn't him somehow shaping the universe, but rather that he has subconscious knowledge of future events that may harm or benefit him. In the case of the car accident, it wasn't that he "luckily" survived, but that he instinctively sat in the one seat in the car that wouldn't result in horrible death that trip. Same with gambling, he instinctively bets heavily when he will win, or jobs, where he has a feeling for cash-in-hand work that won't lead to a raid by local immigration authorities and the like.     

This doesn't imply a fixed determinist future, he's just sensing the most likely events and it will only work with things directly related to Lars' interests. It'll be a passive skill, so you can't actively use it (yet), it'll just happen in appropriate situations. 

Now, this is pretty damn powerful, especially for a starting skill, even when reduced to a +3. However, it does work with what I've had planed. One thing I will say is that if you go with this character (and you totally should) you might draw more... attention than the other characters early in the game. Which may be extremely dangerous, depending on how it turns out.

As a meta note, its pretty obvious form this post that some form of psychic powers are going to be available. I had planned to have keep this under my hat until we got going, but since it's not really fair at this point for me to deny others:

If you want a minor psychic power (E.S.P, minor telekinesis, minor empathy etc.) then feel free. Be warned though, those of you who start out with such talents will be under much closer... scrutiny by unseen forces. I'm drawing the line at any power that you can actively control for character creation, unless you want to start in an extremely dangerous situation.   

@Zanzetkuken: You can add a minor power if you want, but your character is totally fine as things stand (and things will be a bit less dangerous for you at the beginning).

I'll use Aura-shielding.  It will take all velocity/damage that would be caused by an incoming object that hits Elrod's skin, and distribute it across his whole body.  When it gets stronger, the damage is lessened before the distribuition.

Instead of leaving it in skills, maybe there should be a new catagory, Power(s), with a scale of 1-X with X being the strongest that it could get, 1 being at it's weakest level (starting).  (I would say a decent maximum would be 10, but it is your choice.)
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 02:47:18 pm »

I'll use Aura-shielding.  It will take all velocity/damage that would be caused by an incoming object that hits Elrod's skin, and distribute it across his whole body.  When it gets stronger, the damage is lessened before the distribuition.

Instead of leaving it in skills, maybe there should be a new catagory, Power(s), with a scale of 1-X with X being the strongest that it could get, 1 being at it's weakest level (starting).  (I would say a decent maximum would be 10, but it is your choice.)

K, but it'll have to start out as a subconscious power. Powers section makes sense, in. Scale will be same as for skills. 1-5, 5 being superhuman, sine they will function like very specific skills (roll 2d6 + bonus). +5 doesn't sound like much, but its actually a hell of a lot. And there will be situational bonuses and penalties that can push things even higher. However, with both skills and powers there will be other, non number things that will effect how you use them to interact with the world. +5 Unconscious Aura Shielding and +2 Perfectly Controlled Aura Shielding are two very different animals. Same as whether you learn to block other, non kinetic forces with it.   

Actually, thinking about it, it actually makes sense that Aura Shielding would be instinctive rather than actively triggered (not much use against bullets if you have to be all 1...2...3...now! with it). 'Course, doesn't mean that things won't change and develop over the course of the game.       
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 03:16:23 pm by Wayward Device »

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 05:40:57 pm »

Hmm, I don't want to be a whiner. But is it okey if I add some skills to my character? I assume that most players are going to be tempted to have a special-power to start with, and if they do, my character would be very bad compared to theirs....

On the other hand, I really like the idea of an average joe surviving just because of his high "luck"...oh well. 

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 06:31:06 pm »

Hmm, I don't want to be a whiner. But is it okey if I add some skills to my character? I assume that most players are going to be tempted to have a special-power to start with, and if they do, my character would be very bad compared to theirs....

On the other hand, I really like the idea of an average joe surviving just because of his high "luck"...oh well.

Sure, I can see where you are coming from. That said, Lars might not be a one man army, but he has all the skills to survive while staying off the grid. Feel free to add some more though, I can see plenty of scope for him to have learnt all sorts of useful stuff being a drifter, traveling around and doing less than legal stuff to get by. But I really wouldn't worry about being underpowered. Things will change throughout the course of the game and you're actually quite well set up to avoid stuff that will be thrown at you. Living off the grid, you'll be hard to track, you have experience surviving alone, leaving places behind you.

And let's not forget your power. It's already saved you from a fatal care crash, a suicide attempt and who knows what else that you didn't even notice. And in raw, mechanical terms, you get an automatic +3 roll to situations that could be dangerous to you or bring you some benefit.It's separate from whatever other rolls, so if you were gambling you'd get your ESP roll, then your gambling roll. That's pretty damn sweet, as I've said before. That's going to apply to a hell of a lot of situations. I've actually been worrying that it may be overpowered. It'll be fine though, things will balance themselves out.

But yeah, add a few more skill if you like. Maybe some breaking and entering/common security type stuff, a skill that offsets penalties a little for actions taken while intoxicated (Lars seems to have had some experience with booze and drugs).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:27:23 am by Wayward Device »

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 07:00:53 pm »

Hmm, I guess your right. He will be a very interesting character to play. He can´t fight his way past enemies. Nor is he that good at charming them. But he is good at getting the hell out of there, and staying invisible.
That said, I took the liberty to spice him up a little. I added a driving bonus, and a auto-mechanic. Both very logical for a person who have lived the past 10 years in a dormobile.

I also added some cool stuff to the dormobile itself. Since it is the only worthy equipment he owns. Btw, this seems like a great game. Looking forward to it.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:08:39 pm by Evil Marahadja »

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 09:21:56 am »

I also added some cool stuff to the dormobile itself.

Even though it's not listed, I assume that It has an awesome mural on the side :).

Anyway, so that's two characters pretty much ready to go, still three slots open. So, if you're interested, please post a character.

@Zenzetkuken: A about Elrod's Aura Shielding, a quick question that I didn't think of before. Firstly, does he know about it? Has it saved him before or is he unaware of it? I know I said it has to start out as an unconscious skill but there's no reason that he couldn't have noticed that he can take a hit pretty damn well for someone of his size, especially if he has a bit of sword/self defense training under his belt. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:27:07 am by Wayward Device »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 09:49:55 am »

@Zenzetkuken: A about Elrod's Aura Shielding, a quick question that I didn't think of before. Firstly, does he know about it? Has it saved him before or is he unaware of it? I know I said it has to start out as an unconscious skill but there's no reason that he couldn't have noticed that he can take a hit pretty damn well for someone of his size, especially if he has a bit of sword/self defense training under his belt. 

He has noticed its effects before, but he doesn't know about it.  All he knows is that, as long as his energy keeps up, he can fight for an extremely long time.

I forgot to mention this earlier.  It stays away from vital organs, and only places damage on those not-so vital (ex. skin, appendix, etc.) and bones, but only to a point.

I have yet another idea for a category for a character.  Knowledge.  While this may not seem like much, it could help characters to do things not on their skill list.  example-sufficient knowledge in chemistry and circuitry would allow someone to build an explosive, despite having no skill for that.  Just an idea I was kicking around in my head.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 10:11:29 am »

Wayward:

Nah, actually it is very gray and...normal. Nothing out of the ordinary. He can't allow himself to attract the wrong kind of attention, can he?  Although he has several different (false) licence plates. But he rarely use them.

Zanzetkuken: Interesting power! How does it work exactly? Can it deflect other things than blows/blunt weaponry? Or if I stab you in the breast with a knife, or shot you in the head? What would happen then?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 10:16:26 am »

Wayward:

Nah, actually it is very gray and...normal. Nothing out of the ordinary. He can't allow himself to attract the wrong kind of attention, can he?  Although he has several different (false) licence plates. But he rarely use them.

Zanzetkuken: Interesting power! How does it work exactly? Can it deflect other things than blows/blunt weaponry? Or if I stab you in the breast with a knife, or shot you in the head? What would happen then?

Did you read this post?

I'll use Aura-shielding.  It will take all velocity/damage that would be caused by an incoming object that hits Elrod's skin, and distribute it across his whole body.  When the sheilding gets stronger, the damage is lessened before the distribuition.

The shielding would stop the knife completely.  Then damage is distributed.  Repeated stabs may split skin, but not much.  A shot would split skin in a few places, and maybe bruise a bone, but up until .40(?) I would be fine.  .40(?) and higher, would do some fairly major damage.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:20:39 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7