Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461137 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2013, 07:01:03 pm »

I have, but right now I'm confused due to conflict information if I preorder EU4 now will I get the 100 year sprite pack and CK2/Converter or not?
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2013, 07:03:21 pm »

I have, but right now I'm confused due to conflict information if I preorder EU4 now will I get the 100 year sprite pack and CK2/Converter or not?

Yes. All pre-order bonuses will be granted if you pre-order, with the only content locked the digital extreme edition (and if you buy that, you have everything)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2013, 07:04:03 pm »

thanks
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2013, 07:20:00 pm »

Also, if they did a Space grand strategy, I'd figure that it'd be solar system instead of something more like GalCiv. Solar system would fit better and make more sense for the appropriate scale, where humanity would be fighting itself across the different planets, they'd have their own terrain penalties on top of planet penalties, etc. At least, it makes more sense to me. Perhaps after that it'd be appropriate for a GalCiv game for humanity vs. other dudes. Though really any of this isn't appropriate because all of the grand strategy stuff is historical and the future is... not.
If they somehow tied it to Freelancer it would be the most awesome thing ever. Coalition v. Alliance, fighting across all the planets. Eventually one side wins as the other pours all its resources into leaving.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2013, 08:15:30 pm »

If they somehow tied it to Freelancer it would be the most awesome thing ever. Coalition v. Alliance, fighting across all the planets. Eventually one side wins as the other pours all its resources into leaving.

I was kind of thinking a Freelancer vibe if they decided to do something like GalCiv, since that would have humanity vs. humanity across the galaxy. As for Solar System, I guess if you're just looking at one solar system from Freelancer I can kind of see it. Keep in mind that Freelancer is considered a failure at what it could have been, thanks to Microsoft, so it has a lot of unrealized potential. I just mention that to say don't keep your imagination of what could be shackled to something so restrictive.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Kaferian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2013, 11:04:22 am »

Yay! They gave me a reason to buy Sunset Invasion!

Dev Diary for the Converter

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2013, 11:13:17 am »

I wonder why it says two massive empires. I can only assume that it introduces the Inca Empire which was hinted in some of the Sunset Invasion events. Apparently these events implied that the Incas were aware of gunpowder which makes me wonder if that would be modeled in EUIV ...

I don't personally own the SI DLC and I have no plans on owning it. Mega doom stacks that have no attrition made me despise the Mongols and I don't see why I would want another faction invading that doesn't uphold the same gameplay mechanics the player is limited to.
SI has given me no lack of enjoyment however. My roommate bought the DLC pack since it was cheaper and it included SI. Every few months I hear him screaming about how he reinstalled CKII, started a long campaign only to find that he left the Aztecs invasion on and ruined his whole playthrough. 

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2013, 12:03:53 pm »

I think the Aztec invaded europe because they were fleeing from the gunpowder using Inca or something. I've never actually activated the DLC though.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2013, 01:44:27 pm »

your luck I lost most of my holdings in Spain and the English isles, it took five years to wipe them off the map and the french still have trouble with uprisings.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2013, 03:19:08 pm »

I think the Aztec invaded europe because they were fleeing from the gunpowder using Inca or something. I've never actually activated the DLC though.
This is what I've heard as well, though I never activated the DLC either.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2013, 04:59:13 pm »

Yeah the Incas have gunpowder and the Aztecs own every thing except the Incas and New England according to event messages.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2013, 09:53:09 pm »

Does anyone else really dislike the sound of a bunch of the new features? For instance
So, in Europa Universalis IV we have now added the concept of Republican Tradition. This is a value between 0 and 100%, and a newly formed republic starts with just 1% tradition – people like what they know, historically republics were seen as a little bit unstable, and it takes time before the ideas of civic freedom and voting for leaders take hold. A low republican tradition increases stability cost, and a high tradition reduces revolt risk. If you get a low republican tradition, you are more likely to have rebels supportive of restoring the monarchy, and if you ever go below 1% tradition you convert to a despotic monarchy rather quickly.

Your Republican Tradition goes up by +1% each year, and there are events that can give you a hard choice between tradition losses or other negative consequences. There are some advantages to playing a Republic – you get to choose your leaders in elections, after all. But you should never be really comfortable.

In light of adding this new mechanic, elections for Republics have changed slightly. You will lose 10% Republican Tradition if you re-elect the same leader, to represent the fear of a republic losing that regular change of office that guarantees the legitimacy of the government, and if you re-elect someone at while you have low tradition (currently we’ve set this at less than 20%), your Republican period comes to an end and you give birth to a despotic monarchy.
That's ridiculous, by that logic America is already a despotic monarchy from too many two-term presidents.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2013, 09:56:35 pm »

I'd have to see how it plays out before passing judgement.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 31, 2013, 10:12:13 pm »

[Insert mandatory joke about the US slowly becoming a despotic monarchy]

Republican Tradition makes sense to me. Today there are no lack of countries that are republic in name only. If you're going to let your Republican Tradition decay to the point where it's barely recognisable as a republic it makes sense for a leader to just sweep away the old failing system and put forth his own government. Monarchs were considered much more legitimate than republics in the greater European political game.

America would likely have a very high Republican Tradition and would likely have tons of events and perhaps even national ideas to booster it further. I would wager as America it would be very easy to have a bunch of presidents serve more than a single term.
It seems that it's mostly in place to stop the gamey abuse of republic governments by electing a new leader every term until a 8/8/8 leader comes along and then sticking with them for their lifetime.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 31, 2013, 10:21:12 pm »

Is that really so gamey though? It makes by far the most sense for that popular genius leader to be re-elected, and I have my doubts about whether the AI will be able to deal with it well.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 216