Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461150 times)

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #165 on: July 31, 2013, 10:46:00 pm »

Is that really so gamey though? It makes by far the most sense for that popular genius leader to be re-elected, and I have my doubts about whether the AI will be able to deal with it well.

It's reasonable from a Monarch Point Standpoint. They don't want Republics becoming the standard strategy in Multiplayer simply because they can keep re-rolling rulers until they end up with a near perfect one, than preserving him until he dies.

And realistically speaking, it's hard to call it a republic when they have maintained the same leadership for 30 years, which was a common occurrence in EU3, aka the Noble Republic Strategy.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2013, 10:52:14 pm »

It gets complicated because historically there's been all kind of republics with all differing views on "terms". Some republic leaders ruled for life while others ruled for a set amount of years before being completely barred or having to be re-elected.
I think it's fair to assume that if a republic which already had the notion of terms chooses to re-elect the same person (even based on merit) it undermines it's own traditions and moves away from that republic system and more towards a cult-of-personality/despotism. The main point of a term/term limit is to stop particular influential individuals from gaining a stranglehold on the government/population and reshaping that government into something initially different either directly or indirectly.

I would still argue that it's gamey mostly due to early republics being nowhere near a perfect meritocracy or democracy with decent leaders being shunted out all the time due to internal politics. From what I've read about Maritime Republics it seems to have been almost never based around merit and rather who seemed like the most malleable and offered the better promises.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2013, 11:08:56 pm »

I dun like like EU4 forces the technological retardation of some of the groups.

Like the Native Americans starting at 1 and having 2.6 cost (I think). Seems very shallow way to limit their tech growth.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2013, 11:21:51 pm »

It gets complicated because historically there's been all kind of republics with all differing views on "terms". Some republic leaders ruled for life while others ruled for a set amount of years before being completely barred or having to be re-elected.
I think it's fair to assume that if a republic which already had the notion of terms chooses to re-elect the same person (even based on merit) it undermines it's own traditions and moves away from that republic system and more towards a cult-of-personality/despotism.
But this mechanic mandates that every republic must have a tradition of term limits or it stops being a republic permanently. I really don't agree with that at all.

Like the Native Americans starting at 1 and having 2.6 cost (I think). Seems very shallow way to limit their tech growth.
It's going to be apparently easier for natives to westernize once they have a border with europeans, though, I think.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2013, 11:33:09 pm »

It doesn't actually appear the New World natives can tech up at all. According to Quill's video the tech up costs a huge 2080 monarch points while the max number of monarch points is 999. On top of that they also suffer a -2 monarch point malus across the board.
This is all extremely silly and I can only hope they rectify this mistake in some fast patches prior to release.

But this mechanic mandates that every republic must have a tradition of term limits or it stops being a republic permanently. I really don't agree with that at all.
What would you suggest replace it? The only advantage to a republic is the term system since they lose out on so many diplomatic options and without some kind of mechanic to punish players when gaming the elections we'll end up in the same boat where republics were stupidly overpowered and would infact be even worse due to the new importance of monarch skills.
If that doesn't take your fancy I know for a fact that Elective Monarchy won't have Republican Tradition even though it's technically classed as a republic in EU3.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2013, 11:40:21 pm »

It doesn't actually appear the New World natives can tech up at all. According to Quill's video the tech up costs a huge 2080 monarch points while the max number of monarch points is 999. On top of that they also suffer a -2 monarch point malus across the board.
This is all extremely silly and I can only hope they rectify this mistake in some fast patches prior to release.

What would you suggest replace it? The only advantage to a republic is the term system since they lose out on so many diplomatic options and without some kind of mechanic to punish players when gaming the elections we'll end up in the same boat where republics were stupidly overpowered and would infact be even worse due to the new importance of monarch skills.
If that doesn't take your fancy I know for a fact that Elective Monarchy won't have Republican Tradition even though it's technically classed as a republic in EU3.
The tech dev diary said that no tech will ever take more than 999 to upgrade, so there's that. I assume they've fixed it already because they realized it was silly.
I'd suggest nothing replace it. The system in EU3 was fine, monarchies still have a lot of advantages like personal unions, royal marriages, etc. The advantage of republics was that you would never have a terrible leader for long, and if you were lucky you could have a great leader for a couple decades. I don't think they were truly overpowered, what they should have implemented was more hostility between republics and monarchies.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2013, 11:50:52 pm »

It'll really guarantee that the native americans are lagging far behind the europeans. Which, is obviously what they want; but it seems so artificial this way.

Though I cant really think of a better mechanic, given their frame work.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2013, 01:03:04 am »

It was also difficult for the Native Americans to tech up in EU3, and the tech levels of everyone not Western also suffered, because that's historically accurate. It doesn't stop you from accomplishing great things, though, it just makes it really difficult.

For example, there's an Iroquois World Conquer AAR on max difficulty for EU3. There were something like 8 provinces left unowned at the end of the game.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2013, 08:13:46 am »

Quote from: Balor (dev)
If you are among the small minority that bought ck2 at gg and have dlc there, you need to order eu4 from gg. There is no other technical solution.. ( still pissed at the amount of problems relating to the forum petition for a non-steam ck2)

Not relevant to me, but fairly important information I guess.

edit: ah, the converter is a CK2 dlc, and not a separate program.

See this for more info.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 08:18:30 am by Dutchling »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2013, 03:54:01 pm »

That is pure bull.

Never mind, they thought of that save games will work with all info saved if you disable the DLC I was worried I would have to restart.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:50:25 pm by stabbymcstabstab »
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2013, 04:18:47 pm »

Posting to watch.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2013, 04:55:16 pm »

I watched the Quill18 Exclusive, this game/series looks awesome, definitely getting it when it comes out.

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2013, 06:06:02 pm »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2013, 06:46:48 pm »

It'll really guarantee that the native americans are lagging far behind the europeans. Which, is obviously what they want; but it seems so artificial this way.

Though I cant really think of a better mechanic, given their frame work.

Better mechanic? Make people rage at you trying to invent new technologies and ruin their way of life.
._.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2013, 07:26:41 pm »

I think just having every tech cost 999 points is enough, making it harder to do anything at all is just ridiculous. It's tied to the eurocentric idea that european forms of government are magically superior than native american forms of government, despite the existence of the Aztecs, Incans, Iroquois, Powhatan's empire...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 216