Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461180 times)

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2460 on: December 29, 2015, 05:00:48 am »

You know, I'm very tempted to make a mod myself, where the gameworld is the British Isles - but super, super huge, with all of the counties and microcounties within. It would be a fine mod, where you see so many factions; lordlings and counts, fighting over the British Isles.
The Winter King mod for CK2 plays on an enlarged map of the British Isles, though it's set during the Christianization of Britain (so even earlier than CK2) and is based on "The Warlord Chronicles" saga rather than being purely historical.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: December 29, 2015, 10:56:20 am »

I haven't played EU4 for like 8 months, but oooooooh man, the AI is still FUBAR. Playing as Hungary [allied to Bohemia & Castile] I started a war vs Poland who was allied to Austria. The polish AI is sending its troops to Castile.  It looks like that the EU4 AI is still worse than the CK2 AI, and the CK2 AI is mediocre at best.
PD should spend more time on AI development tbh.  ::)
I don't care that much since I prefer MP in all games, but I am a bit worried now because of their upcoming game - Stellaris. 100.1% that the vanilla AI will suck major balls, and I am not sure that it will be a "popular" game for MP.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:04:08 am by gimli »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: December 29, 2015, 02:27:36 pm »

One way I've considered doing it is using a building (or three, one for each dev type) that triggers an event to destroy itself and increase the province's development. That'd also be a nice way of preventing development increase from being instant. There'd be some problems with build cost and new pseudo-modifier creation with flags or something, but I think it'd work out.

It is done.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/o6dvj281arck6ns/Ducat_Development.zip

For a base cost of 100 ducats, improve the development in any province with a building slot available. The building will give the normal bonus from one development in its category until a recurring event destroys it and increases development in the province permanently. All dev cost modifiers have been replaced with build cost modifiers (except that dev efficiency one in tech, but who cares), and the AI should behave itself. It's inconvenient to increase development multiple times in the same province rapidly, but aside from that it seems just as good as the vanilla system.

Unfortunately disabling MP development entirely seems to no longer be possible, with cost capped at 999. So I bet some particularly disgusting OPMs will still do it the vanilla way, which would be hilarious.

I haven't played it out yet, since I'm working on loads of other mods I want to get released, so if you use this, please let me know how the world ends up and how the performance is (as well as suggestions/balance changes). Provinces won't show how many times development has been improved normally, but you can see what the AI's done by checking province history.

Also worth noting that this should let you increase development without owning common sense, though I haven't tested it yet. In the final release I'll probably add a lip service check to owning the DLC, but anyone could just remove that one line, so I don't really care.

Edit:
Left the game running until 1500, and saw France and Ming go absolutely nuts. And then I saw Mutapa with a 2/16/3 gold province. Otherwise I'm liking it, but there's another mod I'm working on that makes Europe start a lot less rich, which I think will be important. I made some other changes, but here's a better common\buildings\UG_dev_buildings.txt

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:27:46 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: December 29, 2015, 03:00:08 pm »

One way I've considered doing it is using a building (or three, one for each dev type) that triggers an event to destroy itself and increase the province's development. That'd also be a nice way of preventing development increase from being instant. There'd be some problems with build cost and new pseudo-modifier creation with flags or something, but I think it'd work out.

It is done.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/o6dvj281arck6ns/Ducat_Development.zip

For a base cost of 100 ducats, improve the development in any province with a building slot available. The building will give the normal bonus from one development in its category until a recurring event destroys it and increases development in the province permanently. All dev cost modifiers have been replaced with build cost modifiers (except that dev efficiency one in tech, but who cares), and the AI should behave itself. It's inconvenient to increase development multiple times in the same province rapidly, but aside from that it seems just as good as the vanilla system.

Unfortunately disabling MP development entirely seems to no longer be possible, with cost capped at 999. So I bet some particularly disgusting OPMs will still do it the vanilla way, which would be hilarious.

I haven't played it out yet, since I'm working on loads of other mods I want to get released, so if you use this, please let me know how the world ends up and how the performance is (as well as suggestions/balance changes). Provinces won't show how many times development has been improved normally, but you can see what the AI's done by checking province history.

Also worth noting that this should let you increase development without owning common sense, though I haven't tested it yet. In the final release I'll probably add a lip service check to owning the DLC, but anyone could just remove that one line, so I don't really care.

This sounds interesting. I'll post my thoughts, seems perfect for a new game since I'm about to start a new nation at some point in next couple/few days. I'm sure others may post their findings on what AI does and what not with it if they decide to use it, but seems like its worth trying out.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: December 29, 2015, 08:14:31 pm »

Sometimes I just dont understand battle results in this game.

I'm playing Ethiopia. Game starts, I crush Adal pretty easily, their armies melt to mine. I take some provinces and get a separatist revolt - oh well, not a huge deal. The separatists spawn in just the wrong province and in too big of numbers, so I decide to park my army next to them while I recruit some extra units to deal with it. I get distracted for a moment and the rebels jump into my army - woops. With 13k of my troops vs 17k rebels, I'm not expecting wonders, but I figure I'll just pull them away as soon as I can retreat and join them up with my recruited emergency rebel-eating army.

...and my army is immediately stackwiped with no warning. Battle starts, three or four days pass, and I instantly go from a little under 13k troops to 0 in a single combat phase. What gives?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:16:43 pm by Rex_Nex »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: December 29, 2015, 08:42:01 pm »

Army maintenance resulting in low morale seems likely. If you were at low maintenance before the revolt, and only raised it after they rose up, that could do it. Keep in mind they have your tech, a perfect flank and then some, and a shock advantage (unless that was negated by terrain or a river).

At least you got half your manpower back. It's possible if the battle dragged on you would've lost the same number of men.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: December 29, 2015, 08:59:57 pm »

Did you recently upgrade your units?  That sets morale to zero temporarily.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: December 29, 2015, 11:49:03 pm »

Twas 100% maint (reloaded and made sure), hadn't yet hit the tech level to upgrade my units, given the game just started as Ethiopia.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: December 30, 2015, 05:02:45 am »

So this is an interesting playthrough. ISIS in 2015, Extended Timeline Mod + Custom Nation.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2469 on: December 30, 2015, 05:28:18 am »

ISOL
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: December 30, 2015, 05:56:00 am »

what the hell did lybia do
._.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: December 30, 2015, 08:02:38 am »

what the hell did lybia do

Slipped a spinal disc.

Latest update is that I have the whole Syria/Israel/Jordan area and Egypt now; though India has eaten half-way through Iran on a course for me D:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:05:28 am by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: December 30, 2015, 12:10:37 pm »

Ahh I just can't stand it! Why does my armies' morale immediately drop by 50% as soon as they get engaged in a battle? This results in my loosing battles even though my forces are 2 or 3 times greater than the enemy's (the technology being equal).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:12:20 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: December 30, 2015, 12:12:48 pm »

Your morale isn't dropping, the enemy just has much higher morale than you. In the battle screen, the morale bar shows the ratio of your morale to the maximum morale of any participant, not to your maximum morale. Odds are they have more military ideas than you.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: December 30, 2015, 12:20:17 pm »

One of the early Defensive ideas gives a big boost to morale.  That's probably it.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 216