Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461078 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2625 on: March 29, 2016, 02:31:22 pm »

Is "Catstille" a client state? It's a funny name for one. If only you could've made it shaped like a cat, like LW's elephant.

You bet it is! I should have done that.

Ok, that's impressive.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2626 on: March 30, 2016, 02:21:10 am »

People keep saying that France is weak this patch. I have lucky nations off, France has just about annexed all of Iberia, and it's barely 1500.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: March 30, 2016, 10:54:16 am »

People keep saying that France is weak this patch. I have lucky nations off, France has just about annexed all of Iberia, and it's barely 1500.

I think it comes down to an early dice roll about whether France makes friends with Austria, or they end up rivals. I've seen it go both ways.

Things can also go weird depending on the Burgundian Inheritance and Iberian Wedding (as always).

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: March 31, 2016, 03:17:23 pm »

Last Dev Diary for Mare Nostrum out. One of the free features is that anyone can reform the Roman Empire now. Perhaps now you can be triple roman.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2629 on: March 31, 2016, 03:33:18 pm »

triple roman.
Byzantium, HRE, Rome?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: March 31, 2016, 03:44:59 pm »

Allowing pagan religions to form it is absurd, so I'm thinking I'll try Fetishist Rome as Ryukyu. Jewish Rome would be wonderful too, but I guess it's just paganism and Christianity.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: March 31, 2016, 04:25:40 pm »

Allowing pagan religions to form it is absurd
Why? They were pagans for a pretty long time. I think it should be restricted only to nations from the mediterranean (and, if you want to stretch it a bit, the black sea), though.

Still, a roman in each one of us.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2632 on: March 31, 2016, 04:59:05 pm »

Last Dev Diary for Mare Nostrum out. One of the free features is that anyone can reform the Roman Empire now. Perhaps now you can be triple roman.
I once managed to become Emperor whilst reforming the Roman Empire to be the Holy Roman Emperor of the Roman Empire of the Eastern Roman Empire

Wish I tried reforming the Eastern Roman Empire as Romania to take this one step beyond

Is that Kochin in southern India? If so, I think you have a moral obligation to save their bubblegum-pink hides from Bahmanis, if you're still playing this campaign. Also, good lord, just look at that Kedah, I hope they stayed Sunni. And there's Theodoro on the rampage again, it's really weird that that's becoming a common sight.
Oh boy, they got rekt. Couldn't stop to save them as I was in such a precarious position, where for the first time ever I nearly ragequit due to how awfully things went during the attempted transition from "we sea pirates" to "DEUS VULT". By the time I got my shit together not only had the last bubble gum Kings already been conquered between the massive Sultanates of Juanpur and Malwa, but the last of the Coptics and Ibadis had also been rendered extinct.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: March 31, 2016, 07:50:54 pm »

I harbour a degree of envy with you, LW. You can shitpost with the best of them, and then you could probably go world conquest with fucking Ryukyu whilst I can't even get the Byzantines out of their predicament without it either going all to hell or needing to resort to cheats.
I am in a similar situation. Maybe we should form a coalition against these aggressive expansionists.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: March 31, 2016, 09:57:00 pm »

Apparently the HRE, Papal States, Byzantium, Italy, Theodoro, Ottomans, Romania and Russia is still not not enough for the disgusting romanophiles. Can't you just create your own empire without having to claim legitimacy from some long-dead dubious entity?

I bet we get sprite packs of legionaries armed with muskets next.  ::)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: March 31, 2016, 10:28:24 pm »

So playing as Inca (started as the typical Cuzco) with MEIOU mod (but Ironman mode is still on), colonized almost the entire coastline of South America. Just a bit of the south of it is left uncolonized and Holland (never seen Holland colonize lol) took part of that south bit. And I can't declare war on him cause he is allies with England and England is my ally. Just waiting for when alliance breaks to move in.

My vassals: Chakas (or however its spelled) down in South America, Mayans and three Aztec (aztec hasn't formed, but you get the idea) nations (one is a tiny two province one though cause he broke away and then I pwned him). I wanted to leave the north natives alone for most part. So I'm pretty much leaving them alone the entire game, except to deal with petty wars and rebellions.

However, its a VERY tough game. Have had three wars with Spain, first one I did pretty good and would have done a lot better, but forgot to actually put a claim on his spanish Brazilian vassal. So the war ended with nothing for me lol. Since I entirely rely on ticking war score. Second war went a lot better, took all his south american territories and did really good defending against his troops (and his Sicily ally which was a pain in the ass to deal with). However, I pretty much prevented him from even thinking of colonizing South America. The only hard part of the 2nd war (and 1st which went even worse in this regard) was my fleet of ships just got slaughtered. I didn't have heavy ships at this time.

Third war, again against Spain. He had started colonizing North America, and he had a bunch of island provinces he was and had colonized. This war however went really badly, even though I accomplished what I wanted. For one, I probably should have made bigger use of my navy, but I was still building it up and didn't want to throw away ships. I was kinda nervous they'd get pwned again. I should have attacked the Sicily fleet with it though, AND had more troops along the coastal provinces. See, I had a huge army in Aztec land that I forgot about (30k or so troops) and they didn't need to be there anymore. I forgot I sent an army to deal with the rebellious vassal. I also had probably too big of an army around my capital, since they weren't doing anything.

However, Sicily landed ashore in the north part of South America. Which I also had to keep a better eye on where ships were along my coast, kinda focused on another part of the battle lol. And they went in and just slaughtered my smaller forces I had defending various places. They went all the way south, then went to attack my capital itself. Even with my troops defending, they would just get slaughtered by Sicily. Spanish never landed many troops for some reason, or he didn't do much with them. But wherever I went to defend, even with massive terrain bonuses (which I rely on a lot), it was no good. In the end, before the capital was taken, I managed to get a massive army to attack Sicily's invasion force and won (barely lol).

A whole bunch of factors went into getting pwned. For one, spain and sicily had a tech level of military higher than me, which gave them new troop types. I managed to get it after the war, but I bet that would have helped a LOT. I also didn't pay enough attention to where enemy fleets were, and I had a bunch of troops being useless in central America. And I should have made a bigger use of my fleet.

Luckily though cause I had the war goal that I put a claim on (that they never bothered to re-take, but did have a hefty force there), I managed to get all of Spain's colonies, AND all his island provinces (including two by Africa). And it was really useful (and probably helped the most) of having England be an ally. England even formed Canada lol, or his colonies did. But I don't see Spain colonizing the America's any time soon, as South America is pretty much secured along the coast from any colonization attempt. Except for Holland down south, but heh. Only place he could colonize is North America, but he doesn't have any provinces that are close to it now.

In the end, before I saved and got off. I took my two main forces and they are moving to one province along the coast, and then I'll split them up and put them in better locations so they can respond to any invasion landings better. I may end up putting castles along the coast as well, so it'll be a massive barrier (with provinces in between) of castles. I think that make it a lot easier to defend South America. But my income is shot (but I say that, and making nearly 90 gold a month lol. So many gold provinces :P), so that is a long term plan and take a while to do. I can afford that no problem lol, its just building them takes up the money. I make so much gold :P
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:30:42 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: March 31, 2016, 10:42:46 pm »

Also to end the above post off.

Spanish has a castle in every other province of his. I can see his land, and its just one big orgy of castles lol. Only provinces next to each castle are empty of them, so its a castle for every other province lol. No idea how anyone can even win that.

And spain is also pwning everyone he meets in all the wars. He pwns England (England mostly distracted him for me lol), he pwns Naples. He pwns Venice. He pwns Austria. He even pwns the Pope. Spain is doing amazing in this game lol, which makes it scary. He is SUPER aggressive.

I do have lucky nations off (cause that is dumb), so all the nations are more random in how they do. Only nation who may pose a threat to Spain is Roman Empire (MEIOU renamed them that since MEIOU starts earlier than vanilla). Since the Roman Empire is doing okay (I guess, only what I can tell in start menu)...doesn't seem to have expanded much but won against Ottomans. And his rival is Spain. But I haven't seen any sign of wars between them. In any case, Spain is kicking ass this game lol...

And poor Portugal was kicked out of Spain to live the rest of his existence on two crappy islands he colonized before Spain pwned him :P
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2637 on: March 31, 2016, 11:10:57 pm »

Here's my current Italy game
Also religion mapmode

I started as the custom nation of Golden Ambrosia around Milan, and proceeded to conquer everything in the immediate vicinity. Greece and Tripoli are my vassals. The other major powers are Ottomans (currently in a spiral of wars/disasters), France (would be stable is GB and I didn't keep nomming on it), and Poland (has PU over Austria). Sweden and Great Britain are significant but not dangerous.

Currently I'm allied with Poland, but that will probably change soon because I want to dismantle the HRE. Should be interesting to see how well their doomstacks face off against my limitless pool of mercenaries.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: April 03, 2016, 04:38:55 am »

Decided to give this game a try again, this time as a nation that's pretty guaranteed to do at least OK.  Start the game as Ottomans with some tiny coastal nation guaranteed.  Forget to turn that off, Venice and a bunch of their allies attack it with the show superiority CB and I decide to join in to keep the prestige/weaken Venice.  Despite the layout of the Ottoman empire being extremely exploitable (in a way that I'm not sure it is in RL), it was the AI and I'm the fucking Ottomans so of course they got punted into the stratosphere.  Unfortunately... the shitstain of a OPM is the only who counts as having any warscore at all despite me having ~90% participation (and I'm not even sure where the other 10% is because its just the two of us and they've accomplished nothing) and they're the war leader.  They could have white peaced forever now, something like 30,000 men have died in vain while two great powers of Europe wait for this tiny republic to give them the go ahead to stop fighting despite both sides wanting to.  The AI won't even let me white peace out and abandon the republic, and they'll keep attacking me despite every land army they send getting annihilated.  We are endlessly fighting for a OPM's amusement.

I repeat, as I do every time I play this game.  What.  The fuck.  Paradox.

Besides that tho I'm actually having fun.  Probably just going to switch to another nation to give reasonable war peace settlement and then switch back, since I'm not playing Ironman.  This incident has cost me horribly but I'm the Ottomans and everything else was going great so I'll bounce back just fine.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: April 03, 2016, 04:52:02 am »

Did you occupy any of the enemy's province?

I've noticed that the AI will sometime refuse to white peace if they think they can get a better deal by letting you fight (And why shouldn't they?). Just land an army in Venice, siege it. That should give you enough war score to get a separate peace (War score from battles and holding the objective go to the war leader, but war score from occupying provinces count for both you and the leader.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 216