Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Easiest way to dispose of migrants  (Read 2763 times)

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Easiest way to dispose of migrants
« on: August 07, 2012, 01:49:22 pm »

(Hi folks, several years lurker, first post)

I'm working to keep my pop cap down around 150, and I've already got more than enough children in the fort to grow into that and then some, so I dug a flooding chamber near my river to "Welcome" any migration waves.  Pump out the water, put the bodies in coffins in the next room, and collect all their clothes and what-not.  This works well enough, except for the fact that each migration wave I end up going through the burrow process for each and every immigrant and their children, and despite having DF handy, this is dang tedious.  Add to the frustration that burrow commands just aren't always heeded immediately, and I end up with thirsty migrants straying out of the chamber while I wait on Urist McSlacker.

MAGMA would be fine too, if I could keep them corralled easily, except then I have to engrave slabs for them all, and I don't get their clothes.

How do you guys dispose of migrant waves?  I'm most interested in how you attract them to whichever Welcoming Device you have prepared with reliability.

Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Easiest way to dispose of migrants
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 01:56:17 pm »

Make a legendary dining room / booze hall / statue garden for them to be burrowed into.
Once they are ecstatic, atom smash them.

By killing them all in ecstasy, their ghosts will be harmless so you do not need any coffins or slabs.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 02:01:08 pm »

I accidentally my whole migrant wave. After firing my golry device, a resevoir fed by an aquifer and laced with god knows what by now, the outside is so tainted, that to even breath the air is to invite death. They collapsed before they even got to the fort, and spent the next few months choking on their own blood.

Easiest is probably atomsmashing.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 02:01:57 pm »

Make a legendary dining room / booze hall / statue garden for them to be burrowed into.
Once they are ecstatic, atom smash them.

By killing them all in ecstasy, their ghosts will be harmless so you do not need any coffins or slabs.

I'm cool with the coffins.  I just dread going through the burrowing process every time a new wave arrives.  Is it possible to PIT a dwarf?

Bonus: What happens if you atom-smash an occupied coffin with a dwarf at rest in it?
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 02:03:45 pm »

Turn on masonry, farming, recruit them into the military and make them functioning members of society?

Otherwise magma.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 02:21:30 pm »

Turn on masonry, farming, recruit them into the military and make them functioning members of society?

Nah they would all be a drag on my food and FPS.  I have plenty of farmers and all my haulers are already masons.

Otherwise magma.

Indeed!  What's your suggestion without having to mess with burrows?  (Or burning the whole topside to ashes, I can't have that quite yet.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 02:24:32 pm »

Make a death squad. And by that I mean a squad that mysteriously happens to have a station order over a bridge. Overhanging over a magma pit. Never cancel the order and the Dwarves should walk to the bridge as soon as they are put into the squad, give the squad a naked uniform set to replace and you can even harvest their clothes and other tidbits

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 03:26:32 pm »

Why dispose of them?

Just give them weapons and armor, and march them off to the front lines. You can never have enough marksdwarves. More dakka solves every problem. If it the problem isn't solved, then you obviously didn't use enough dakka.

Also you can never have enough haulers. A single legendary+5 dwarf may need 20 haulers or unskilled laborers just to keep up with him.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 03:32:04 pm »

The ungodly amount of time spent on creating an elaborate way to prevent FPS death might as well be used to earn the money needed to procure a processor of sufficient strength to run the late game at an acceptable speed. :P

By the way, isn't there a bug which makes it so that atom smashed objects aren't unloaded from the memory?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 03:54:11 pm »

Why dispose of them?

Most of my forts don't die from external slaughter, they die from FPS lag and dorf explosions / chaos.

Plus, I kind of want to treat the hordes of migrants as my clothes industry.  Eventually having a gigantic set of halls and rooms lined with row after row of glass coffins full of immigrants... like the catacombs of Paris... that's what I'm after.  I'm just trying to make the process easier, since burrows are just wonky IMO.

Too bad burrows aren't incorporated into DT!  That's an option I would pay for.  Go in and lay out all your burrows once, then assign/remove dorfs from DT.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 04:18:19 pm »

The ungodly amount of time spent on creating an elaborate way to prevent FPS death might as well be used to earn the money needed to procure a processor of sufficient strength to run the late game at an acceptable speed. :P

Incidentally, since DF is mainly single-threaded a more expensive processor will generally run a slower fort.  Anything multicore will generally be inferior to an old single core machine.  The key here is that if you have a single 2GHz core then DF has (most) of that 2GHz to work with.  If you have a marvelous hexacore monstrosity, well DF is probably looking at 600-800MHz best as it can never properly use more than 1 core. There may be some graphics work dumped to GPU's but the heavyweight pathing and temp calcs are all gonna be on one core.

The upshot of this is that the very best DF rigs cost considerably less than a 'gaming' rig.  And that old serverbox lurking in the basement probably runs it like greased lightning.  Food for thought...

On the OP topic I have a statue garden on the surface which migrants flock to.  The only micromanagement involved is the pulling of a lever when migrants arrive which blocks other meetinghall/statue gardens from them and makes this one reachable.  Once they arrive I pull the lever again, reopening my general fort and conveniently trapping said migrants in the statue garden.  No 'useful' dwarves ever gather at this garden since it is only accessible when said lever is pulled to block the rest.

The statues are all steel, so i magma bath it once its 'loaded' with migrants, drain and poof.  Nobody saw nuthin.  Does lose you the clothes, but replace with yer drowning and coffins if you see fit.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 04:44:31 pm »

That's not how multi-core CPUs work.
A quad core 3ghz CPU has four 3GHz CPUs inside it.
The more modern the CPU is the more it can do on one cycle. As an example, one core of my 3570k 3.4GHz quad core CPU can do about twice what one core of an old celeron 3.3GHz CPU can do, despite almost the same clock speed. All four cores can do eight times as much of course.

Your best bet is the newest, fastest, Intel CPU you can find, overclocked.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 04:53:09 pm »

Close off the surface of your fort so the new migrants can't get in, nor current dwarves get out. Build a side chamber of your fort designated as a meeting hall, able to be flooded with magma. Seal off your fort and unlock the doors to the meeting hall. The migrants will all congregate there. Lock them all in, then apply magma.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 04:56:23 pm »

On the performance thing, I use my i7 990x, shut down all cores but two, and overclock those two. Lets me overclock it much more than normal, and works great for DF. I hardly ever use it though anymore - not worth the effort. I play DF on my laptop.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 05:05:09 pm »

Welcome to the 1% then!  :D

Pages: [1] 2