Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 460980 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2700 on: July 06, 2016, 09:40:13 pm »

The AI cheats on a lot of other things (like ignoring fort maintenance costs and naval attrition) so it wouldn't surprise me.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2701 on: July 06, 2016, 10:00:06 pm »

I would pay much money to have Google's AI team work with Paradox to make things not-shit
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: July 06, 2016, 10:23:48 pm »

RE: Coalitions, it appears to be that you can conquer all of the Americas, Europa, Africa, Asia and Australia - but god forbid you take two counties in Italy, instant coalition with the entire world vs you. MILAN MUST BE PROTECTED, THEY ARE A BEACON OF INNOCENCE IN TIMES OF TURMOIL
Don't worry, I'm certain several Kings Charles and King Louis all agree with you. :P

((Of course, I'm of the opinion that snowballing in the game is a bit too easy, so I'm probably not a credible source of sympathy. ^_^))

EDIT:
At any rate, I've been doing some digging since I'm curious how badly the AI cheats as well in this regard.  Primary sources of AI AE reduction are either cranking up the difficulty (Hard and Very Hard give the AI 33% reduction to AE) or Lucky nations (which receive 25% reduction to AE).  General sources that players often neglect are very high prestige (10%), control of the Curia (20%), or ideas.  On the forums, all I can find are a few players arguing that "maybe the AI cheats here" even though this is one of the possible cheats that, if it existed, would be off-loaded to the static modifiers.  I'm not saying that it cannot be that it's cheating, but I'm not certain I can take it on a matter of faith that it is, either.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 10:40:20 pm by Culise »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: July 07, 2016, 12:20:33 am »

EDIT:
At any rate, I've been doing some digging since I'm curious how badly the AI cheats as well in this regard.  Primary sources of AI AE reduction are either cranking up the difficulty (Hard and Very Hard give the AI 33% reduction to AE) or Lucky nations (which receive 25% reduction to AE).  General sources that players often neglect are very high prestige (10%), control of the Curia (20%), or ideas.  On the forums, all I can find are a few players arguing that "maybe the AI cheats here" even though this is one of the possible cheats that, if it existed, would be off-loaded to the static modifiers.  I'm not saying that it cannot be that it's cheating, but I'm not certain I can take it on a matter of faith that it is, either.

Yeah, I don't think there's evidence anywhere of it. People tend to jump to conclusions about the AI cheating, when paradox seems to be a studio that cares far more than most about making the AI play by the same rules, for better or worse (often for worse, IMO). Though paradox does have an interesting habit of hardcoding things that could be easily supported in the scripting language; AI naval attrition is a good example of this, and you should take a peek in the diplomatic_actions and scripted_functions files to see all the wasted potential for all the little restrictions on everything that have been added over the years.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: July 07, 2016, 11:47:31 pm »

The more I learn about the AI of EU4. The more I think that no effort was put into it. The AI seems to be only competent at the most basic stuff. Moving units so they (sometimes) avoid obvious losses, remembering to use their diplomats/traders/etc. (not correctly, just to use them), how to ally with the player's allies and rivals to mess with the player, the ability to build stuff... Really basic things that don't seem like they would require much effort. I want to think it's because AI is simply hard to code, but I've seen some really good AI and it doesn't match up.

Maybe the AI is limited because of the sheer quantity of nations that it has to run on?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: July 08, 2016, 12:54:00 am »

Programming AI to fill the same role as human players is always hard.  Always.  Not necessarily defending the job Paradox has done, just saying.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: July 08, 2016, 02:15:59 am »

Well Paradox isn't the best at AI programming, or Q&A, or fully fleshed out game mechanics at launch.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2707 on: July 08, 2016, 10:23:27 am »

Paradox isn't the best at games
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: July 08, 2016, 11:36:21 am »

They're good at games, they're just not good at gamePLAY.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2709 on: July 08, 2016, 11:43:31 am »

Paradox games are amazing to sit and watch on observer mode.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2710 on: July 09, 2016, 10:09:31 am »

As it happens, the r/eu4 mods have a sense of humour:

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: July 09, 2016, 11:40:09 am »

The AI cheats on a lot of other things (like ignoring fort maintenance costs and naval attrition) so it wouldn't surprise me.
Oh, don't get me started on that shit. When I conquered east Asia in my Yamato game I had to delete forts from something like 80% of the provinces I took. :I

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: July 09, 2016, 08:39:04 pm »

I don't think they ignore fort maintenance. I've seen some AI with red forts.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: July 09, 2016, 08:55:57 pm »

I did some looking into to it, the AI gets free upkeep on forts bordering another nation. Which is pretty strong.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: July 09, 2016, 09:34:24 pm »

I did some looking into to it, the AI gets free upkeep on forts bordering another nation. Which is pretty strong.

That makes more sense.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 216