Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461410 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1395 on: July 09, 2014, 06:48:38 am »

Is there any use for colonists after you've colonized the areas you want to?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 09, 2014, 07:34:08 am »

No. Unlike EU3 colonists can only be used for colonising.

That said with the new trade company system in WoN you might as well go wild with colonies just so you have a chance at getting some bonus merchants. It's ridiculously easy to get 50% trade income if you're not competeing against other colonisers.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:36:12 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 09, 2014, 11:46:51 am »

Ugh, Japan has it hard colonizing the new world.You need 11 diplo tech and Spain is already there even though I rushed QftNW and vassalized the Aztecs early.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 09, 2014, 12:53:12 pm »

Are you going through Alaska, Hawaii, or the South Pacific? I think Alaska is shortest, and not as slow to complete as tropical provinces.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 09, 2014, 07:59:42 pm »

Yeah IM going through Alaska, aleut to be exact. It is indeed the shortest route but I need diplotech 11 and the colonize range increase idea to get to it.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: July 09, 2014, 09:48:35 pm »

The navigator advisor's bonus may work, but 20% won't do much while the base value is low. I remember in EU3 doing crazy stuff as Japan like colonizing all of the American coasts before the Eurotrash shows up, but with a later start date, fleet basing changes, and Castile/Portugal's starting position, I doubt it's still doable. But hey, at least you get all those insane colonies in the Philippines.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 09, 2014, 10:36:21 pm »

I think you can only core provinces within your colonial range though, so invading a place won't actually boost your range if it's low.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 10, 2014, 12:22:24 am »

Yep, you can't even annex a vassal unless they are within your colonization range. And the way it's looking, it's going to take over 100 years for the Aztecs to accept annexation (aggressive expansion).

However, I took a bite out of Ming, and I think I can solo them now..... That is.... if I can get through the crippling overextension I didn't realize I was building (and from only 4 damn provinces too)

Also, those tropical colonies are !!INSANE!!. The amount of time it takes to colonize one of them takes about 3 times as much as a normal one, and it even dares to give me an event before it's finished where one of the choices is (lose 1000 population and do it all over)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: July 11, 2014, 02:51:07 pm »

None of the other tech groups really fall too far behind Western in unit stats, except for central asian Nomads. I think by end game the gap is at most ~4 pips.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 11, 2014, 04:45:16 pm »

You realise that you can annex a country if they're small enough and you get 100% warscore, right?

You annex them, then you can colonise an adjacent province, then you have a core in that province and can core the place you annexed (or release them as vassals if you want)

Makes it so you don't have to wait for colonial range to increase, since you already have a colony there.

And, Micro, the Native American nations (Iroquois, for example) tend to be very small when you first head over there.

Anyways, different stuff: Is there a mod which makes it so that when you westernise you get western tech units? I want to play as shoshone or somesuch, but by the time I've westernised, the European powers will have units much more powerful than mine (seeing as I'll have probably peaked.)

I find it odd that they would allow you to war-annex a country outside your colonization range but not allow you to diplo-annex a country outside your colonization range. I understand that they had an update for colonization and am wondering if you can actually annex natives outside your colonization range anymore.

Also, is there a way to get rid of aggressive expansion quickly? I have like,-300 relations because of it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 12, 2014, 02:35:44 am »

I will note, though, that there are plenty of ways to mod the AE values, including the decay. If you cannot handle or do not want to deal with what absurd values Paradox has set, then you can easily edit them for yourself.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 12, 2014, 09:58:02 am »

Also, those tropical colonies are !!INSANE!!. The amount of time it takes to colonize one of them takes about 3 times as much as a normal one, and it even dares to me an event before it's finished where one of the choices is (lose 1000 population and do it all over)
Tropical colonies are fine, what's ridiculous is how the AI gets no effect from natives. They'll colonize places like Madagascar with no troop presence and never have a single uprising.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 12, 2014, 10:43:21 am »

So I finally managed to get myself elected Emperor as Prussia (It's 1570). Any tips?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 12, 2014, 10:56:31 am »

grab some french, polish, etc. provinces

force tiny tiny imperial minors to take them from you

get infinite imperial authority from defending said minors from having their stolen land stolen

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 12, 2014, 02:38:23 pm »

Or maybe even have someone on the team who wants to make AI that works ;c
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 216