Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461333 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1545 on: July 31, 2014, 08:42:27 pm »

Please tell me "Tang" is orange.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: July 31, 2014, 10:25:47 pm »

I am so glad I got the mod that reverts the AE to 1.6.1 levels.

I can now actually attack people without every country and their mothers forming a coalition against me.
Just defeat somebody and become their protectorate. Instant 100% coalition immunity! Totally balanced by the inability to create vassals (but you can still full annex) and join alliances... but who needs alliances, when you've broken the main anti-player mechanic?
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: July 31, 2014, 10:33:42 pm »

can still have vassals via annex -> release

remember to stack some modifiers after ae though, otherwise it'll stick around

* LordSlowpoke watches ddrjake's stream

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: August 01, 2014, 03:08:56 am »

* Sergarr watches ddrjake's stream too

I wonder how the greatest balancer of all times, Johan, will fix the protectorate exploit?
._.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: August 01, 2014, 03:26:35 am »

By just getting rid of protectorates altogether?
It was introduced to stop player vassal feeding expansion. Now that vassal feeding has been nerfed to hell and back, vassal incomes extremely reduced and finally the ability to force nations to give you trade power I see no reason why there are protectorates. Merely slap on a diplo-vassalise malus for differing tech group and let vassals be vassals.

Have any of you actually got any use out of a protectorate (apart from the recent anti-coalition cheese)? I never once bothered with them since they're so incredibly useless. A bit of trade power which usually amounts to nothing now that you can just get a couple trade companies/lightships and completely dominate trade.

Also offtopic my graphics card blew up so I'm stuck with onboard, no EU4 (or anything really) for a long while. Couldn't have happened at a worse time, broke and about to finish up a Friesland-Netherlands achievement run (was going so well, managed to keep the filthy Iberian colonist cheaters completely out of Africa and beyond). >:(

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: August 02, 2014, 01:12:12 am »

I thought protectorates were specially made for the European countries who were dipping into the eastern lands.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: August 02, 2014, 01:38:26 am »

If I remember my EU4 history (all the patches tend to blur together after awhile) protectorates were added quite early to the game in around 1.2/1.3. This was before the major nerf to vassal feeding where the AI would only buy provinces under extremely strict conditions (1.6 would further nerf vassal feeding to hell and back with the ticking diplocost to annex).

Protectorates were the first attempt to discourage vassal feeding since at release you could just vassalise some backwater OPM (like Kochin) and then feed them the whole continent and diploannex them at almost no cost. Of course since it's Paradox the mechanic was half-arsed, buggy and poorly executed, only stopping Western tech vassal feeding outside most of Europe while other tech groups (like Ottomans/Eastern) still ran rampant.
Protectorates need a major overhaul since their intended purpose has already been filled by better, less buggy features and since their only current use is for finishing world conquests.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: August 02, 2014, 03:56:44 am »

Actually, from my memory, I think Protectorates were added around WoN. I don't really remember them existing in 1.4.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: August 02, 2014, 04:13:19 am »

Decided to look it up. Protectorates were added in patch 1.4(CoP) while the big nerfs to vassal feeding were 1.5/1.6(WoN) (although 1.3 did slow down diploannex rates for overseas vassals and would likely be regarded as the first attempt to nerf vassal feeding expansion).

I'm not even sure what point I was trying to make anymore apart from protectorates sucking plump helmets.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: August 02, 2014, 08:06:45 am »

Currently playing Gelre --> Netherlands  --> Colonial power with all the add-ons and DLCs. At the moment building my 4th colony in the Caribbean and the majority of Western European trade flows into Antwerp to be taxed by me for lots and lots of ducats. Over 80 trade ships. So much fun with the Dutch Republic stuff, new trade stuff and being a tiny country... And the French fools are my ally.  :P

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: August 04, 2014, 08:36:03 am »

ddr streaming ryukyu soon

and that's over

not much was achieved i guess
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:22:30 pm by LordSlowpoke »

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #1556 on: August 04, 2014, 12:29:46 pm »

I playad as Ming and that penalty they get for everything ruined me completely. Neighbouring small nations utterly smashed my 3x larger armies because of their more advanced tech. I probably should have paid more attention to that faction gameplay, I just had bureacrauts 100% the whole time and didnt think about it. The game doesnt really say what concrete effects the factions have, as what the bonus percentages are and so on. I'd really prefer the game telling those explicitly and not having to google around about them. Gotta restart over...
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: August 04, 2014, 03:07:20 pm »

The game does tell you the modifiers, you just have to do some math to figure out how it works out. So Mandate of Heaven or whatever the modifier the Ming gets might give you -75%, then one faction might give you +50%.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: August 05, 2014, 04:27:50 am »

If you're at war have the Temple faction in power. At peace have the Eunuchs in power for the tech and advisor discount. When you're on the verge of losing the mandate of heaven elect the Bureaucrats. Never ever lose the mandate of heaven.

That's all you need to know about Ming's faction system.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:30:36 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #1559 on: August 05, 2014, 06:10:23 am »

Thanks for the help. I checked one ming lets play and noticed I had totally missed that you can hover over the icons for the bonuses the factions give. Also boosting them. Quess I'm blind. :)
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 216