Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting up a Dwarven Day Care Center  (Read 1770 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Setting up a Dwarven Day Care Center
« on: August 09, 2012, 05:54:58 am »

For those of you familiar with the concept, how large should the room be so that dogs keep scrathing the kids? Would stuffing 10 kids and 2 dogs in a 1x1 box work just as fine as just one kid and one dog? Also, will the kids get hurt if I dump food and booze into the pit?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Setting up a Dwarven Day Care Center
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:42:26 am »

The kids will fight to the death if you put them all in one grave. Which might be what you want to happen, you never know.

Anyways you probably need a separate feeding zone to keep them alive now, unless you want to risk barrel dropping related injuries, but for optimal childcare you should have a 1x1 cell for each pair of child and puppy.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:40:31 am »

Ok, thanks. How should I make the feeding area? I was thinking of a simple door separating the actual box from another box with food in it. Also, any tips for keeping the little buggers sane until they grow up eventually?

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 12:55:30 pm »

The kids will fight to the death if you put them all in one grave. Which might be what you want to happen, you never know.

The Hunger Booze Games!
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 04:39:20 am »

:D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 05:52:55 am »

Ok, thanks. How should I make the feeding area? I was thinking of a simple door separating the actual box from another box with food in it.

Sounds good

Also, any tips for keeping the little buggers sane until they grow up eventually?

~o,o~

Just try not to push them below very unhappy?

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 06:50:59 am »

So, no statues etc needed?

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 10:06:41 am »

Awww nuts, turns out kids don't respect burrows. I guess I'll have to expand the chamber a bit, so that it holds a bed. Then once the child goes to take a nap, I lock the door behind him/her. Should I use a cougar instead of a dog?

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 03:32:26 pm »

Awww nuts, turns out kids don't respect burrows. I guess I'll have to expand the chamber a bit, so that it holds a bed. Then once the child goes to take a nap, I lock the door behind him/her. Should I use a cougar instead of a dog?

I've had weird luck with children and burrows. I put about 5 children in a burrow on standing on a minecart track which 1 out of the 5 did... and was promptly ran over. Another child was walking into the room at the same time and the one child bounced off the track into the other child in a fabulous pool game shot.

So yes sometimes children do respect burrows, but not always. You'll have better luck with the bed idea.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 06:10:27 am »

Finally got the kid trapped and a huge food stock set up for him(quantum stockpile). I dropped in a gibbon and 5 puppies but they won't fight. They are all on the same tile.