Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Issues with importing save from XP system to Windows 7  (Read 682 times)

Nightcaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Issues with importing save from XP system to Windows 7
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:40:15 pm »

Hey there, so I'm staying with family for a bit, and uploaded my save to a mobile solution. I threw all of the files in to a save folder I've made inside the new DF installation after fixing the Program Files issue with Windows 7 v.s. DF.

It doesn't even register the world's existence. It asks to create a new world, and after that, and pressing Accept, the game crashes.

Is this an operating system issue of any sort, or have I rather done something wrong in the importation process? I'm eager to play my save, as it's quite a boring stay here, and I want to bite elf's toes, ears and noses off. :(

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with importing save from XP system to Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:42:10 pm »

It sounds like a UAC issue. If you copied everything to Program Files on Windows 7, you're going to run into that unless you take steps to avoid it or install it in one of your user folders instead.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Nightcaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:56:21 pm »

It sounds like a UAC issue. If you copied everything to Program Files on Windows 7, you're going to run into that unless you take steps to avoid it or install it in one of your user folders instead.

I have extracted the Dwarf Fortress files outside of the Program Files directories to counteract it, as I have had issues with starting the game when I did that. So I'm sure that isn't the issue.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 10:59:41 pm »

So just to be clear:

It's extracted to a folder you own as the user (so not Program Files, or Windows, or the root of the drive or anything like that) and the region folders appear to show up in /data/save under the directory you extracted it to?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Nightcaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:01:27 pm »

So just to be clear:

It's extracted to a folder you own as the user (so not Program Files, or Windows, or the root of the drive or anything like that) and the region folders appear to show up in /data/save under the directory you extracted it to?

I have made a new folder in the root drive, called 'Dwarf Fortress' in which I have extracted the game files to. I put the region folder under data/save there. They show up fine, but the game does not recognize that they exist.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:07:38 pm »

That could be your problem. As a user, you might not have gained ownership of the new folder when placing it in the root of the drive. I'm not sure why that would happen, but I suppose it's possible, especially if the region folders are in fact in <DF folder>/data/save where they should be.

Nightcaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 11:10:12 pm »

That could be your problem. As a user, you might not have gained ownership of the new folder when placing it in the root of the drive. I'm not sure why that would happen, but I suppose it's possible, especially if the region folders are in fact in <DF folder>/data/save where they should be.

I think it might be fixed. I genned a new world, made an adventurer on it, and then deleted that save. I then put in my exported save, and it works. Does this mean that there are files generated outside of the specific region folders that I will need to take with me to make the game work?

Edit: Of note, I have read the wiki guides on save importing/exporting, and my method should have worked fine. This must mean that outside files are generated and necessary to make the saves work, which appear to be made by making a new world and adventurer first, and then using my save.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:11:26 pm »

There definitely shouldn't be, no. All you should need are the region folders in /data/save.

Nightcaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 11:14:23 pm »

How peculiar, then. Hopefully I may come up with my own answer for it, or someone else may know and leave a reply here. It's struck me curious now.  ???