Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461909 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #885 on: November 08, 2013, 04:37:31 am »

The expasnion livestream has been up for a while: http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/c/3207932

So far I'm not all that amazed with the features. The nomadic features are interesting but far from needed. The tribes that were added don't seem like they will have any effect on the colonial game. The random map generator is just hideous with straight borders and trade. Finally there will be no improvements to the south americans.

I still think it would have been better to just make natives an EU3 horde that could be colonised without bordering them. That way you could fill up the whole American map and still colonise.
Ultimately I don't think I'll be getting this expansion and just relying on the patch.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 08, 2013, 07:00:18 pm »

Heh, yeah. I had that idea, and the idea of migrating natives. But it seems they kind of half-assed it, and didn't put in the colonizing-natives-a-la-horde idea.

Though I do like the colonial mechanic, with sub-colony nations. I wonder if it's one-colony-per-area or if you can have multiple colonial nations, like Canada and the Thirteen Colonies.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 08, 2013, 07:54:59 pm »

The random map generator is just hideous with straight borders and trade.

It's worth mentioning that they talked about how that part of the random map generation wasn't finished yet and that they were still working on making the continents and borders look nice.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 08, 2013, 08:00:54 pm »

The tribes that were added don't seem like they will have any effect on the colonial game.

I dunno, each  new tribe I think makes more fodder for the more... warlike tribes to become bigger, and hopefully more competitive with the Europeans. I hear something about the natives having some chances to become nearly on par with western nations, but I don't think they've clarified this yet.

The random map generator is just hideous with straight borders and trade.

At least this is a work in progress, they have expressed they want the borders to be different. Trade, *shrug*
Probably the same.

Finally there will be no improvements to the south americans.

I'm hoping they do change South America a bit while they still have time, but I don't know if they will.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 09, 2013, 08:08:11 am »

Are you sure South Americans will stay that way ? They said SA and NA will be the randomized continent.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 09, 2013, 08:17:06 am »

The optional random map generator will generate a randomised south and north america but south america will not be seeing any new features, nations or anything else. This has been confirmed by the devs on the forums.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 09, 2013, 08:30:38 am »

With all of the changes and additions for the North American nations I was pretty surprised when they mentioned that South American nations are staying the same.

It will be interesting to see how the game goes once the Europeans arrive with new colony mechanics. I wonder if colonies will be more willing to side with native nations against other colonies or even their parent nations.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 11, 2013, 06:50:45 am »

There was an announcement from Johan on the paradox forums about the expansion:

We decided to spend more time on polishing Conquest of Paradise and the 1.4 patch, so it will now be released in mid january instead.

It's nice to see that they aren't rushing it at least.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 11, 2013, 07:04:05 am »

Nice, as it looked pretty sloppy to me so far.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 11, 2013, 09:58:54 am »

I hope they expand the scope a little then. Colonial nations forming all across the world instead of just the Americans would be a good first step. Still think it would be nice to get some effort put into South America, even if it's just more tags.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 11, 2013, 01:09:01 pm »

I'd be happy just for them to expand Brazil into the Amazon, along the river routes.

Even better if they put tribal nations along those rivers.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 11, 2013, 01:35:14 pm »

I'd be happy just for them to expand Brazil into the Amazon, along the river routes.

Even better if they put tribal nations along those rivers.
I'd like it if they put some kind of complex provincial modifier system which represented natives resisting colonization which didn't allow for outright conquest. Like if neighbouring provinces helped the natives in a province you were colonizing, and natives moved around especially into the interior instead of being absorbed by your colonies.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 11, 2013, 01:56:21 pm »

Bringing trade posts back from EU2 would be perfect for this. Spain historically had very sparsely populated colonies which mostly existed to exploit the natives for gold and slaves, this is why the USA was able to annex northern Mexico and integrate the residents so easily.
Right now colonies only exist as developed cities which is rather silly. Make colonising much harder with the option to build trade posts to funnel trade like the Europeans mostly opted to do outside of North America. It would allow the natives to better resist settlement and make colonial nations rich while not having endless manpower and resources that they have now.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 11, 2013, 01:57:58 pm »

Three things I want to make the new world fun to play in, as a colonizer and as a native.

1) Dynamic colonial nations. We're getting that, with the Thirteen Colonies and all that. Time will tell if they half-ass it or not.

2) Horde-style colonization mechanic of native land. Edit: Plus the trade-post idea from Lolcats! :D Good one <3

3) Have natives have a "population" number, separate from their provinces, to represent their nomadic nature (if they were nomadic) and the plagues from the old world that decimated natives. The plagues send the number down, events of colonists defecting to natives brings it up, and let natives move around their provinces like the migrate button, but for any size. You move out of one province, and into another, and the number of provinces you can control at any one time is controlled by your population number. You can double-up in one province or triple or more, so you can have 3 1-pop provinces or 1 3-pop province, or more.

Have a malus to economy from a newly migrated province (so it only provides a small amount until your population gets accustomed to the new province), local to that province. Like instead of giving 5 bucks per month, give 1-2, until a timer runs out. The more settled natives like the Inca and the Maya, and the Aztec, don't migrate, but they get a bonus to tech-rate or something to compensate. And give them the same population mechanic, because they were hit by plagues too, only instead of evacuating provinces, it lowers stability and economy unless they decide to consolidate into a smaller but more robust nation. (Instead of 5 1-pop provinces, have 1 5-pop province)

And a possible mechanic for reforming from a nomadic tribe to a settled tribe being need an admin tech of 3-4 (to represent the basic technology you would need to store food for a large population over winter) and a threshold of population in a single province (to make a city).

Hopefully all this can be modded with the addition of that migrate button, as long as it's not hard-coded to one-province-minors and you can add in some sort of seperate population counter/province-owner-ship.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 11, 2013, 02:25:24 pm »

I'm going to wager that the dynamic colonial nations will be half-arsed purely by the fact that they're only for North America (forum hearsay by the devs say SA will not get any). It's a shame they haven't looked into integrating the dynamic colony naming mod that has been around since EU3.

I still stand by the horde mechanic being the best for natives. Sadly it has been tainted by the horrible implementation of the hordes of Divine Wind. Unlike the migration mechanic it allows theoretically every province to be populated by real natives, outside the scope of the official game but would be nice for mods.

I'm not particularly sold on the idea of population. Paradox has understandably moved away from population since it's near impossible to find anywhere near accurate population numbers (and that's from Europe let alone the world). Having shifting numbers could also technically simulate genocide which Paradox does not want which is why I find it strange they never got rid of "attack natives" button.
I don't think there really many cases of colonists defecting to natives. Most colonists met their end through starvation/disease. The natives generally had a pretty "live and let die" attitude towards the early colonists.

I'm also not totally sold on the migration mechanic. To my knowledge nomadic tribes tended to only migrate in their own territory and would face warfare if they expanded past those territories. It seems like it would be better to model "displacement" rather than "migration".
Displacement would allow tribes to pack up and move into foreign territory due to outside influences such as powerful neighboring tribes or expanding Europeans. This displacement would allow them to move into less organised tribal lands (generic natives) or fight neighbouring organised tribes to settle in those lands. This would make a gradual migration of tribes from the east to the west which would consolidate and eliminate weaker tribes which might become a major hassle for the colonial nations if left unchecked. In theory you could model historical forced displacement such as the Trial of Tears.
How hard this mechanic would be to implement I'm unsure. Haven't really modelled it too well yet. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 02:32:10 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 216