Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461724 times)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1920 on: February 28, 2015, 07:35:37 pm »

I wish they would shovel all these advantages for the AI into a ruleset. Heard on one of Arumba's videos that they want to change attrition so that the AI don't suffer attrition unless their individual armies exceed the support limit, but the player will suffer attrition if the total number of armies exceeds the limit. Why base your game on history when you aren't going to base the gameplay on reality?

Because it's difficult for Paradox to program an efficient-enough AI to handle some of these situations to the point where it isn't exploitable by the player.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: February 28, 2015, 07:47:45 pm »

I wish they would shovel all these advantages for the AI into a ruleset. Heard on one of Arumba's videos that they want to change attrition so that the AI don't suffer attrition unless their individual armies exceed the support limit, but the player will suffer attrition if the total number of armies exceeds the limit. Why base your game on history when you aren't going to base the gameplay on reality?

Because it's difficult for Paradox to program an efficient-enough AI to handle some of these situations to the point where it isn't exploitable by the player.

Their AI is pretty bad because it only considers the current situation (most factors abstracted to a few numbers, even) and tries to make decisions solely on it, while a good AI would need an ability for making plans and then carrying them out. There are some rudimentary mechanics to emulate the "making plan" part in the game (rivals and such), but Paradox AI doesn't do the "carry out" right at all, because it doesn't know the results of its own actions and thus cannot predict itself, which periodically leads to bouts of circular decisions.

Fixing that would require to basically rewrite it from scratch, and because I'm fairly sure that Paradox's AI hasn't been significantly changed since Europe 1, it seems that they're really conservative in regards to that.
._.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: March 01, 2015, 11:07:46 am »

As usual they fucked up again with the new features they implement.

It's nigh impossible to westernize as an Aztec nation now.

Not only do you have to vasselize 5 other nations 5 times. Releasing the nations each time for your religious reform.
But the reform pushes your doom up by 25 and reduces your stability by 1. That's not the hard part.
But if you ever reach 100 doom you can say goodbye to all your acquired religious reforms and start over again.

And every province you have gives you +1 doom per year.
With the 10 year truce after vasselizing and only fighting, besieging, random events and vasselizing reducing doom it's quite insane.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it wrong to get enough provinces to increase your land-limit so that you can't be roflstomped by an alliance?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: March 01, 2015, 12:42:18 pm »

Yeah, you kinda have to be in a continuous state of war or something. The issue, is that, once you passed the 5 reforms, what the fuck do you do ? You can't reform until there is a western core nearby, and the doom clock is still ticking.
And with no boats, you're limited to the initial aztec and maya country to battle with. So you have to release and fight vassals until the westerners arrive.

For the initial part, I'd recommend not taking any land but the Center of commerce (there is one which isn't a capital). Eventually, with more reforms, they reduce the yearly doom, so you can have a bit more provinces.
The 10 yr truce after the reform is quite hard, that's why I'd recommend to leave one of your weaker neighbour with no truce to attack after your reform. That should be enough to wait until all the truces are over (though, it's sometimes hard because the released vassals sometimes vassalize each other), and suffer the bad side of doom reducing events (choose -doom, unless the truce ends in 2 years or so).

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: March 01, 2015, 12:53:06 pm »

But if you ever reach 100 doom you can say goodbye to all your acquired religious reforms and start over again.

What the fuck. That sounds like the most retarded mechanic for a Paradox game of all times. Seriously, they actively throw back your progress?

Why Paradox hates non-Europeans so much? First, the infamous Shogunate of Japan, then the Chinese "inward perfection", then this?

I wonder how many new bullshit mechanics will be in HoI 4... I dearly hope they'll actually implement proper planning AI for army control because the travesty that was HoI 3's command system has only showcased the stupidity of their artificial "intelligence".
._.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: March 01, 2015, 11:51:43 pm »

What the fuck. That sounds like the most retarded mechanic for a Paradox game of all times. Seriously, they actively throw back your progress?

Why Paradox hates non-Europeans so much? First, the infamous Shogunate of Japan, then the Chinese "inward perfection", then this?

I wonder how many new bullshit mechanics will be in HoI 4... I dearly hope they'll actually implement proper planning AI for army control because the travesty that was HoI 3's command system has only showcased the stupidity of their artificial "intelligence".

From what I've heard about it, the Mesoamerican reform system actually sounds kind of refreshing. There aren't many problems in EU4 that can't be solved by blobbing more, and having a system like that (if done well) that actually shakes things up along the way seems way more interesting than most systems. I wouldn't say they hate non-Europeans after releasing something more complex than the HRE framework, anyway. I'd agree about the Shogunate to an extent though, Japan was my favorite to play in EU3 but I haven't really enjoyed it in EU4.

Granted, I haven't played it, so I don't know how well they implemented it. If you have to resort to releasing vassals just to have someone to fight, then they probably messed it up somewhere.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: March 02, 2015, 12:00:11 am »

Every update I feel like playing this less and less...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: March 02, 2015, 03:34:31 am »

I messed around with El Dorado a bit. First, I created a Viking settlement in Canada after I noticed you can choose Norse as religion. It was fun messing around a little, but ultimately boring. So I jumped into playing Cuzco and forged the Incan Empire. The religion reforms are indeed fun. I guess I'll continue that game and see what happens when I westernize - I did locate French colonies around modern Venezuela, so I'm colonizing/conquering towards there. The year is 1550s or so.

Ever since Art of War I've been keeping a couple of militant vassals (marches) around based on hinterlands. They are actually quite useful in defeating rebellions and occupying provinces. Plus I guess I just like the illusion of having friends. (*sniff*)

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: March 02, 2015, 09:05:39 am »

I actually really like El Dorado.
Created a Prussian custom nation in modern day South Africa with colonise and battle heavy ideas. At the moment I am colonizing the pacific and rofl stomp Ethiopia. The only thing that really makes me wonder is the way discoveries don't trigger for me. I can understand why I don't start with them even though I am western tech, but I should really get them at some point. I know every single coast in the world but don't know how it looks inside the continents. Which means I will probably wait until 1700 and then just remove the terra incognita per console just so I can see something.

I think there should be a trigger for western countries who are outside Europe, something like creating contact with a European Nation grants you the full view over Europe or something like that.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: March 02, 2015, 03:17:57 pm »

Did they make it harder for Peasant's war to happen? In my current game peasant's war won't happen unless stability is less than 0, where before you didn't but having more than 0 stability prevented progress towards the disaster firing.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: March 02, 2015, 03:26:00 pm »

Are you overextended? Overextended or low stability both cause progress for peasant's war.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: March 02, 2015, 03:35:43 pm »

Are you overextended? Overextended or low stability both cause progress for peasant's war.
I'm overextended and have no manpower, but my stability is at 0 and I don't meet the conditions for the Peasant's War.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: March 02, 2015, 03:45:53 pm »

They must've changed it, then. It used to be <25%, stability <1 and overextension all contributed to the event, with the two former being required for it to fire.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: March 02, 2015, 03:55:13 pm »

Are you at war? Peasant's war can't progress while you are at war. I used that trick to avoid the peasant's war.  I declared on a OPM when I was  like 50% OE and low on manpower. I simply white peaced when I had recovered enough manpower.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: March 03, 2015, 08:22:16 am »

My first semi-serious El Dorado playthrough. Ichma is (was) a OPM theocracy based in Lima. Fully reformed Inti faith, westernised, all provinces are my religion and culture.

Inti is pretty decent religion even before reforming. The ticking automacy is great as is the tolerance of the true faith (here you can see a nice +8). The major downside is the lack of both missionaries and missionary strength since pagans lack any good religious decisions and can't take DotF (would be nice if reforming a religion let you have DotF). Considered taking down Rome or Mecca for the free missionary but I've done that enough times in my various playthroughs.

Playing in the new world is both stupidly easy and tedious. Milking Euros for colonies every few years gets pretty boring fast. I formed Inca for a day to get the Sun God achievement then I crashed the game before it auto-saved because their flag and colour are gross.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 216