Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461164 times)

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2535 on: January 12, 2016, 01:53:37 pm »

Nope. In my Ottoman game I played without Common Sense and by 1700 no development happened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2536 on: January 12, 2016, 04:11:01 pm »

To be fair the AI is so bad that it really needs some "bonuses" like this to stay slightly competitive and even then it only lasts for so long before you can overpower or outsmart it.
Just take straits, they reworked the whole mechanic because it was so easy to exploit against the AI (and bad player in MP) that it made more sense to change it. And that isn't the first time they changed stuff to make the AI not suicide all the time.
And the worst part is that the difficulty does nothing to adress that, on hard the AI just gains bonuses and swarms you with every country from Britain to Japan as soon as you show the slightest weakness and even then you can often save yourself by just being smart about it.
God I really love that game, but the more I think about it the more I realise that I hate the AI and it's stupidity.
Is it not realistic that you get swarmed at the earliest sign of weakness? Ming, Mughals, Ottomans, Portuguese, French and so on, at the slightest weakness the sharks circled overhead and if they weren't beaten away they were torn apart

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2537 on: January 12, 2016, 05:09:27 pm »

Poland: The tragic lifestory of a nation so interesting, other nations just can't bear themselves to leave it

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2538 on: January 12, 2016, 06:24:28 pm »

I started a Lithuania game a while back, and it's getting rather hard. I ate Poland, Crimea, and took a few provinces from the Teutonic and Livonian Orders. But now I'm barely staving off getting partitioned by Muscovy, Hungary, and Ottomans.
To make matters worse my vassal Theodoro stopped loving me and declared independence (and won because I had no manpower after losing a civil war). My ally Sweden are losing wars to friggin' Norway, and my other ally Bohemia (emperor) keeps defending against Burgundy attacking other princes and getting their arse whipped.
Now I don't know what to do.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2539 on: January 12, 2016, 07:43:00 pm »

Buddy up to the Austrians, wait for the Austrians to annex the Hungarians / war the Ottomans, push east for polansraum?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2540 on: January 13, 2016, 11:31:09 am »

Poland: The tragic lifestory of a nation so interesting, other nations just can't bear themselves to leave it
We can't bear ourselves to leave it too which is why we're clearly superior than all other nations in the world.
* Kot flaps his hussar wings angrily.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: January 13, 2016, 12:42:58 pm »

We can't bear ourselves to leave it too which is why we're clearly superior than all other nations in the world.
* Kot flaps his hussar wings angrily.

can confirm Polish are madly stubborn

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: January 13, 2016, 02:36:29 pm »

I imagine they'd have to be, living between Russians and Germans.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: January 15, 2016, 10:11:14 am »

This what happens when France can't back up their guarantee on Scotland:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: January 15, 2016, 03:33:08 pm »

France seems to explode a lot. I think they've developed a Ming complex where they're too big and rich to think of allying anyone, which together with being hated by all the other powers means they flounder quickly. Paradox will probably respond by raising starting development even higher.

I've been doing more building modding stuff lately, and was wondering... how do you guys feel about the number of buildings per province restrictions after 1.12? Even with increasing development as a viable option (like with money instead of MP), it's still striking me as really artificial. But remembering the old system of spamming buildings everwhere also wasn't too great, so I'm not sure.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: January 15, 2016, 03:39:32 pm »

I like it.

Especially with the new fort system--you don't need to spam them everywhere any more, so that's one free slot. Besides, past a certain point you can build basically everything you want anyways.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: January 15, 2016, 04:05:21 pm »

France does implode a lot.  They tend to get into fights with Aragon over Navarre a lot, and then some combination of England and Burgundy attacks them while they are weak.  Also they tend to be the target of coalitions a lot in the early game.

Seeing Tyrone eat Scotland and a few of those Norwegian islands is a bit silly though.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: January 15, 2016, 06:26:55 pm »

I've been running observer games up to 1600-1700 with development and tradegood changes, and funnily enough, France seems to be doing better with reduced development and income. They seem less aggressive, so they don't get dogpiled after starting that first war against England, Aragon, or Burgundy. Granted, with the changes pretty much everybody else in Europe has less development too, but it consistently got to normal French size, even without the Burgundian Inheritance firing (in one it got a PU over Spain and integrated them, that was horrible).

I sort of like France failing a lot, though, so long as it isn't Brittany that does them in. It irks me to see them take those two provinces from Provence every single game.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2548 on: January 16, 2016, 08:47:53 pm »

I have discovered the hidden joy of Smolensk

ARTILLERY GUIDED BY GOD

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: January 16, 2016, 09:07:40 pm »

They even have artillery on their flag.  Along with a chicken.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 216