Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461945 times)

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #795 on: October 11, 2013, 03:20:23 pm »

That's because the type of rebels were government revolutionaries that affect the entire country. Other rebels that only focus on one territory or a group of territories need to take much less land (depending on country size).

Is this still your Maya game? I think you're getting pretty darn far for a Mayan player.

Yeah, I was actually doing pretty well compared to other nations. I ended up with highest overall income globally somehow (probably inflation to, all that inca and aztec gold does that to an economy), and I just kept expanding. Eventually, after figuring out all the economy stuff, I got bored and invited death to the americas. Got into a war with France, Britain, Castile, Portugal and Sweden all at once, just for the heck of it. After seeing they weren't going to put up much of a fight (hard to transport so many troops overseas, and I don't know what Castile was even doing) I figured I was probably in for a boring ride of expansion till 1820.

I think I'm going to give another new world nation a go. I wonder what would happen if the Iroqouis Confederacy remained in power in North America, let's find out. :)
At any rate the provinces are way more valuable then those in Central and South America so far, those were all 1 and 2 tax rate provinces. Now I'm surrounded by 3 4 and 5 potential tax rate provinces, goody. Is this just particularly good land, or is central and south american land just particularly shitty?

If you want to play inferior nations, you better to fire up some african tribe game, atleast you going to be much closer to europe to incite some action past 1600. Americas is incredibly boring to play in EU timespan. I had a Mali game, where I westernized and started trade and other wars past 1600, but it's was still pretty boring before that.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 11, 2013, 04:11:17 pm »

It's why I like the mods that add in a functional America.

It'd be even nicer if the horde colonizing mechanics from EU3 DW were back in, only this time make it in the form of being able to colonize the lands of people who have a extremely lower tech-level than you (I.E. the difference between Europe and the Americas when they were colonized historically.) That way, instead of a bare-naked America, the natives can have the land as actual states and nations, and if they westernize and tech up, you can't colonize them. And unless you break them militarily, they can easily form up a sizeable regiment of units and drive you out. (also that way you can't colonize France as England ;P)

I don't think you should have to declare war and siege the province to colonize it, but the natives should be able to drive anyone out of any province they own if they can. You should be able to land troops on provinces you have a colony on, so you can defend your provinces, but you can't move into uncolonized native territory that a native nation owns until you put a colony there, and the provinces you can colonize either need to be neighbouring one of your provinces or a coastal province.

Add in this and the colonization might actually be good while still having a functioning native america!

Okay now that I've thought of all this I REALLY want it in the game. I wonder if you can mod it...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 04:13:39 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 11, 2013, 05:09:10 pm »

Well, I organized my 1million soldiers, 500k infantry, 250k cav, 250k cannons, into 50 man armies, so that my 25 infantry fill the full 25 combat width. Now going to invade ming for a solid 4 provinces... Stupid rules. Maybe they have crappy provinces and I can get 5-7. Also managed to get 10 solid leaders for my troops with a preference for siege because siege is awesome. Hopefully I can siege shit down really fast with my 2-3 siege bonus and 12k-13k cannons, which is like 5-6 siege bonus?

Sadly I may just have to blanket war the far east so I can get a worthwhile number of provinces. 4 from Manchu 4 from Ming 4 from Korea 4 from Japan 4 from the other Japanese nation. Maybe head southeast too and nab another 5 nations. Although I may cause so much hate that I can't hit many south east nations before coalition kicks in. Bummer. I may be able to break my record of 1000 aggressive expansion that I hit against Malwa in India :P

I'm probably gonna raise another 400k troops made up of 6/4 inf cav though. That way I'll have 40 armies that can fight off the massive rebels I'll get after nabbing another 40-50 provinces. Holy shit am I gonna get a lot of rebels. But hey, at least with 50 rebel stacks running around and 10 new ones spawning every month I'll have a challenge. Even if the massive coalition against me were to be set off due to a dumb war dec by me, I would crush them into nothing.

Currently I'm raising the ships to transport my million man army and also building up production buildings to raise my tax base high enough to vassalize united Great Britain who has all the British islands lands except Cornwall which I stole to remove the 13 point distant borders penalty to my vassalizing them. Oh man will it be hilarious to vassalize the sole remaining great power in the world. Besides me.

Ming, under PU to Korea, doesn't count because they aren't western and are therefore week and pitiful.

I am the emperor of the HRE currently, because I vassalized electors. I really need to vassalize some other princes so I can finish maxing out reforms. Although if I form the united HRE I will lose my awesome color and title and possibly commonwealth ideas. Not sure. Does that happen?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 11, 2013, 05:26:43 pm »

It's why I like the mods that add in a functional America.

There were a few mods in EU3 that already made the North Americans into "hordes" which really did make the Native Americans feel much more dynamic and interesting. The only flaw was that the coast of the Americas had to be "unoccupied" so it could be colonised which looked very strange.

This coupled with some events to spawn some free units for the natives plus some extremely big tech gains when being colonised by Europeans would be an extremely easy, fast and much more historical fix for North America and most other nomadic natives.
Sadly I don't think it's possible to bring back the horde system for EUIV. I don't see anyway to make the natives interesting at all with the current mechanics. They're really just better being "unoccupied" and having them rebel through events a bit like the colonial revolters.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 05:28:26 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: October 13, 2013, 10:16:19 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you my first game of EU4.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Backstory. Start off as France, kick England and Portugals ass in the 100 years war. I take the 2 bottom coastal provinces. Peace for a while. Fight Provence, fucks over because Brittany is occupying them, so I cant take my war goal. Oh well. Suddenly, Normandy splits away, and Calais joins me. I instantly invade and take over Normandy, then peace for a little bit. I'm shaping up to fight Brittany, and it turns out they are allied to Burgundy. Beat both of them, after a fucking long time. Take some Brittany and Burgundy. Burgundy gets cut up a few years later. So, because I'm a idiot, I decide to do a invasion of England. Get military access from Scotland and start shuttling troops up there. Realize one my troops are there I have no claim. But guess what! England invaded Connaught, and I ally with them, call to arms, and invade. And that's how I ended up there. Tons of newbie mistakes, but I am learning.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 15, 2013, 01:23:56 pm »

Question for you guys, I just got Crusader Kings 2 this week and as I was planning to eventually get EU4 I was wondering how well that converter thing worked between the games.

Like for example how well does it handle the DLCs? Would a game where Sunset Invasion happened have more powerful Aztecs in the "New World"?
Same question for mods (I haven't downloaded anything, but I did change inherited traits to always inherit. Y'know for shits, giggles, and das uber dynastys.)

Speaking of dynasties, if I played straight until the end in 1400-whenever, would the last character of my dynasty still be alive during a converted EU4 game?
And what happens if I DON'T play till the end? Will it just fill in the blanks with regular old history?

Also, history is kinda boned in my CK2 games, is there a point where the converter just says "FUCK THAT, I'M OUT" and flat out flips its shit?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 15, 2013, 01:28:41 pm »

Question for you guys, I just got Crusader Kings 2 this week and as I was planning to eventually get EU4 I was wondering how well that converter thing worked between the games.

Like for example how well does it handle the DLCs? Would a game where Sunset Invasion happened have more powerful Aztecs in the "New World"?
Same question for mods (I haven't downloaded anything, but I did change inherited traits to always inherit. Y'know for shits, giggles, and das uber dynastys.)

Speaking of dynasties, if I played straight until the end in 1400-whenever, would the last character of my dynasty still be alive during a converted EU4 game?
And what happens if I DON'T play till the end? Will it just fill in the blanks with regular old history?

Also, history is kinda boned in my CK2 games, is there a point where the converter just says "FUCK THAT, I'M OUT" and flat out flips its shit?
If the Sunset Invasion DLC is turned on for the save, rergardless of invasion, you will have a different New World. Most noticeably is a special New World tech group with the same tech rate as the Western one. It also ports reformed pagan religions and Zoroastranism to new EU4 religions.
Dynasties exist in EU4, and they will be the same as in CK2. It's not as important as in CK2 though. Your game will always become a 1444 save, no matter when you port the save.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 15, 2013, 01:55:13 pm »

If the Sunset Invasion DLC is turned on for the save, rergardless of invasion, you will have a different New World. Most noticeably is a special New World tech group with the same tech rate as the Western one. It also ports reformed pagan religions and Zoroastranism to new EU4 religions.
Dynasties exist in EU4, and they will be the same as in CK2. It's not as important as in CK2 though. Your game will always become a 1444 save, no matter when you port the save.
Well that's pretty awesome with the SI thing.
But does that mean it doesn't port unreformed pagan religions? If not what happens to them? Do they just get "catholicized?"
And what about Heresies?
These are kind important because in my current game its 1131 right now and the Aztecs (reformed) have completely CRUSHED pretty much all Catholicism.
It only exists as a sliver up in England/Scotland. And that's getting Norsed HARD.
This is notable because I actually don't have Sunset Invasion. I just turned my Italian Duchess into an Aztec (yes I am a dirty cheater) to get around the "trapped on all sides with no casus belli" thing and was planning to turn her back to catholic but it just kinda spiraled and now all Christianity is Heresies, mostly Cathar and that Wendelusian or whatever (the W's have taken Ireland completely) so it would be a little disappointing if I ported it and suddenly POOF EVERYONE IS CATHOLIC AGAIN.
Also the Sunni have taken the Byzantine empire. Completely. So there goes Orthodox as well. Guess the Miaphysites win the whole Christian thing. Granted they are also under Sunni hoof, but less so.
I'm currently trying to bring back Zoroastrianism to break up that damn Arabian Empire. By cheating.
IT SPIRALED OK? DON'T JUDGE ME!

Yeah the dynasty thing doesn't really worry me too much, but it will be fun to see what the converter does with it, seeing how 90% of the world population is either a strong-attractive-genius or most of those plus EVERY deformity.
I pretty much created Eugenics Land.

Indeed, I do this.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 15, 2013, 02:20:37 pm »

Unreformed pagans become animist or shamanist. Heresies get turned into mainline.

I have no idea what will happen to you as an Aztec without SI. I haven't heard of anyone doing something like this.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 15, 2013, 02:24:09 pm »

Heresies turn into their parent religion, pagans turn into shamanist/animist unless they reformed.

That means you'll have Orthodox and Catholic and that's it. No Miaphysite.

Mods need to have their eu4_converter file modified to take into account the changes before they convert. I don't know what that'll mean for your own "always inherit" modification.

Also, yeah, no idea about the aztec thing. Probably, though? You'll be an Eastern tech-group (I think pagans turn into Eastern when they are reformed and converted. Might be wrong.) and there will be no New World changes. Unless you turn on Sunset Invasion for when you convert.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 15, 2013, 03:29:50 pm »

Well its nice to hear that the unreformed pagans won't suddenly find Jesus. That would kill the immersion. And piss off all the Christians on that scavenger hunt :P

But I'm pretty sure Miaphysite isn't a heresy, its considered a separate entity, just like Orthodox is separate from Catholic.
Granted EU might not take that into account, but that's how it works in CK2

I have NO idea what changes I would need to make to the converter file. This lack of knowledge is exacerbated by the fact I haven't downloaded the EU converter. Since I haven't bought EU yet. Would be kinda silly to buy the converter without the other game.

And that surprises me that I'm the only one to go Aztec sans SI, seems like the kind of thing non-cheaty people would do for extra hards. As for me I can't play normally for ten seconds without opening that console :P

Also, Lithuania is ruled by Draguns.
Nothing else in this will ever be that awesome.

EDIT: WELCOME TO CRAZY WORLD!

Spoiler: religion map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: realm map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HERE THERE BE DRAGUNS (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Also Here (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:52:12 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 16, 2013, 04:30:58 pm »

Save converting? Neat, didn't know you could do that. Should try out crusader kings at some point to then.

Spoiler: religion map (click to show/hide)

That is...I don't know what that is. Interesting, I guess?  ???

Anyyyway, doesn't seem I was able to form a strong native american nation like I did with the maya. Tried twice, went smoothly to. By 1540+- I would start colonizing, by 1600 I would own land from right up to Florido to Massachutes (hope I spelled that right, from the other side of the atlantic), and an immensly strong economy. Then the colonial powers come along and despite me westernizing asap, they go straight for me and grab all my hard earned land, all the while completely ignoring the Cherokee, Aztec and Inca.
I don't know, does having a lot of high quality land make you a bigger target?

Also
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I decided to form the mighty Malayan empire. Been a crazy game so far, started as Aceh, subjagated my neighbor pretty quickly, then got in a nasty fight with Ayuthaya in Thailand. Won two crushing victories securing me the entire neighboring peninsula, while seriously destabilizing Thailand as powers started shifting, Ayuthaya having been the dominant power before. Ming also seems to be seriously messed up, no idea what happened there. Then formed Malaya and conquered the remaining nations in the Malayan and Indonesian region, while war ravaged mainland Thailand. Now the mainland seems ripe for the taking before the next big power settles in, so I allied with a muslim nation in Thailand and India. Before I know it I'm embroiled in a bloody Indian war with and against nations I don't even know. And I'm leading the war somehow.

I don't know if it's my influence or not, but southen Asia sure seems bloody this era.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 16, 2013, 06:04:33 pm »

China, from what I've seen, is always unstable in vanilla. So what you got is no surprise.

Also, I do suggest prioritizing colonization some time before Europe gets there. Don't want some ugly Spanish yellow in your neighborhood, do you?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #808 on: October 16, 2013, 06:29:04 pm »

Jeez, why is Ming never unstable in any of my Japan games?

Also, Ming is programmed to fracture at low stability (or have a chance at fracturing). That's why it does that.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 16, 2013, 09:33:21 pm »

That is...I don't know what that is. Interesting, I guess? ???

Basically that's the religion view from my crazygame.
Everything in Europe that started off worshipping Catholicism is now worshipping Aztec gods, and every other Christian denomination is getting torn apart by muslims, other pagan faiths, or just multiple heresies. Basically Jesus died twice in this world.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 216