Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravans -- do they only spawn on a depot-accessible path?  (Read 1054 times)

AndreaReina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravans -- do they only spawn on a depot-accessible path?
« on: August 10, 2012, 03:37:42 am »

I hope this hasn't been answered somewhere, I did a search but didn't find anything.

Like it says on the tin, will trade caravans only spawn where there's a path to the depot? So if I carved my embark area into a U-shaped valley like so (green=original ground level, yellow=-1 z-level, red=-2 z-levels):
#########
#########
#########
#########
#########
#DDFFF###
#DDFFF###
#########
#########

and removed up-ramps so that they're only 1 tile wide (thus impassable to wagons), would that force the caravan to spawn at the northern edge of the map? What about elf caravans, does the fact that they don't have wagons change their spawning behavior, or do they follow the same rules?

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravans -- do they only spawn on a depot-accessible path?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 03:52:06 am »

If there is only one 3x3 spot on the edge of the map for wagons to spawn, that is where they will spawn, so long as the trade depot is accessible. Diplomats, traders with pack animals, etc, will spawn wherever.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:43:05 am »

Diplomats, traders with pack animals, etc, will spawn wherever.
Not true - caravans will always prefer to spawn at a wagon-accessible location even if they don't have wagons (i.e. Elves). However, caravans won't necessarily spawn at any wagon-accessible location - it needs to be accessible to their civlization as well, so if your embark region is bisected by a river you might need to make sure you've got a wagon entry point on each side.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:22:09 am »

Diplomats, traders with pack animals, etc, will spawn wherever.
Not true - caravans will always prefer to spawn at a wagon-accessible location even if they don't have wagons (i.e. Elves). However, caravans won't necessarily spawn at any wagon-accessible location - it needs to be accessible to their civlization as well, so if your embark region is bisected by a river you might need to make sure you've got a wagon entry point on each side.

I've had the pack animals spawn some way away from my only wagon accessible point. Still, very close by, so it's not a random "anywhere"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 10:06:29 am »

If that's the case, then something major changed between 0.31.25 and 0.34 with regards to caravan arrival behavior...
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

AndreaReina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 10:47:01 am »

Is there a way to check whether a spot is accessible to the civilization? I'd like to run a road to the traders will actually use, though I understand I better have an army first as it will count towards wealth and therefore siege bait.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:56:44 am »

If that's the case, then something major changed between 0.31.25 and 0.34 with regards to caravan arrival behavior...

might be. Mostly in 34.07 I've had the pack animals and wagons spawn at close, but not a the same point quite regularly. The distnace was small, 6 to 11 squares at most, but I'm pretty sure I remember this correctly
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 12:01:51 pm »

Is there a way to check whether a spot is accessible to the civilization? I'd like to run a road to the traders will actually use, though I understand I better have an army first as it will count towards wealth and therefore siege bait.
I believe the key to check for trade access is shift+d

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 01:16:57 pm »

I believe the key to check for trade access is shift+d
No, that only tells you which squares are wagon-accessible from your trade depot.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 05:19:57 pm »

Agreed. even if you build a bridge across the river, they seem to only spawn in a single location. I built a bridge across a canyon and found they wouldn't spawn where it was accessible, so I built the bridge, and then they spawned in the same spot, and went across and around.

AndreaReina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 04:44:31 am »

Good to know. It'll be some time before the fortress is ready to do major earthworks on the exterior so I'll have time to see where they show up.