Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461167 times)

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2490 on: December 31, 2015, 11:43:00 pm »

Having just gotten to play the cossacks/1.14 patch, is it just me or is the very early game (first 5-10 years) suddenly WAY more passive than it used to be? In at least a dozen runthroughs of those first years (I'm trying a pretty specific strategy as castille) I've seen literally three wars between two countries larger than ~3 provinces (portugal attacking morocco, and sweden going for independance twice) when before it was really common to see england and france going to war and stuff like that.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: January 01, 2016, 09:30:29 am »

Having just gotten to play the cossacks/1.14 patch, is it just me or is the very early game (first 5-10 years) suddenly WAY more passive than it used to be? In at least a dozen runthroughs of those first years (I'm trying a pretty specific strategy as castille) I've seen literally three wars between two countries larger than ~3 provinces (portugal attacking morocco, and sweden going for independance twice) when before it was really common to see england and france going to war and stuff like that.
It's because England and France used to start at war, and now they don't.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: January 01, 2016, 09:41:33 am »

There was some bug due to countries being at war with each other at the start of the game.  The Ottomans and Albania don't start at war with each other anymore either.

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: January 01, 2016, 09:49:37 am »

No I mean after those wars got patched out (I'm only talking ~2 or 3 months back). You'd normally see England and France go to war sometime within a few years, for instance, it doesn't happen now. Aside from a few nations beating the crap out of much smaller ones it feels like the start date for anything interesting has been pushed back like 5-10+ years because nothing happens.

Basically without any changes to the diplomatic/military situation at the start of the game (in the region I'm looking at most, which is far western Europe) I'm seeing basically a drastic drop in the aggressiveness of the AI going from the common sense patch to the cossacks patch.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:53:34 am by DemonOfWrath »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: January 02, 2016, 03:14:45 pm »

Here's my most recent game, OPM Riga -> Livonia. Gameplay mod is Extended Vanilla Experience, visual mod is Theatrum Orbis Terrarum.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm probably going to stop it here as I've hit that point where it's not really a challenge any longer (basically I just expand into the infinite nothingness that is horde land, and then turn around and crush Lithuania/Poland), but it was fun while it lasted. I probably wouldn't of formed Livonia if I knew how ugly its color was, but I decided to live with my mistake.

Check out Spain and France!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2495 on: January 02, 2016, 03:19:23 pm »

Paint the world brown.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: January 02, 2016, 03:31:00 pm »

Form Kurland.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: January 02, 2016, 03:48:33 pm »

It seems like only riga/livonian order have the option to form kurland; if you decide to form livonia itself, you dont have any further formables. Not that a minute in the mod files couldnt fix that. Kurland was actually my goal at first, but I couldnt figure out how to deal with the forced protestant/reformed conversion without killing my country. Looking back at it I probably could of provoked some protestant rebels to convert my provinces before switching.

Oh well, painting things horrific shades of brown is more reminiscent of grade school art class anyway.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:04:30 pm by Rex_Nex »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2498 on: January 02, 2016, 06:31:40 pm »

A great victory for Hinduism occurred when the Syrians, Palymyrians and Greeks in the Middle East were brought into the Hindu fold. The birthplace of Christianity from Alexandria to Antioch now praised Shakti. Islam's headway into Persia was reversed when the Nepalese and Persian forces united for the first (and only time) in 800 years of Persio-Nepali feuding to repulse the Nepalese Caliphate from Mesopotamia; the Chola dynasty planned on reconquering Nepalese Arabia and converting the peninsula back to Hinduism to bring security to the Mediterranean-Indian ocean supply line. The Zoroastrians have also been losing some land to Chalcedons and Tengri barbians to the north, whilst all of Persian Anatolia was lost to a resurgent Greek Empire (the Greeks in turn losing their Levantine holdings to the Hindus). The far eastern Buddhists are still strong, the Japanese have adopted Shintoism and one of the southeastern island states worships Mesoamerican gods for some reason.
Most notably the only things unchanged are that the Druids of the British Isles have outlasted their real life counterparts by hundreds of years now and the Norse faith is in comfortable standing after the one nation of Scandinavia was formed by the Danes.

Light green = Nepalese Empire direct control, dark green = vassal states, muted green = colonial nation of Nile
Red = Hostile states
Yellow = Neutral states
Blue = Allies (Roman Empire and Han Empire)

The Mongols (pink) are still strong and have defeated the Huns, the Parthians (tan) were wounded greatly by the loss of much land to the Greeks (beige) and the independence of the Alans (light green in Georgia) to the north, the Scandinavians (blue) united, the Romans (red) are resurgent and the Catonese state of Zhou (white, southern China) has returned once more after the Han (yellow) warred with the Japanese (red) to kick them out of Korea (split between two Korean Kingdoms, East and West Korea). The Nepalese are also soon to extend their colonial nation of Nile to cover one end of Africa to the next! The prime goal is to reconquer the Caliphate, who were formerly a Nepalese colony which converted to Islam. Then once they're subjugated I'll bring them back as the Nepalese Merchant Caliphate of Hindu Arabia.
I think other than one or two more provinces, I'll stop gouging land out of the Parthians - weakening them has allowed the Christians to make major headway going East. I wonder if I can get the other pagans in Europe (druid England and Norse Scandinavia) to either convert to Hinduism or start carving land out of the Chalcedons.

I also took over the Rock of Gibraltar, allowing me to import Western ideas from the Germans in Spain. Westernization whilst overextended and at war under a Chola Emperor with a weak claim produced a mass revolt of hundreds of thousands of rebels all across the Empire.
Including one particular nasty case where 100,000 rebels attacked the Greeks at Corfu. The Greeks were not prepared.

These were happy times, but the population of India did decrease somewhat drastically.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2499 on: January 05, 2016, 09:49:53 pm »

Oh god I just invaded Normandy in the 10th century from the coast off Kent and 60,000 of my men just got slaughtered, how do you even kill that many men so quickly...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2500 on: January 05, 2016, 10:00:02 pm »

60 000 men in the 10th century? Fastest way would probably be to sink the ships they're on :P
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2501 on: January 05, 2016, 11:00:39 pm »

Ancient aliens clearly. They gave Normans machineguns.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: January 07, 2016, 10:09:54 am »

My Yamato game...

Well, all that really needs to be said is lolAbbasids, and that I'm now guaranteeing the Republic of Kyrgystan against Sunni aggression in the early 1200s. I fed Francia some dosh so that they could eat the Byzantines first after they almost went down to the Abbasids and their allies. Sweden's blobbed up a bit, but it's all shit low-development territory and they'll roll over if they're attacked. I'm rushing to finish eating Tibet and start working on the SE Asian states before the Abbasids finish off Bharat. Meanwhile in the New World, the Crimson Empire has almost fully colonized one of the three major continents and is island-hopping to both of the others. I'm afraid that they're going to finish stomping everything there before I get the range to do so myself.

My Legitimacy is in the garbage because I just had a daughter inherit, but I've got the largest army in the world and 95k ducats in the treasury so it's not like the rebels are getting anywhere. Managed to make both Korean and Han accepted, so pan-Asian hegemony is a go.

At this point I'm hoping that by the time the game reaches modern-ish times it'll be a 1984 sort of situation with the world split between three or four major powers. Then I'll invade the fuck out of everyone, force releases, grant independences, and watch the carnage that comes of Balkanizing the whole world.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2503 on: January 07, 2016, 09:56:30 pm »

I just revoked the Priveligia in my Austria game. This is a beautiful feeling.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: January 07, 2016, 10:03:19 pm »

Now vassal swarm the whole world.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 216