Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Your most useless job  (Read 11806 times)

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
Re: Your most useless job
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 05:48:39 pm »

Beekeping, woodcrafting and anything fishing-related.

I'm still traumatized by carps.

Glad to see I'm not the only one running old habits of keeping dwarves away from the water.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 05:49:35 pm »

Brewing. I never have brewers, I exist off of either water or caravans.

But then again, I play as kobolds/humans so booze is worthless to me.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 08:54:21 pm »

Depending on the embark, there can be quite a few useless dwarves that then become haulers/makeshift masons for me.
    Bowyers: I've started experimenting with bringing Competent Weaponsmiths on embark, as well as digging straight down for magma, which then renders good bowyers rather useless for me. Combine that with my preference for heavy metal crossbows, and bowyers become even more redundant for me.
    Woodcrafters: Wood is precious on whatever embark I get, so no wasting wood on crafts for me.
    Milkers, Cheesemakers, Spinners, Shearers: I tend to forget these guys even exist, given that I don't do a lot of milking, cheesemaking, yarn spinning or shearing in the first place. Food is supplied by butchering my crundle/poultry population, and thread/cloth is supplied by my farms.
    Jewelers of both types: Not really into the whole gem cutting/gem encrusting business, as most of my fort income is from stuff other than gems. Sure, I'll gladly accept gemworkers and put up a shop for them to provide moody dwarves with their gems, but other than that? Nah.
HUNTERS
You've gotta be kidding. Hunters make the best makeshift marksdwarves. Granted, they annoy the crap out of most people when you breach the caverns and they try to kill all the cavern creatures, but they're useful. The Hunters' Guild will have a representative speak to you shortly.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 09:07:18 pm »

Potash makers Absolutely useless I have never once used potash.
Glazers I very rarely have cause to use glazes.
Cheese makers without quality modifiers any garbage dwarf can be a cheese maker.
bee keepers It's impossible to provide rations for even a single dwarf off of beekeeping.
wax workers wax is next to useless and hard to come by.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 09:19:41 pm »

Strand Extractors. I rarely have a fort survive to the point I need them, or I end up not even needing much military. Just to fend off the wild animals.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 10:08:11 pm »

MotherF***ing Siege engineers. I hav never, and probably never will, need more then one, if that, So three just makes me mad,
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 12:31:04 am »

Animal Caretakers, hands down.  It doesn't do anything at all and yet I still get several ranger types in each immigration wave that have the skill.  Just cause Mountainhome don't want them doesn't mean I want them either.

Next are the dissectors.  Totally useless pair of occupations, but at least they can actually do something, even if it's a complete waste of time.  Also glazers, only needed to make pottery watertight, which is never needed because all that stuff can already be made of stone and glass, and if there's good access to fire clay then stoneware is already watertight and more valuable to boot.  Trappers are also near the bottom of the barrel.

They're followed by siege engineers.  I've never really gotten around to using siege engines, because of the whole only hits things on the same z-level issue.  And siege operators from what I hear start cancelling jobs when they see enemies which kind of make them less useful.  Bowyers have them tied, only useful if I need to crank out a lot of crossbows and I have better access to wood than metal.  Pump Operators aren't really that good either, since I have the skill on my entire melee militia for strength training.  I don't need dedicated pumpers. 

Which brings us to useless farmers.  Beekeeping is mediocre, I'll eventually get around to having a single beekeeper, but that is only once all the essential industries are staffed properly and running smoothly.  Waxworking simply gets enabled on my normal crafters.  Pressing is kind of crap too, it seldom gets used.  Milking, cheesemaking, shearing and spinning are moderately useful, but I combine those on a single dwarf since none of them have enough labor for a dwarf to specialize completely in them.  Potash, lye and soap making also gets assigned to a single dwarf, since they're occasionally needed but are low-volume industries.

Just about everything else gets used in the fort.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 12:49:50 am »

Fish dissector.
All fishing-related joba are more or less useless, but dissector takes the cake for not producing anything edible.
I'm not too big on beekeepers or wax workers either, since beekeeping still seems to be borked somehow. (At least I've never been able to actually press honey from honeycombs despite having multiple split-ready hives with gathering enabled.)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 03:05:56 am »

Granted, you can do both with gem windows, but you'll need an awful lot of gems for a 60 bedroom complex.
Rock cabochons

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 03:38:37 am »

My useless jobs...:
 Animal caretaker, they're doing nothing.
 Dissectors...
 Hunter may be useful, but they can die too easy.
 Glazers, I never used them.
 Cheesemakers, shearers, milkers - waiting and spamimng with commands until time, when animals can again give milk or yarn. Maybe I need a manager for this?
 Siege operators... Why you are civilians!?
 Trappers...
 Woodcrafters. I use them on forested terrain only, if I need some woodden bolts, but usually I use bone.
 NOBLES.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 08:17:32 am »

Granted, you can do both with gem windows, but you'll need an awful lot of gems for a 60 bedroom complex.
Rock cabochons
Windows made from rocks? My admiration for the dwarves is becoming greater and greater :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 08:36:13 am »

Ive got microline gem windows in my Fort, saves on wasting gems except for fancy rooms.

also:

WTF does Alchemy do?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 08:36:59 am »

WTF does Alchemy do?
So far nothing

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 12:24:04 pm »

Fish dissectors are actually useful in some biomes.  Some kind of turtles, I think?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2012, 12:29:52 pm »

I actually started a beekeeping industry near my front gates in the hopes that when goblins come, they get stung by angry bees.

The royal jelly is also somewhat useful, but wax? Only if you have a legendary wax worker because seriously, it's worth the same as rocks. That could only be remotely useful if your challenge is no mining stone and trees are scarce.
My wooden badge was delicious.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4