Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: i hate clothes  (Read 3168 times)

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
i hate clothes
« on: August 10, 2012, 05:36:50 pm »

so i'm looking for the elegant solution to clothing issues.  The only purpose of clothes is to prevent the bad thoughts, right?  so really dwarves only need cloaks, trousers and socks. 

Someone once told me that leather cloaks were surprisingly good armor, so maybe i should make it all out of leather instead of pig tails.

Although if i'm going to armor everyone i might as well do it for real.  Metal armor doesn't wear out, right?  so i could power out a massive pile of steel platemail.  How would i force them to equip it?  would it really prevent the bad thoughts?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: i hate clothes
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 05:39:26 pm »

Make a dwarven nude beach. Giggle every time you get a large migrant wave.

Anyway, yeah, I don't think metal has wear.
My wooden badge was delicious.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 05:44:21 pm »

My legendary marksdwarf militia commander is completely naked apart from an artifact gauntlet, her quiver, and her crossbow

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 05:44:58 pm »

I just use the metric tons of leather generated by the meat industry to make dresses. Dresses for everyone!

And thousands of pig tail socks.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 05:50:30 pm »

according to the wiki, dresses only cover the top half and so would have to be worn with skirts.  However, i don't want to just make a shit ton of clothes.  If i could make armor once and dump all clothing into the trash smasher, that would wonderful.  However, i don't know how to make the dwarves wear armor without being active military...

Also, does leather clothing wear out slower than cloth?

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 06:36:38 pm »

1. Make leather and bone armor. Decorate it if you want.

2. Draft all your fortress. Dont give them barracks.

3. Asign a uniform with bone and leather armor

4. Never have to worry about cloth-related thoughts ever again because armor doesnt degrade.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 06:50:07 pm »

I draft everyone (or nearly everyone) and put them in inactive (or unscheduled) squads with an assigned uniform.

But I also modded the RAW to have tunics, cloaks, and mittens to have [ARMORLEVEL:1].  Migrants will not show up wearing them*, but they can be assigned as part of the uniform and won't wear out.  I also assign the dwarves shields and weapons so that they can get some training from individual combat drills and such.

* - I initially did the same with trousers.  And had half-naked migrants showing up en masse who rapidly get very unhappy and started tantruming.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 07:54:04 pm »

Even cloth cloaks are pretty nice as a defence.

That said I tend to just sell crafts and buy out the entire caravan. Bins of silk, bins of silk everywhere.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 09:22:18 pm »

Record a macro [Ctrl+r] to make 30 of each essential type of clothing (top, bottom, feet) and spam it on your (j)ob, (m)anager screen. Worn clothing can be traded.

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 09:38:04 pm »

1. Make leather and bone armor. Decorate it if you want.

2. Draft all your fortress. Dont give them barracks.

3. Asign a uniform with bone and leather armor

4. Never have to worry about cloth-related thoughts ever again because armor doesnt degrade.

How to do the step 3? There aren't a bone option in material list.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 10:29:53 am »

Even cloth cloaks are pretty nice as a defence.

One drawback of plant cloth cloaks is their weight, they weigh 5 urists vs 1 urist for leather/silk/wool.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 10:34:51 am »

of course, if you have cave spider silk go for it :P
It's just better than being naked I meant-- I love seeing cloaks deflect that odd hit. :)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 02:21:56 pm »

How to do the step 3? There aren't a bone option in material list.
Make the uniform white gauntlets. Or just use a metal you have an excess of; copper gauntlets are still pretty light and are better at preventing nerve damage than bone gauntlets.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 10:48:23 am »

In my last fort, I had many, many dwarves wearing xxIron Mail Shirtsxx and xIron Breastplatesx, so armor most definately does degrade.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 11:55:03 am »

A combination of mechanics that works fine for me so far:

- dfhack's workflow command can make sure that you have a pretty exact amount of anything on stock. For example, make sure that there are always 20 dresses, trousers, shirts available in the stockpiles. Solves the first problem of how to make sure you always have stock without overproducing.

- a clothes stockpile that only takes from the clothiers shop, only new clothing there for dwarves to pick up.

- a central clothes stockpile that takes from anywhere and doubles as refuse stockpile (or just accept clothes on your refuse pile). Used clothes will go there whenever dropped properly, rotting away automatically. Or put that stockpile without refuse close to your trading depot if you're trading the xVALUEx.

- My only garbage dump is a refuse stockpile aswell, clothes that go there will rot away.

- dfhack's cleanowned command to strip used clothes from dwarves (and owned xClothesx from their bedrooms) and make them dump it to the garbage. I used keybinding to put it to a hotkey and made a habit out of issuing the command after each seasonal quicksave.
Pages: [1] 2