Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why are some of my dwarves hunting without the Hunting labor turned on?  (Read 1726 times)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some of them have "Hunt" as their current task, but do not have the Hunting labor turned on.

I've seen this a few times before in 34.11.  Is this a known bug?

If it matters, they don't seem to show signs of being vampires.

I do NOT want them hunting, because I don't want to deplete the zone of wildlife.  I much prefer only having one dwarf hunting at a time.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are some of my dwarves hunting without the Hunting labor turned on?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:16:01 pm »

The only time I've seen a dwarf hunt when it wasn't on their labour options, they were hunting vermin because the fort was out of food (that was a while ago, though; v31.04).  Can you verify that you have reachable food options for them, and/or confirm that the dwarves are hunting with a crossbow?

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 07:28:48 pm »

They have plenty of reachable food.  It's in a normal food stockpile with no unusual settings.  There is a civilian burrow that I use during sieges/some ambushes, but they aren't huddling in said burrow at the moment...

My burrow does contain the dining hall and one of my food stockpiles, though.

Also, yeah, hunting with crossbows.  It seems to be someone with (Novice) Marksdwarf skill.  His listed profession is 'Surgeon' and, while he's drinking at the moment, he still has his crossbow equipped.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:38:45 am »

listed profession is different from the labors being turned on. The listed one is whatever he is most skilled in, completely independent of what labors are turned on for him, ie what he is allowed to do.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 06:45:52 am »

If the dwarf was already hunting at the time you turned off the labor, he'll keep performing that job for a while (typically until he kills whatever he's hunting, or runs out of ammo, or gets injured enough to Rest).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 07:10:13 pm »

Some of them have "Hunt" as their current task, but do not have the Hunting labor turned on.
[....]
If it matters, they don't seem to show signs of being vampires.
"On Break" is what you need to look out for, not in the usual teal colour but in the cyan that regular jobs have.

If I recall correctly, drafting a dwarf and giving them a direct order will interrupt the Hunt job, and if they turned up with Hunting enabled they should have enough military skill to not be classed as a recruit.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 12:13:59 am »

Don't worry about depleting the zone of wildlife.  Vermin type fish have that problem; genuine animals (including larger fish), not so much.  Sometimes more of the same seems to spawn right as you kill something, in response.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 02:17:03 am »

Sometimes it seems like they just have to kill the animal they currently are trying to stalk before they stop hunting, and turning hunting off has no effect until then.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 06:00:13 pm »

Don't worry about depleting the zone of wildlife.  Vermin type fish have that problem; genuine animals (including larger fish), not so much.
I beg to differ - large animal populations are just as limited as vermin fish, and it's very much possible to hunt a biome to extinction (unless Toady explicitly fixed that in version 0.34).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 11:12:22 pm »

I thought large animals bred...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 01:50:51 am »

They only breed while at your fortress.  Otherwise, it's as Quietust said (as it pretty much always is).  The [POPULATION_NUMBER:X:Y] tag in a creature's raws apparently dictates how many of them per world map tile you'll encounter before they quit coming forever.  This gets a bit complicated for most to see as a lot of players position their fortress so that it straddles several biomes in an attempt to maximize mineral diversity and so the numbers of how many creatures might come and the variety of creature possibilities really creates the illusion of infinite animals.  Couple this with average fort survival time, and most players don't ever really see the point when nothing wanders onto the map.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 02:13:40 am »

I'm thinking either I ran into a glitch during the rhino war, or the rhinoceros has a monstrously huge population limit, then.  They just would not stop coming.  I'd kill 3 and 5 more would turn up. So I'd kill all of 'em and here's 10 new rhinos.  On and on for years, it was ridiculous.

Which file contains the rhinoceros entry, anyway?  I'm looking at the numbers on the wiki and that definitely mismatches my own experience, I'd like to get a look direct at the file my game is pulling rhino info from.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 02:28:42 am by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 03:18:35 am »

Rhinos are in the creature_large_tropical file, somewhere under all the gibbons, but the information is the same as in the wiki.  They have [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30], so if your fort was on four applicable biomes (tropical grassland/savannah/shrubland), then you could have as many as 120 rhinos enter onto your map.  If you had the standard 4x4 map size all on these biomes, then you could encounter up to 480 of them coming at you in groups of 3-7 at a time, which would be about 96 waves of them (although an average of their populations would put this at 72 groups of incoming rhinos).  Does that sound more appropriate for your rhino-dwarven war?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 03:25:39 am »

That does sound a bit more like it, and apparently I missed the word "tile" in "world map tile" before.  So what does the 15 mean in that [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30], anyway?

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 03:29:05 am »

That would be the lower number.  For each appropriate world map tile, you wouldn't find any less than 15 rhinos (until you kill them all).  Not sure if killing them in adventure mode permanently reduces them if you later play in fort mode; I've been hearing conflicting information on this sort of thing.
Pages: [1] 2