Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461181 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2445 on: December 28, 2015, 04:31:07 pm »

Art of War make fighting wars with other nations a lot easier to manage.

Star and Crescent gives a lot of neat Muslim events if you don't have it already.

El Dorado is useful if you want to make your own nation or have fun with the Aztecs or Incans.

Conquest of Paradise gives the option of randomizing the New World which is fun, if a bit gimmicky.

Wealth of Nations and Res Publica do a whole bunch of different stuff I'm not completely sure about.

I must be an odd one out, because I find EUIV better with Common Sense turned off than with it on. I save a lot more MP that way.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 04:33:18 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: December 28, 2015, 04:45:17 pm »

I must be an odd one out, because I find EUIV better with Common Sense turned off than with it on.
Judging by vitriolic Steam reviews, the odd one out is Bouchart for recommending it. And by reading the reviews I've just learned that, if I understand it correctly, the game without CS still uses mechanics CS introduces (i.e. provincial development), but only AI is allowed to do so. What the heck?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: December 28, 2015, 05:07:27 pm »

I must be an odd one out, because I find EUIV better with Common Sense turned off than with it on.
Judging by vitriolic Steam reviews, the odd one out is Bouchart for recommending it. And by reading the reviews I've just learned that, if I understand it correctly, the game without CS still uses mechanics CS introduces (i.e. provincial development), but only AI is allowed to do so. What the heck?

I don't own CS, but all the provinces have development stats, which I have no buttons to increase.  I haven't played long enough nor payed enough attention to see if the AI is able to increase development without CS installed.

On the other hand, I've heard investing in development is very rarely worth the point costs, if you have other things to spend on.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: December 28, 2015, 05:10:59 pm »

Common Sense has a lot of good things, like new mechanics for theocracies, but development is still a work in progress.

Before CS came out, provinces were rated by base tax. Now base tax is wrapped up in development. Improving development in a province is a DLC mechanic only, and as far as I'm aware, AI can't do that without the DLC.

The two major complaints I see about development is that improving it costs monarch points, which are already scarce, so its barely used by a player, and that the AI spends so much on development when they're a OPM, that it makes these ridiculous top value provinces, that when conquered are really expensive to core.

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2449 on: December 28, 2015, 05:23:33 pm »

I'm half-tempted to make a mod to make development tied to wealth instead of MP, but that requires me learning how to mod.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: December 28, 2015, 05:34:12 pm »

Development is my favourite part of EU4.

I'm now, finally, quite happy to sit in the British Isles rather than rampaging all over Europe. LONDON WILL BE GREAT.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: December 28, 2015, 05:35:17 pm »

I'm half-tempted to make a mod to make development tied to wealth instead of MP, but that requires me learning how to mod.

You know, I'm very tempted to make a mod myself, where the gameworld is the British Isles - but super, super huge, with all of the counties and microcounties within. It would be a fine mod, where you see so many factions; lordlings and counts, fighting over the British Isles.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: December 28, 2015, 05:43:40 pm »

You know, I'm very tempted to make a mod myself, where the gameworld is the British Isles - but super, super huge, with all of the counties and microcounties within. It would be a fine mod, where you see so many factions; lordlings and counts, fighting over the British Isles.
Wouldn't that be better suited to CK2?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: December 28, 2015, 06:38:52 pm »

Before CS came out, provinces were rated by base tax. Now base tax is wrapped up in development. Improving development in a province is a DLC mechanic only, and as far as I'm aware, AI can't do that without the DLC.

So if I get an event that raises the base tax in say, Barcelona, what actually happens under the development system?

Right now provinces use development instead of base tax, but events still talk about base tax in their effects
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: December 28, 2015, 06:46:36 pm »

One way I've considered doing it is using a building (or three, one for each dev type) that triggers an event to destroy itself and increase the province's development. That'd also be a nice way of preventing development increase from being instant. There'd be some problems with build cost and new pseudo-modifier creation with flags or something, but I think it'd work out.

So if I get an event that raises the base tax in say, Barcelona, what actually happens under the development system?

Right now provinces use development instead of base tax, but events still talk about base tax in their effects

It's not very different from the old base tax/manpower system. Whereas before provinces had base tax and manpower, they've now got a production value as well, and most of the effects base tax used to have were moved to total development (the 3 categories added together).

Many of the old events that raised base tax now give you a choice of either of the 3 components, or still work exactly as they used to (but base tax is less important now, being only one value).

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: December 28, 2015, 06:56:30 pm »

There are three types of development. Base tax is one of the three and affects tax income. The other two are Base Production and Base Manpower, and then all these add up to a total Development value, which affects stuff like trade power and coring cost. So Barcelona has a base tax of 6, a base production of 6, and a base manpower of 3, with a total development value of 15. So your event that increases base tax would increase Barcelona's base tac to 7, and the total development value to 16.

As Urban Giraffe said, most development events give you the option to choose between which type you improve in a province. And if you have the Common Sense DLC, you can manually do that with MP.

Relevant Wiki Article
Sigtext

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: December 28, 2015, 06:58:53 pm »

Wouldn't that be better suited to CK2?
Hell, that's pretty much exactly what the ASOIAF mod for CK2 is, if you squint hard enough to mistake Westeros for the British Isles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: December 28, 2015, 07:12:09 pm »

A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: December 28, 2015, 07:14:27 pm »

A Song of Ice of Fire. Also known as the book series that caused the Game of Thrones TV Show.
Sigtext

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: December 28, 2015, 07:30:08 pm »

A Song of Ice of Fire. Also known as the book series that caused the Game of Thrones TV Show.

Oh. I know what it is, just never heard the acronym and therefore what it meant  :o
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 216