Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461211 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #2370 on: December 18, 2015, 07:52:25 pm »

Same.  If something seems really wonky, there are a whole host of possible reasons, ranging from the player missing something due to working on another front or the like to map adjacency bugs (especially given the mention of re-randomized country names, as Teneb pointed out).  The easiest way is by checking a save file, but that's apparently already been mentioned and discounted due to rage-quit.  Teleporting armies or ignoring navy capacity caps, however, are not one of the ways the AI cheats in EU4 to the best of my knowledge.

Well, except for a really weird bug where rebels apparently teleported to Sweden whenever they were beaten that was fixed in 1.12.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:55:15 pm by Culise »

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: December 18, 2015, 08:41:26 pm »

I don't know how provinces work in EU4, but since i've seen natural harbours occur inlands (somehow) with the new RNW, could it be possible that the game registers a province as adjacent to your province, yet not being near eachother? Like a portal.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2372 on: December 18, 2015, 08:48:38 pm »

Are you sure those aren't Inland Centres of Trade, like Florence, or Champagne? EUIV's got its problems, but I'm 90% sure teleporting armies and funky province adjacency are not on that list.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: December 18, 2015, 10:41:28 pm »

I don't know how provinces work in EU4, but since i've seen natural harbours occur inlands (somehow) with the new RNW, could it be possible that the game registers a province as adjacent to your province, yet not being near eachother? Like a portal.
It's probably this, a bug with the RNW. There was a picture on Reddit pretty soon after the latest DLC came out that had a province bordering basically an entire coastline when it should have been bordering only a couple of provinces towards the north end of said coastline.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: December 18, 2015, 11:08:09 pm »

That's probably it then. I remember some hilarious stuff in CKII with provinces right next to each that would take years to travel between, and wormholes across continents. I think it's happened in EU4  before as well.

pedrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: December 21, 2015, 04:09:27 am »

One of the guys I game with routinely does this, claiming impossible stuff happened which is totally against the rules of whatever game we're playing.

Stack appeared out of nowhere, my unit disappeared, this is impossible, I saw it wasn't there...

I'm not saying this is your case, but I know for a fact that even if there is a bug in your game one of the least likely things to happen because of a program malfunction is an enemy army appearing out of nowhere. A scrambled name, a missing graphic, a stupid AI decision... those are likely bugs.

Sorry for being skeptical. But I believe there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for you problem. Maybe the army got transported by boat and the AI deleted some ships because of negative cashflow right after the troops finished unloading?

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: December 21, 2015, 10:21:49 am »

-snip-
I rarely see AI delete/scrap ships.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: December 21, 2015, 11:45:30 am »

For what it's worth, I've seen an army pop out of nowhere right in front of my eyes as well. I've also seen the AI scrap ships when they have taken extreme economic damage, but only big navy nations like Spain, France, and England.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: December 21, 2015, 12:23:10 pm »

You sure it wasn't a mission that gave them a claim?

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: December 21, 2015, 01:45:33 pm »

For what it's worth, I've seen an army pop out of nowhere right in front of my eyes as well. I've also seen the AI scrap ships when they have taken extreme economic damage, but only big navy nations like Spain, France, and England.
On my last Russia-try, England went 5k in debt and even then didn't remove their navy. Damn britts love their ships.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: December 21, 2015, 02:27:32 pm »

Yeah, I've got a modded game (CK2 import) where Byzantium is the only real rival to my fuckhueg Bharat, and they have a navy of 221 (mostly galleys) with a naval limit of 153. Not even thinking about challenging them in the Mediterranean.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2381 on: December 21, 2015, 07:45:15 pm »

I have a Castile game where I rule the western half of the Mediterranean. The other half belongs to the Ottomans. We've been rivals for a hundred years or so.
The kebabs have been relentlessly advancing into Europe. Most of Hungary has been devoured. My allies in Austria and the PLC are really shit at doing useful things. Austria is more concerned about annexing HRE provinces, and the Commonwealth has been steadily losing ground to a weird Livonian Order/Novgorod/Muscovy alliance.
The other major powers aren't doing much better. France is perpetually butting heads with Austria, and would be winning if I didn't keep sinking obscene amounts of money and manpower into keeping them in check.
England is faffing around in the New World and generally being worthless. They're allied to the Ottomans because of the Protestant League (which won the war because of Ottoblob, even though the Reformation was really weak) which makes colonial wars a pain. I'm basically relying on income from colonies and trade companies to hold ground against the Ottomans, which is why hampering England is so important.
Ming, Delhi, and Japan have blobbed to the point that expansion in East Asia is prohibitively difficult. On their own they're no match for the mighty Spanish Empire, but I don't have the resources to commit against them with the lime green armies breathing down my neck.
Overall, this is pretty darn entertaining.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: December 21, 2015, 08:14:17 pm »

Okay, I find myself in need of advice.

I'm allied and RM'd with Germany and have been for nigh on 400 years, and have been constantly improving relations. Upside: no need to remove sauerkraut. Downside: Sweden, Poland, &c. cannot into remove sauerkraut. I'm basically Scrooge McDucking it up in my treasury at this point, so I've been flooding Sweden with shekels (and the same to Bulgaria to help them remove protokebab), but I'm reluctant to outright attack Germany, for several reasons.

1. Still busy consuming and digesting all that pasta.
2. Byzantines are mostly being kept in check because I stomp their stacks every time Italy calls them, and because Germany, the Abbasids, and the Oghuz are constantly running a train on them.
3. I'd have to be the one to stomp Germany's shit in, rather than them being kept occupied by the Nordic folks. Keep in mind that the only reason I'm eating all this pasta is to stave off boredom while I wait for colonization ideas so that I can free Western Europe and fuck off to East Asia to play grab-ass with the Europe-sized Japanese empire.
4. I inherit if they don't have an heir.

I also don't want to fight Italy too much, because that also means fighting Moravia and the Byzantines, which fucks with the balance of power when Germany DoWs them while they're at 0 manpower with a bunch of empty unit stacks. It'd be less of a problem if those two-faced assholes in Germany hadn't given them access, because my fleets can easily blockade the Med.

What do?

Unrelated: Yes, the Vatican has basically been relocated to the Balkans and is now palling it up with their Moravian neighbors.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: December 21, 2015, 09:04:41 pm »

Fabricate on Tunisia.  Take a few provinces along the west coast to get you closer to sub-Saharan Africa when you get exploration.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: December 21, 2015, 10:41:16 pm »

My navarra game is doing really good, don't have a screenshot as I am gonna take a break for a bit and kinda forgot to take one.

But I have all of Iberia, with Portugal being a vassal. A small part of southern France, a huge part of the surrounding provinces of Constantinople (freed Greece and made as a Vassal) and all of coastal egypt (except I freed Jerusalem who got a couple coastal provinces through a decision event and also made them a Vassal). I also have antioch and the coastal provinces there, and Ottoman no longer has the southern coastal provinces except for the Balkan ones.

Probably will stop conquering a bit so I don't get coalitions that I always hate dealing with and need to start building up my economy again anyway. Plus I need to focus on securing and building up my provinces and get tech/ideas. Once I start warring again, I'll probably take more Ottoman provinces and secure my holdings around there. But I also want to connect Iberia with my eastern front as my force is split in half with two armies (one massive army in Iberia, the other in the Holy Lands), probably do it through africa since its a bunch of weak nations out there except Morocco is pretty strong. It'll look like the roman empire almost, except I won't have much of europe or italy lol. The main issue is I'd need to go to war with naples to get his three north african provinces that he took over, and I don't really want to go to war with naples and his huge alliance lol.

I also have a few colonies, one in south america, one in north america and one in west africa. They don't really do much lol.

The strangest thing is Scotland went from one island province to having his whole original territories again lol. But then norway/scotland go back and forth. Iceland randomly appeared too, but maybe that is normal. But the funniest was France who was completely wiped out, but then french rebellions appeared and france reappeared again and has become quite a power.

The most helpful has been my quantity ideas lol, can field such a huge army with it that it let me split my forces in two pretty much (iberia/holy lands) and still do really well. The only problem I might run into is that I have kind of a lot of colonies and vassals (3 vassals, 3 colonies). But they have been at 0-5% independence so its not an issue for now.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 216