Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461855 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1005 on: December 21, 2013, 12:51:52 am »

Is it possible to go to war with a country that you are currently fight another country with? For instance, If you were called into war by X, and X also called Y into the same war, would you be able to declare war on Y?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 21, 2013, 12:54:23 am »

Nope. Can't declare wars on countries you are allied with in a war.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 21, 2013, 03:05:50 am »

Well guess who broke that rule and went to war with each other during our war with Great Britain? Spain and France. My only allies.

Seriously, the amount this game cheats is so horrible that I am considering asking for a refund. It constantly breaks the rules and gives my enemies absurd bonuses in some sad attempt to prevent you from doing anything outside of a white peace.

Please tell me someone is working on a mod to fix this mess?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 21, 2013, 02:53:36 pm »

I have seriously never seen the AI covertly cheat as much as some people imply.

Micro, have you even considered the possibility that it might be a bug? I have seen things like phantom wars where countries were allied in a war against someone even though nobody was actually at war, preventing a PU from being broken. The game is far from picture perfect.

And out of curiosity, what kind of war is it? Might it be a succession war?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 21, 2013, 03:25:44 pm »

If one of them is in a coalition (or both, on opposite coalitions) it may be possible. I don't think nations get a choice to refuse when a coalition goes to war, they all get called into it automatically.

I found it weird that buildings cost monarch points. The line of thinking is probably that it requires a leader's drive to push for improvements in infrastructure, but then you consider that investing in infrastructure would make you advance technology slower, which makes no sense whatsoever. Thankfully this is EU, so all that is changeable in the defines file.

I've also been playing with Meiou and Taxes (haven't played vanilla at all even), and found that it's in a rather poor shape currently, which is unfortunate. I was able to fix some of the problems easily myself, or at least bandaid it, but I think I'll revisit EUIV when M&T's port gets better.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 21, 2013, 04:05:14 pm »

Micro, have you even considered the possibility that it might be a bug? I have seen things like phantom wars where countries were allied in a war against someone even though nobody was actually at war, preventing a PU from being broken. The game is far from picture perfect.

I don't know what type of war it was, as I rage white peaced and forgot about it. I could consider it a bug if it happened once or twice. But it happens constantly and only to my disadvantage.

If you have never seen the AI cheat, then let me ask you this. Have your enemies ever made an alliance while you are at war? That's suppose to be a -1000 modifier, yet I've had it happen 3 times in a century or 2.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 21, 2013, 05:32:31 pm »

So anybody else having issues with trying to load and save games ?
If i press the save game button game crashes.
If i try to load the game in any situation,game crashes.
I can't even click the goddamn savegames tab at selection screen

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 21, 2013, 07:12:38 pm »

Indeed I have, infuriating things like being Prussia, warring with Poland and them somehow managing to ally with both Austria and England after the declaration.
Still, better off complaining on the Paradox forums than here about such things.

I don't know what type of war it was, as I rage white peaced and forgot about it. I could consider it a bug if it happened once or twice. But it happens constantly and only to my disadvantage.

If you have never seen the AI cheat, then let me ask you this. Have your enemies ever made an alliance while you are at war? That's suppose to be a -1000 modifier, yet I've had it happen 3 times in a century or 2.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: December 22, 2013, 12:57:52 am »

I might have, but if it did happen to me it likely had no effect as I don't actually remember any case of it happening and resulting in anything notable happening.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 22, 2013, 04:28:48 am »

Have your enemies ever made an alliance while you are at war? That's suppose to be a -1000 modifier, yet I've had it happen 3 times in a century or 2.

Nope!

Practically all of my enemies are already allies, no need for them to be doing that during a war.

Portugal... Castille... Ottomans... Austria...

...please send help...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:31:34 am by Lightning4 »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: December 25, 2013, 09:30:10 pm »

Actually it's only -100 (since 1.3 I think), still quite hard to pull off, but not actually impossible.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: December 26, 2013, 09:00:07 am »

Actually it's only -100 (since 1.3 I think), still quite hard to pull off, but not actually impossible.

I saw the modifier myself. At the very least mine was -1000. AI still ignores the basic rule you have to follow. I would love to delve into other countries on my save game to confirm the cheating, but it wouldn't earn me much other then bragging rights.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: December 26, 2013, 12:39:09 pm »

The modifer is variable. I'm not sure on what it depends, can be weird, but it means sometimes you can ally a major power despite being at war with an OPM.

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: December 26, 2013, 12:41:29 pm »

I saw the modifier myself. At the very least mine was -1000. AI still ignores the basic rule you have to follow. I would love to delve into other countries on my save game to confirm the cheating, but it wouldn't earn me much other then bragging rights.

That is because you don't actually know how it works for yourself...

Anyone can make allies during a war; the negative modifier goes up over time capping at -1000.  The same for calling allies in during a war that has been going on for a while.  There are also several events that can bypass it.

The AI isn't cheating, its just you don't understand what its doing in this case.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: December 26, 2013, 01:19:32 pm »

For one, I checked the modifier right after they allied with someone, and mine was -1000, so the whole "it increases over time doesn't fit.

And you are going to have to do something other then go "you are wrong, it happens because of things I'm not going into detail on, but I will list a bunch of general apologetics that you cannot prove wrong completely"

If you know how an AI can ally with multiple others during a war that has lasted longer then normal and no obvious reason that there was an alliance (PUs, vassalization, etc.) then state how, and why the player cannot do the same thing. Maybe they get a bonus from being a lucky nation, and all the alliances I saw were with lucky nations? Or perhaps there is a special event for say, England and Hungary that can ally them?
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 216