Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461844 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1035 on: January 04, 2014, 07:13:07 pm »

For some reason, my trade in seville is switching back and forth between the green arrow (forwarding) and the yellow plus sign (taking income directly). Why? What causes this to change? I thought it might be the trade range but after increasing it it seems to happen more.

Longstanding bug. Just check your trade node flow directions from time to time, they'll be messed up when you declare war/sign peace/do other actions. Randomly, mind you. So just keep up to date with your trade directing. Key to winning EU4 is pumping out trade ships anyways so you'll likely be doing it a lot.

How do you change the direction? Do you have to just abandon the trade there and go somewhere else?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: January 04, 2014, 09:48:24 pm »

There's arrows to direct trade flow on nodes in the Trade Map.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: January 05, 2014, 06:51:48 pm »

I have played EU3 dozens of times and am addicted to it, and I was glad I got EU4. Just prepare to have more resistance to accomplishing things. I feel it's horrendously harder to expand in this game.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1038 on: January 05, 2014, 07:46:04 pm »

Haven't played M&T, but I do really like the changes from EU3 to EU4, other than having a world conquer be practically impossible. It's actually rather funny that the only WC I'm aware of is the Ryukyu one, the hardest possible WC according to a lot of people. Still, though, that was done by massively exploiting the game and identifying every edge case that the devs overlooked. It wasn't cheating, it was just not playing how the game was really meant to be played.

If you enjoyed EU3, you'll likely enjoy EU4. If you enjoyed playing the smaller countries, building up powerful trading empires, cutting out your little corner of the world, you'll like EU4. If you liked going on a grand crusade to bring the entire world to kneel before you, you'll probably be upset, but you'll still probably like EU4. There'll always be mods to fix that, too, though.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: January 05, 2014, 09:39:47 pm »

Personally I can't say I dislike EU4 outright, but I'm still waiting for the devs to make overextension logically based on something relevant to your entire country rather than province base tax. Until then I just can't enjoy a long game.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: January 05, 2014, 10:51:08 pm »

I enjoy EU4 a lot and find it better than EU3 but to me there are still three big problems with the game.

No AI Naval Attrition.
AI can just drop doomstacks where ever they want which makes stuff like conquering natives and the colonial independence movements extremely trivial.

Coalitions.
AIs joins these too much and make conquest in the last hundred or so years of the game incredibly dull. They should be defensive agreements triggering only when you've attacked a coalition member rather than half of Europe jumping onto the side of the Ottoman jihad of Cyprus.

Overseas Province System.
The way the game determines what is overseas seem broken to me. North Africa is apparently overseas for Portugal making any investments in that area pretty much null. Some kind of distance system based of capital or something would be much better.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: January 06, 2014, 12:24:08 am »

No AI Naval Attrition.
AI can just drop doomstacks where ever they want which makes stuff like conquering natives and the colonial independence movements extremely trivial.

Note that this was also in EU3

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: January 06, 2014, 08:31:33 am »

The overseas province has always been that way. It's divided by continent. I'm not exactly sure where the asia/europe divide is though.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: January 06, 2014, 08:33:25 am »

It has to be across a sea AND in another continent though, so the Asia/Europe divide doesn't really matter.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: January 06, 2014, 10:13:07 am »

North Africa is on another continent though, which does make some weirdness if you go a-conquering in that area. It's not too hard to just mod that whole area Europe though, if it really bothers you.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: January 06, 2014, 05:25:39 pm »

It'd be so much easier if they just changed it "2 or more sea provinces away, and on another continent"

Because a lot of the more ridiculous parts of that are like, Cyprus, or Sicily, to Asia and North Africa respectively. They're both 1 sea province away, aren't they?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: January 06, 2014, 08:37:29 pm »

They change how much each basetax contributes to Overextension, but I am not sure if the actually changed the effects. I never paid attention to the exact difference when playing, but supposedly each base tax contributes far less than in vanilla.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: January 06, 2014, 11:05:00 pm »

The new DLCs have been up for preorder for a while. They include the Conquest of Paradise expansion, Songs of the New World, New World unit pack and finally a conquistador unit pack.
CoP is 14.99 USD which I find personally a bit much. Pre Ordering will get you 10% off ($13.49).

There is currently a coupon I know of for Greenman Gaming, it stacks with the current discount.

25% off ($10.12)
GMG25-0YUM5-VKMVU

GMG also has a referral system which I've never used. Apparently if you send someone a referral link you both get 2 dollars if they sign up and spend 2 dollars. Not overly impressive but I suppose it is a "free" cosmetic pack. If you're not already on GMG and don't have a friend who is and you're really dying to get that store credit for some reason,  I can supply a referral link if you PM me.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: January 06, 2014, 11:33:36 pm »

I've never played beyond my 1000 year CK2 -> EU4 mega Holy Roman Empire game, and so although I've clocked 60 hours at least in this game, I haven't experienced any nation other than a unified France/Germany that could steamroll anyone. And a little 50 year game with japan, but I'm wondering does the game change significantly playing one nation versus another? Is it going to be worth it to sink a ton of time into another game of EU4 just to experience a different nation?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: January 07, 2014, 06:40:52 am »

I've never played beyond my 1000 year CK2 -> EU4 mega Holy Roman Empire game, and so although I've clocked 60 hours at least in this game, I haven't experienced any nation other than a unified France/Germany that could steamroll anyone. And a little 50 year game with japan, but I'm wondering does the game change significantly playing one nation versus another? Is it going to be worth it to sink a ton of time into another game of EU4 just to experience a different nation?
Definitely, this holds true for any paradox game.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 216