Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Armored archers vs goblin bowmen  (Read 3292 times)

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armored archers vs goblin bowmen
« on: August 07, 2012, 12:37:11 pm »

A high skill crossbowdwarf can go around headshotting goblins no problem but when a bowgoblin shoots back he goes down as fast as anyone with a leather armor. I was thinking to equip them with metal to increase their efficiency in range to range combat but first i need to get their strength and armor user to a respectable level because i fear the full metal set will reduce their combat/shooting speed, the question however is how do i do that? I currently removed their weapons to transform them into a wrestler squad and set them to train, now what i want to know is:

-do they get more armor user the more armor pieces they wear?
-does armor being from leather or metal make any difference regarding gaining armor user skill?
-is wrestling the best way for them to get armor user? I only put wrestling because i don't want to create new weapons for them.
-i noticed my high skill melee dwarfs have really good stats, probably because sparring trains more skills at once that any other activity (weapon skill,shield,armor,dodge,fighter and a little of wrestling), since unarmed combat is actually made of many skills (kicker,striker,wrestler maybe biter) will wrestling have the same effect on stats?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:20:55 pm by Fortress Calling »

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
Re: Armored archers vs goblin bowmen
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 01:08:52 pm »

I believe that dwarves get armor user experience when the armor is what deflects the attack. Therefore sparring with no buckler might be your best bet because then the armor will deflect a lot of shots. More armor is good because it will stop more attacks, but I don't think you get bonus xp for wearing lots of items (haven't tested just presuming).

I would train them just like any of your other squads. You want dodge, block, and armor skill. I don't see why you would want them to wrestle. Just leave the crossbow equipped and it is treated like a hammer for melee purposes.

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 01:43:22 pm »

I believe that dwarves get armor user experience when the armor is what deflects the attack

I've read dozens of sparring reports and attacks are either parried/blocked or "lightly taps the target", not a single case of armor deflecting an attack or dodge. My legendary axedwarf who sparred his whole life has only skilled armor user and i'm afraid he got that from fighting actual goblins not sparring. Same with dodge.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:46:44 pm »

Armor user reduces the weight of the armor, so the dwarf will be slowed down less by wearing heavy armor.

If you pile on the steel armor you can create a very durable yet slow dwarf. Sure, he's a juggernaut covered with heaps of steel and nigh indestructible, but he moves like a turtle.

This might be an issue for melee dwarves, but for ranged dwarves it isn't as important. Even a completely unskilled recruit can simply rely on how thick their armor is to save them, or at least make an injury be non-lethal so they can be patched up after the battle. Marksdwarves generally don't move during combat, so their movement speed really doesn't matter much.

Sparring does increase skills very rapidly. Marksdwarves will never spar, but they will teach each other skills at a slower pace.

Danger rooms work just as well with marksdwarves as they do with melee dwarves. If you want you can toss them into a danger room.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 02:06:24 pm »

I believe that dwarves get armor user experience when the armor is what deflects the attack. Therefore sparring with no buckler might be your best bet because then the armor will deflect a lot of shots.
Eh? But a Dwarf'll be able to use that shield user skill to block almost anything, it's a skill worth having

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 02:14:06 pm »

If you pile on the steel armor you can create a very durable yet slow dwarf.
Fun fact, with enough armor your dwarf can survive a fall by DEFLECTING THE GROUND.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

wolfwood296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 02:23:13 pm »

Fun fact, with enough armor your dwarf can survive a fall by DEFLECTING THE GROUND.

"the axlord slams into the obstical but it deflected by steel helm
I've asked Uristeamer to begin investigating his duck's ability to eat a fully grown dwarf.- quote from broseph stalin

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 02:35:20 pm »

Too bad we don't have swordchucks.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 03:12:35 pm »

Eh? But a Dwarf'll be able to use that shield user skill to block almost anything, it's a skill worth having
He asked how to train armor user. I presumed it would train faster if they didn't block or parry anything.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 03:40:56 pm »

He asked how to train armor user. I presumed it would train faster if they didn't block or parry anything.
Doesn't mean you can't go above and beyond :P

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 05:07:44 pm »

Sounds like a dwarf version of a "in soviet Russia" joke
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 05:33:48 pm »

In my current fort I have the same armor for all of my soldiers: a full suit of steel and a shield.  That includes marksdwarves.  I've had pretty good success with it so far, none of the marksdwarves have died despite an unfortunate number of melee dwarf deaths.  Even when arrows and bolts are flying the marksdwarves survive just fine.

One thing you might want to consider though, is until the next release wearing heavy armor slows them down which in turn also slows down their attack rate.  I haven't tested this, but logically that should extend to ranged attacks as well.  So wearing a lot of steel armor will make them shoot slower.

Of course they'll probably still run out of bolts by the time a siege is over, so it might not be a big deal.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 05:39:02 pm »

Danger rooms work.  Your dwarf will gain armor user and dodger that way, as well as shield user and hammerdwarf/fighter when he parries with his crossbow.  All-in-all good for stat increases. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 07:27:38 pm »

I'd rather take highly survivable but slower firing dwarves than a bunch of glass cannons. The dwarves will also speed up through gaining experience, so being slow is only a limiting factor at first.

My legendary+5 melee guys are zooming around even wearing extremely heavy armor. A new recruit puts on the same armor and he's moving around as if he's hauling a stone. The armor probably weighs about as much as a boulder. I wouldn't be surprised if the full armor kit was pushing 250 urists of weight or even more.

That is one of the benefits of crossbows. Sure, they're slow. But its not like they need to move.  :D

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 07:55:14 pm »

I thought Armour User was trained by just walking around? I suppose that's easily tested in Adventurer mode.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: [1] 2