Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 462039 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #600 on: August 25, 2013, 06:48:19 pm »

Nah, you lose relations with other vassals for diploannexing one, but you can start working on two at the same time and complete them around the same time.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 25, 2013, 06:49:12 pm »

or if there are new qualifiers for "world = conquered"
It's "you're the only country that exists"
Thus, if you can stop colonies from happening, you can speed things up.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 25, 2013, 06:53:35 pm »

I played almost a hundred years and still no colonies. Spain, France, and Portugal all took the Exploration idea group but only unlocked the first idea, so nobody can explore yet :/

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 25, 2013, 07:18:46 pm »

Also, the reason why the AI doesn't lift a finger to stop you is because you need 190 relations to annex a vassal.

I'm not talking the target of the diploannex. I mean, for example, RussiaMuscovy/AustriaBohemia/Ottomans/Denmark having nothing to say about Poland Diploannexing Lithuania, which would create a superpower on their doorstep. My thought is something like a "Stop Vassal Annexation" CB with relatively high cost [50%?] to stop and annul diploannexing for the target  for 10 or so years. I'd think the Paradox devs would implement a way for AI to counter someone superblobbing in such an incredibly easy way, but there's no way. Is it possible to add new CBs? Everyone always seems to have their nose in my business except for in cases of diploannex. Just feels like a free pass if you're not already being coalitioned against heavily, like my Hansa game, which is an annoyance no matter what cheese you're spraying all over the mechanics.

I played almost a hundred years and still no colonies. Spain, France, and Portugal all took the Exploration idea group but only unlocked the first idea, so nobody can explore yet :/

Lucky nations off? Spain always ends up being the big dawg in the new world in every game, no matter what, if LN is on or random. In fact, on random, Spain and Ottomans always still seem to get lucky nation, unless I'm just crazy.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 25, 2013, 07:26:28 pm »

Fairly sure that if you have LN on, there are predefined ones for the start of each bookmark (scenario or how you want to call it). Ottomans always get lucky nations at the one that starts before Byzantium falls, this way Paradox makes sure ol'Manuel's fucked and doesn't take over Albania or something.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 25, 2013, 11:10:11 pm »

I believe even Random LNs are still more likely to go to the big, historically important guys. That's how it was in EU3. Kinda misses the whole point of 'random' there.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 25, 2013, 11:20:57 pm »

I believe even Random LNs are still more likely to go to the big, historically important guys. That's how it was in EU3. Kinda misses the whole point of 'random' there.

There lots of different randoms. And most randoms you encounter are a form of weighted random.

The lucky nation modifier, is an attempt to make historic maps.

The random LN, do prefer larger nations, as those are the nations that can actually make use of the modifier. A single provence country isn't going to be dick with an additional 25 percent bonus. It'd be a stupid waste.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 26, 2013, 12:11:36 am »

Which isn't exactly a valid point when it came to EU3 in which random lucky nations tagged Byzantium something like 80% of the time with its 2 or 3 province size.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 26, 2013, 07:00:55 am »

Coring is the only thing besides stability that I use admin points for. And I only bother to go to +1 stability for the most part, anything more is for when I'm too far ahead to upgrade due to my pool. Administrative idea groups are neigh-useless and I make sure to fabricate claims on provinces I'm taking before I go to war, so the costs were always >50 [sometimes even down to 10's]. I made it so even with claims it costs me about 100 and I can still core-conquest on a whim much of the time.
Economic, Innovative and Religious Idea groups are great, in that they give you lots of positive events in addition to their bonus, including some +stab. Admin ideas generally have better events than the diplo or military ideas, and they can save you a lot of monarch points (especially innovative). IMO, they are the best ideas (except maybe the diplo idea group), because they will always be useful.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 26, 2013, 07:09:28 am »

As Mamluks, trying to unite Islam, I think my ideas are going to be (already have the first three):
-Diplomatic, mandatory for the diplomat and less coring cost
-Defensive, great early ideas
-Aristocratic, finishing this before defensive for the -10% military tech cost
-Economic, I really need less inflation and more adivsor choices
-Quality, moar military
-Naval, naval forcelimits aren't great
-Religious, need to convert everything in my realm to enact the Unite Islam decision
-Expansion, extra diplomatic relations and some colonists to get all those piss poor empty provinces I border

Thoughts? Expansion isn't the but it seems the best one there is left at that point.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 26, 2013, 07:45:26 am »

My latest Aztec game seems to be becoming France/Aztec slash-fiction.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am 100% certain that giving France constant casus-belli(going to help allies doesn't seem to trigger coalitations) against Spain won't bite me in the ass in the future. The BBB is a peaceful creature and would never go for world domination, no sir.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 26, 2013, 08:02:44 am »

Thoughts? Expansion isn't the but it seems the best one there is left at that point.
Seems like a perfect choice of ideas. I would definitely prefer defensive over offensive as the Ottomans. You already start off with a nice big nation and in the future when you start to fall behind in tech you can grind the western forces down before attacking back. That added siege and less attrition will also help

Expansion is a decent last choice just due to the bonuses it offers apart from colonising. Likely you won't be doing any colonising at all since the Europeans would have gobbled up everything decent already. Do note that you cannot get the free casus belli on asians unless you westernise.

Whether to westernise or not will likely be a difficult choice. It's a rather painful experience and the reward doesn't scale up as well as Eastern/Ottoman tech. You will be able to fully benefit out of expansion though and if that allows you to crack India before the europeans you're going to be in a very good spot.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 26, 2013, 09:31:45 am »

Economic, Innovative and Religious Idea groups are great, in that they give you lots of positive events in addition to their bonus, including some +stab. Admin ideas generally have better events than the diplo or military ideas, and they can save you a lot of monarch points (especially innovative). IMO, they are the best ideas (except maybe the diplo idea group), because they will always be useful.
I only care about Innovative. Others are too specialized in use and not viable for long term game, especially religious. Interest decreases and the like are only helpful if you're flooded in debt which is generally a slippery hole to get out of even with related buffs. Expansion+Trade+Navy for the +50% limit modifier [one of the things limiting Light ship snowballing] will net you highest income and unstoppable navies in 3 idea groups. Consistently.

I pick Expansion because I don't like to leave it to Spain and Portugal to control the whole new world every game. Seriously, if you're on a coast, your first idea should be navy or trade. I pick trade if I'm light in power but heavy on ships, navy if I'm heavy on power but light on ships [to steer trade]. You will win before you need to win. With a country like Amsterdam/Oman this becomes incredibly unfair, as they get merchant/steering/etc bonuses while you tech up. I hardly screw with idea groups other than diplomatic and the military ones.

Diplomatic ones are especially useful to rush for those unlock bonuses [if they're worth a damn] since I literally never run low on diplomatic points.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:41:24 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

pedrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 26, 2013, 09:55:07 am »

Seems like a perfect choice of ideas. I would definitely prefer defensive over offensive as the Ottomans. You already start off with a nice big nation and in the future when you start to fall behind in tech you can grind the western forces down before attacking back. That added siege and less attrition will also help

Defensive is the way to go for Ottos, though I never fell behind in tech playing them. They have good leaders to start with, then they have enough cash to afford good advisors, and also the piety tech modifier leaves you almost at parity with european nations.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 26, 2013, 01:12:51 pm »

Which isn't exactly a valid point when it came to EU3 in which random lucky nations tagged Byzantium something like 80% of the time with its 2 or 3 province size.

Byzantium without the bonus could come ahead of the Ottoman Empire by itself. Its a nation that can do something with the bonus. So, its probably weighted to get selected.

I also wouldnt surprise me if random LN werent also based on where the player was playing.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 216