Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461067 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2640 on: April 03, 2016, 05:33:23 am »

Yeah, the AI will usually let you white peace once you take a fort or two, regardless of how many peasants have been massacred. Actually getting a tribute is even worse.
Most wars in history were won with a major battle where one side realised "ohshit we can't actually win this", or their capital was occupied. But the AI in EU refuses to give in unless you siege down half the country and send fleets to deal with Portugal's 10000000 random island forts.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: April 03, 2016, 05:38:21 am »

Nah, you just need to wait for the 'length of war' penalty to go down a bit.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: April 03, 2016, 12:31:15 pm »

The AI used to be very abusable in how quickly it'd give up (particularly over things like "active sieges", where you've got like 1 regiment on their capital), but I'd say that now the length of war modifier is a bit too far.

In the defines, NAI.PEACE_TIME_MONTHS will set the initial length of war modifier (by default 60 months), while NAI.PEACE_TIME_EARLY_FACTOR is a multiplier on that (by default 0.75). This means nations will start with a -45 modifier to any peace deal that ticks down to 0 over 60 months, and from then on ticks up at a 1:1 ratio (because of NAI.PEACE_TIME_LATE_FACTOR). Length of war will actually be a positive reason for the AI making peace past that 5 years.

So what I personally did is changed PEACE_TIME_EARLY_FACTOR to 0.66, so the AI will start with a -40 length of war modifier, but it'll still decay over 60 months (at a rate slightly slower than default). This means it still takes 5 years to get the positive effects of length of war, but it addresses many of those times where you're just short of getting a deserved white peace without occupying their capital or something.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:48:56 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: April 03, 2016, 12:52:45 pm »

Doing a Unify Islam+etc run with Ottomans, decided I would work my way west early to get Sicily and Cordoba. Allied France and Poland, guaranteed Granada. Fabricated a claim in Naples to attack Aragon, who is allied with Austria, Genoa, and Portugal. Had sufficient favors to call Poland but needed to promise France land.

War's going well... then it ends.

Aragon's ruler had died, and the female heir took over. Iberian Wedding fired 2 picoseconds later and the entire war ended in a white peace. Oh, and France doesn't trust me anymore because I didn't get them any land in the "peace deal."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: April 03, 2016, 09:07:16 pm »

Yeah, the AI will usually let you white peace once you take a fort or two, regardless of how many peasants have been massacred. Actually getting a tribute is even worse.
Most wars in history were won with a major battle where one side realised "ohshit we can't actually win this", or their capital was occupied. But the AI in EU refuses to give in unless you siege down half the country and send fleets to deal with Portugal's 10000000 random island forts.
What pisses me off too is that they're the aggressor and all I want is white peace D:
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: April 04, 2016, 01:32:00 am »

How long has the war been going? What are the modifiers? Do they still think they are making progress for some reasons?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: April 05, 2016, 02:49:24 am »

The full patchnotes for 1.16 are online.
Everything seems fine. Some interesting points:
You can form Iceland, which might give an exiled Norway something to do/be.  :P
The reform Rome decision was no joke.
France got slightly buffed and Lithuania nerfed ( all via development).

And for those of you who do not want to read through the Thread here is short tl;dr :
- Why did you nerf Russia, Russia strong
- Forts are broken, when do you fix them
- Why did you fix the fort exploit it was clearly balanced and worked as intended.

But seriously am I the only person who thinks that the fort system is fine at the moment?

And here is the link.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2647 on: April 05, 2016, 03:53:20 am »

But seriously am I the only person who thinks that the fort system is fine at the moment?
Fort system is okay. The warscore buff from occupying provinces that don't have forts is a good change IMO. Annoying for those of us who abused the exploit, but it should make wars a little more nuanced.

Trade Leagues sound like they'd be more interesting if it was easier to establish them. Right now it's restricted to merchant republics and OPMs, but I would like to see shenanigans like with England making a trade league with Holland and Flanders. Otherwise the only place we're going to see anything will be the Hansa. Maybe Venice and Ragusa? But Venice is normally hostile to Ragusa, so probably not.

I was kind of hoping for a proper naval supremacy overhaul, right now navies are kinda pointless unless you want to invade Britain. Being able to occupy provinces with sailors and siege coastal forts would make having a fleet much more important.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: April 05, 2016, 01:28:56 pm »

Spoiler: From the thread (click to show/hide)

Looking at it, I'd say the expansion itself isn't worth the cost. A couple interesting features for specific nations, but the rest seems very unnecessary. Which is good IMO, but it's also disappointing to see paradox continuing to pimp espionage ideas in particular with expansions while leaving it worthless without them.

Playing around a bit, it looks like the states/territories system is much better than I expected. Tying it to areas instead of the massive arbitrary regions makes all the difference. Not having to cheese overseas coring mechanics is great, though it'll make world conquests so easy that maybe they're not even worth attempting. Most of the extreme autonomy changes I've modded in seem unnecessary with it.

Corruption is total throwaway, as I thought it might be. The only action that's needed is planting the slider moderately high and then forgetting it exists, while the game dribbles over itself to reward your exceptional skills of governance with ridiculously good and frequent events. I'm going to experiment with reversing the slider, so it gives you money and raises corruption, while giving other means to lower it. That sounds much more interesting.

The culture changes look almost completely horrible, and buffing France's already ludicrous starting development yet again because the AI sucks is disappointing, yet to be expected.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:32:25 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: April 05, 2016, 06:47:52 pm »

I think that the fort system is pretty bad. I haven't played in Mare Nostrum yet, so I cant say whether the nerf to playing like this "balances" the issue, but forts are godawful. 1 ducat/month per fort per fort tier? That's obscene. I'm not saying that the situation doesn't crop up, but 9/10 the only place where a fort makes sense is on your capital. Later in the game when you're starting to abuse trade mechanics to make crazy money, forts start making more sense - but for the most part, demolishing everything and investing your newfound income into a bigger army is usually better, both offensively and defensively.

I'm spending 800 ducats just to construct and maintain a single lvl 2 fort for a petty decade. That's way too much money to be spending on something that's both purely defensive and wont make an ounce of difference in almost every single war you fight. Either forts need to be far cheaper to maintain or they need to be far more powerful tools. Obviously you cant make them just take longer to siege - stupid long sieges are not fun at all and break the game, as anyone who's fought lategame europe's lvl 6/7/8 fort spam can attest to. There are other options, though. Perhaps forts could act as a terrain penalty - if you're attacking my army sitting in a fortified province, you're going to have to deal with a -1 to all rolls malus.

This is all numeric though, the problem isn't necessarily the system of zones of control itself. If thats just what you mean, then yeah, it could work fine with just a tiny bit of tweaking.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: April 06, 2016, 03:44:31 am »

I'm still on my Inca game, kinda want to get further in before moving to the new DLC. Plus gotta wait for MEIOU and a few submods to update anyway, and it allows time for balancing and people to dive into the mod before I get into it :P

With that...

I have now colonized 99% of all south america's coastline. Holland (which turned into a vassal of his, but don't remember what it was renamed to) has a tiny part of it (just three provinces in southern tip). I colonized around it, blocking him from going further in. And besides those three provinces, Holland completely stopped colonizing. I also have a fort (just the first basic one) in every other province along the eastern coast of South America and going to the south tip. Also a really good fort in Panama (which I upgrade to the best I can get). A couple other coastal provinces have a higher level fort as well, otherwise I mostly stuck with the cheap one.

I also have troops lined pretty much all along the northern, eastern and southern part of South America. So once war comes, not only can they not land troops easily, they have to deal with all my troops. And they can also respond easily when the enemy is landing his forces.

England is still a good ally, he got a really good military leader so his military tech is really good. He keeps feeding provinces to Canada, which has a high liberty desire. Too far north for me to interfere lol.

Spain still hates me, and he also hasn't colonized at all in ages. I think I "broke" Spain by kicking him out of the Americas :P He isn't even colonizing Africa, he isn't really doing anything at all lol. For the past 50 years, he literally has done NOTHING lol. No wars, no expansions, no colonizing, nothing at all. Oh well...good for me :P

France is colonizing north Mexico into what would be Texas. France is actually doing some pretty heavy colonizing of North America, more than even England is. I plan to declare war on his colony once I get the rebellions under control (the Spanish colonies I took keep revolting). Which is looking to be kinda long-term problem I am dealing with. The unrest keeps being really high, even after beating rebels after rebels. I also would rather be able to build an actual invasion army (which I do have an okay sized invasion force sitting on my capital), and not use my defensive troops. But, France doesn't really pose much of a threat, and lost a war in Europe pretty recently in the game and white peaced a second. Plus England is rivals with France, and they'd join the war (I got favors, but they'd join anyway) and their military tech is 2 levels higher than France. France does have good allies (but England could still beat them) and could probably beat my navy. But he would lose his colonies since that is a long distance war, which I have the advantage of. And its not like he can really land in South America lol. Even Spain couldn't really defend his colonies that well and my forts weren't even setup then.

I kinda want to invade Europe at one point, but heh, I'll probably have moved onto the new DLC by then. Which, I plan to be Tunis. I only invaded Europe (as the american natives) once since I've played EU4 and that was as Aztecs and I never was able to get a foothold at all. Farthest I got was taking Ireland and then being slaughtered and sent back home :P But no one could conquer any of the Americas either lol, and then a DLC came out and I moved on :P

At least I accomplished my goal of the current Inca game. Colonize all of the coastal region of South America, and put forts in every other province :P Kinda a short game goal really, but I knew the DLC was coming out, so didn't want a huge long goal of conquering the world lol

The only problem with the strategy of forts all along the coast (and not really anywhere else) is if an invasion force broke through even one fort and defeat my initial forces protecting that region around the fort...they pretty much have free reign all the way to the capital :P I know an actual player would take advantage of that, but its just the AI...so...:P I do have a few forts around my capital though, but otherwise its pretty barren and open land. Not much troops to defend it either lol.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:51:39 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2651 on: April 07, 2016, 12:38:27 am »

Does this game simulate the old world plagues?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2652 on: April 07, 2016, 12:45:16 am »

There's a number of plague/'flu random events, but it doesn't include the large-scale population loss and such.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: April 07, 2016, 01:26:11 am »

In MEIOU it does. When Spanish colonize, they send out Conquistadors to nearby territories (of yours) of any that border them. One reason I kicked them out ASAP in my Inca game lol. And also plague starts spreading from province to province.

Its pretty painful actually, since it pretty makes provinces with plague completely useless (as it should be). Luckily I stopped Spanish on the coastal east side of South America, and not my good territories around my capital lol. Or my economy would be so screwed.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:30:51 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2654 on: April 22, 2016, 12:11:42 pm »

With the triple Roman done, the Knights of Rhodes having conquered the world and my brief stint as the tyrant pirate warlord of Singapore completed I am now content with merely playing as the humble Plantaganet world devouring merchants of England. Things have warmed up rather well with the Dutch of Holland and the French giving me their trade in addition to the Portuguese having very early on given me their throne (even when I asked them not to). Still, as soon as colonists kick in - INFINITE COLONISTS TO BRAAAZIILLL HUE HUE HUE

The fact that I can pre-convert Portugal to English culture beforehand is the icing on the cake, meaning when it's all done I should be able to integrate all the Empires into one massive giant spice-stealing Empire without issue.
One thing I've found is the mercenary adventurer house rule really is absolutely mandatory. Only send mercenaries to your overseas provinces, if you can't send enough mercenaries or can't afford them, your Empire must be allowed to crumble. Nobody said Empire building was cheap, and it makes little sense how thousands of men from Kent teleport to the other side of the planet (for so few ducats!)
At least with mercenaries it makes slightly more logical sense in that you're paying for the transit or you're poaching the few adventurous civvies/merchants or hiring local sepoys. And if you get bankrupt then it all disappears :D

One thing of note is that I managed to deus vult my way into freeing the Kingdom of Jerusalem from the Ayyubids (ET mod). With the collapse of the Ayyubids the Greek lands descended into a horrendous conflict for dominance between the Latin Empire, the Greeks, the Nicaeans, Rum Turks and even some Armenians. When all the fighting was done the victor emerged - surprise Abbasid Caliphate jihad that crushed the Sultanate of Rum, Persia and absorbed the Ayyubids. Seems the Abbasid faired the collapse of the Mongol Empire rather well. Interestingly the Abbassids have formed a Sudanese and Ethiopian colonial nation, whilst the actual Empire of Ethiopia has migrated south into Somalia.

As intriguing as this all is, I only fear one long term threat to my hegemony. In the far east in the barbaric tundra of Russia, from the ashes of Swedish wars and Mongolian scourge the Empire of Smolensk has arisen. It is only a matter of time before they unleash their artillery GUIDED BY GOD
Only the Russian principality of Yaroslavl and Murom stands in their way, not even the cheeki Tajikis have held them at bay.
Smolensk will never cross Poland... R-r-right? Poland is strong enough?
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 216