Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461526 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2925 on: February 08, 2017, 02:15:45 pm »

prussia is pretty solid, but brandenburg starts with prussian ideas, so you already have (access to) most of your military capabilities. that said, prussia does get a unique gov't type, but i think only with rights of man. haven't played around with it any so i don't actually know what it does

as for ideas, innovative first is good for brandenburg/prussia. i'm not personally a fan of innovative, or policies in general, but inno + quality gets you an infantry combat ability policy, which is what gets you the so-called space marines prussia is infamous for

watch out for lubey's trade league buddies too, when you do fight them. iirc, it doesn't display in the declare war screen like normal allies, but they WILL get called in when you attack

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2926 on: March 03, 2017, 01:17:46 pm »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: April 04, 2017, 10:32:12 pm »

Poland is fucking terrifying in my game.

He got the PU over Lithuania as he usually gets, and now he has one over Muscovy as well.  At least he's still my ally.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: April 08, 2017, 01:58:10 pm »

Does Mandate of Heaven seem to make Ming particularly nuts for y'all? Playing them seems like kicking over sandcastles now.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: April 08, 2017, 03:02:55 pm »

Ming was always hella nasty in player hands, but now they're just dumb. Manchu is kinda silly too, though, so it probably evens out for the AI.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: April 15, 2017, 12:05:12 pm »

Why the hell won't Printing Press spread into Spain? I'm playing as Spain (as you might imagine) and it's almost time for Global Trade to show up but we still don't have friggin' Printing Press and it'll cost me like 1.5k ducats to embrace it.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: April 16, 2017, 11:13:16 am »

To sum it up, you can either be protestant or wait for it to painfully spread out from your (European) capital (or dump thousands of ducats into it, which is incidentally the only way the AI ever gets poorly scripted institutions like this either).

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: April 20, 2017, 05:02:05 pm »

Anyone else enjoy Extended Timeline? The Ming upgrade to 1.20 seems to have borked it.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: April 27, 2017, 04:59:59 pm »

What's the easiest Japan start these days? I know for a fact the Mandate of Heaven update updated the way Japan is designed, so it seems to me that older guides to unification are tangentially useful at best.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: April 30, 2017, 06:12:57 am »

So, I got plans for returning to EUIV after getting a breakdown from the stupid AI while playing as Hungary. I'm planning to revisit it again and I have a couple of questions:

1. Is Mandate of Heaven worth it? How did people react to it?
2. Has been the combat width brought back? Removal of combat width made small-to-medium factions even more weaker than ever before. They have like zero chance to win against Ottoderps or BBB after the removal (unless you're a god-tier player).
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: April 30, 2017, 07:04:29 am »

Uh, I dont think they ever removed combat width. Just the terrain penalties to it. But since one is now always the defender when relieving a siege, defending has become way easier.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: April 30, 2017, 07:22:37 am »

Uh, I dont think they ever removed combat width. Just the terrain penalties to it. But since one is now always the defender when relieving a siege, defending has become way easier.

Well, I did mean "combat width penalty". In what way defending became "easier"? If anything, small nations have zero chance without the penalty which their enemies receive, penalty to rolls is not noticeable against BBB or Ottomans, while "combat width penalty" was deciding factor between failure or success.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:26:56 am by CrocAndBearLover »

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: April 30, 2017, 07:37:33 am »

What's the easiest Japan start these days? I know for a fact the Mandate of Heaven update updated the way Japan is designed, so it seems to me that older guides to unification are tangentially useful at best.
Uesugi seems one of the best Daimyos around, judging by AI performance. They were also a historical powerhouse if that matters any. If you can manage the diplo game well, Shimazu looks really interesting in terms of their ideas, since even their traditions let them snowball into having the best troops and generals more or less.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: April 30, 2017, 09:56:50 am »

Maaaaan, AI of allies turned from "slightly idiotic" to "inbred imbecile". AI completely ignores enemy siege in the nearest province and besieges enemy fort, even though he obviously can crush it and it won't take long at all. I think Total War: Rome II at the release had MUCH better AI, even though it doesn't say much.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: May 03, 2017, 01:10:23 pm »

This is why multiplayer EU4 is the one true way to play the game.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 216